wayneflorida

Law Bans Cash for Second Hand Transactions

This is one of the worst laws I've ever seen, and that's saying something. The correct way to deal with pawn related theft issues is to require that pawn shops get ID from whomever is selling the item.

If you read this law in a more inclusive manner, it says you can't sell anything to anyone for cash ever again, unless you are a retail outlet.

eta:
LA House Bill 195
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

This is one of the worst laws I've ever seen, and that's saying something. The correct way to deal with pawn related theft issues is to require that pawn shops get ID from whomever is selling the item.

If you read this law in a more inclusive manner, it says you can't sell anything to anyone for cash ever again, unless you are a retail outlet.

eta:
LA House Bill 195

You're correct. Additionally.... The law is so poorly written that it's practically unenforceable. Laughable.:D
Look at a bill of US currency. It sez: THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE. One could easily make that point that this law "disenfranchises" all US currency.!! ( Still laffing):D:D:D

eta:
LA House Bill 195

This is not about "theft issues". It's about taking an incremental step toward setting up the bureaucratic infrastructure for the collection of sales taxes for new and used items on all sales activities ....public and "private". Private cash sales would be banned because it would create an opportunity to criminally "forget" to report the transaction. Bartering is next.

eta:
LA House Bill 195

It should be great for the furtherence of the police state mentality.

eta:
LA House Bill 195

It should be great for the furtherence of the police state mentality.

What will the Government think of next? Require photo ID to allow someone to vote.

No, the people who passed that law aren't smart enough to think that far ahead.

Remember, never ascribe to plotting that which could be accounted for by sheer stupidity.

But hey -- it's Louisiana :):P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What the ****. Someone has to be challenging this.

The government can't force you to have a bank account. Cash is money.

Where is the ACLU?
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

No, the people who passed that law aren't smart enough to think that far ahead.

Remember, never ascribe to plotting that which could be accounted for by sheer stupidity.

But hey -- it's Louisiana :):P

Wendy P.

You're probably right ...they're likely all LSU grads. They've always got some silliness geauxing on over there.:)

Dammit, what New Orleans hooker takes plastic???:P

Does the law apply to goods and services? If so, which applies to the hooker? Is it considered "goods" or services? (If you take "something" home with you I suppose it could be considered a purchase of goods :P). Also, does "secondhand" imply "third-hand ......"50th-hand", etc.?

Dammit, what New Orleans hooker takes plastic???:P

Does the law apply to goods and services? If so, which applies to the hooker? Is it considered "goods" or services? (If you take "something" home with you I suppose it could be considered a purchase of goods :P). Also, does "secondhand" imply "third-hand ......"50th-hand", etc.?

Nope, I think Hookers would be considered a rental.

Let's say that you want to get increases in revenues. Under-the-table transactions are significant problem for governments. However, if the government bans cash, it was obtain a record of the transactions that occurred. it allows the tax man to get to it more easily.

Let's also say that you are the banking industry. These cash transactions make it difficult to make money. You say to a legislator, "People commit crimes unless banks are involved." There is a nice piece of legislation to benefit the banks on the basis of public risk.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>Let's say that you want to get increases in revenues. Under-the-table
>transactions are significant problem for governments. However, if the
>government bans cash, it was obtain a record of the transactions that
>occurred. it allows the tax man to get to it more easily.

That's only true if sales tax is how you get your tax money. (Which is one reason a national sales tax is a bad idea.)

the bill is targeted at criminals who steal anything from copper to televisions, and sell them for a quick buck. Having a paper trail will make it easier for law enforcement.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Good intention.
Fail.