regulator

Indiana college bans the national anthem

Goshen College (Ind.) is a Mennonite institution, and as such, committed to nonviolence. Its sports mascot, in fact, is the least threatening item found in nature — the leaf. But even some of its alumni must have been taken aback last year when college President Jim Brenneman banned the lyrics to the National Anthem at sporting events.

It was actually March 23, 2010 when Goshen played an instrumental-only version of the National Anthem before two sporting events — the first time since intercollegiate athletics began at the college in 1957 that the words weren’t used. This month the college has taken it a step further, banning the Anthem altogether.

The school’s board told Brenneman to “find an alternative to playing the National Anthem that fits with sports tradition, that honors country and that resonates with Goshen College’s core values and respects the views of diverse constituencies.”

“I am committed to retaining the best of what it means to be a Mennonite college, while opening the doors wider to all who share our core values,” Brenneman said. “And I invite others to join us at Goshen College as we make peace in all of its forms, even with the national anthem.”
Now let’s get out there and win!

Of course The Star Spangled Banner is a violent song, glorifying the bombardment of one of our forts in the War of 1812. I suppose we could have followed the example of the Mennonites and simply fled, giving the nation back to the British. But then we’d all be playing cricket.

After careful consideration and many hours alone with his iPod, Brenneman chose a replacement song: America the Beautiful.

Of course Brenneman fumbled this. Since the college is located in Indiana, the choice is clear: Their new anthem should be this:

http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2011/08/25/wakeup-call-indiana-college-bans-national-anthem-too-violent/related/

Yea... your probably right, he seems more like a "Oh Canada" type of guy.

While Canada's national anthem may not have references of "Bombs Bursting in Air", our anthem does have several militaristic and religious references.

Official English Version

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Yea, in England we often aren't allowed to sing the second verse to our National Anthem either as the Jocks get all pissy about it..

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the Queen.

Ah well thats the poridge wogs for you touchy as ever. :D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Not political correctness. Frankly it is embarassing that a Mennonite College has been playing the National Anthem since 1957. Totally inconsistent w/ Mennonite theology towards country. This is a step to align themselves with their own religious traditions. You (or I) might not agree w/ their pacificsm or stance towards government or country but nontheless I think it is good for them to act consistent with their beliefs.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Not political correctness. Frankly it is embarassing that a Mennonite College has been playing the National Anthem since 1957. Totally inconsistent w/ Mennonite theology towards country. This is a step to align themselves with their own religious traditions. You (or I) might not agree w/ their pacificsm or stance towards government or country but nontheless I think it is good for them to act consistent with their beliefs.

I agree with this 100%. Some religions have non-violence at the core of their creed; for example: Quakers, Amish .. and Mennonite. Calling them "pussies" is not only disrespectful toward them, it displays a great deal of ignorance about the Mennonites' creed in particular. Less talk; more research.

What a bunch of fucking pussies

What the fuck does it have to do with you? I very much doubt they're about to go crusading around the state trying to force other colleges or other sports teams to stop playing the national anthem at their stadium, they're simply doing what they want to do in their own space.

So y'know, unravel your panties, rinse out the sand and get over it, you big jessie.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Last time I check the constitution allowed me to have freedom of speech.

So what? Goshen College not playing the national anthem before running around a bit is also perfectly constitutionally valid. But since you feel justified in criticising them, you must conceed that I am also justified in criticising you.

So yeah, um, get over it.

Its their constitutional right to ban the national anthem
Its also my constitutional right to call them pussies

Again, so what? Why do you think that should make you immune from being called a big whinging jessie?

What the fuck does it have to do with YOU?

By bringing up the subject in an open forum you invited comment from the other users of the forum. It makes very little sense for you to get angry at the fact that people are commenting. About as much sense as it makes for you to get angry at the college doing their own thing at their own sports events in the first place. You should probably chill out before you rupture something.

What a bunch of fucking pussies

Really?

Study your history.

The Mennonites, Quaker and Amish have a lot more balls than you think.

Probably more balls than a lot of people on here.

They choose non-violence because of their beliefs. That doesn't make them cowards or pussies.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

***The last time I checked...this WOULDNT be the land of the free if we didnt fight for it.

Freedom doesn't require physical struggle and physical struggle doesn't make one Free.
I know that is a hard concept for you to embrace after all your years of conditioning.

Freedom comes from within.
It isn't reliant on external factors .

The key to true Freedom is to let go of all fear.

Peace

Yea... your probably right, he seems more like a "Oh Canada" type of guy.

While Canada's national anthem may not have references of "Bombs Bursting in Air", our anthem does have several militaristic and religious references.

Official English Version

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
God keep our land glorious and free!

I think, the Canadian Anthem is a good one.

Chuck

Oh my...I appreciate the uplifting words toward my christian brethren from some of the most vocal non-religious/athiests here...after all, it's you guys that post pictures of Jesus getting fucked up the ass. It is you guys that call us delusional neurotics who suffer from arrested development.

I can only imagine what you guys would say if one of our pacifist christians held office and allowed our country to be continually bombarded, raped and pilliaged.

I could only imagine what you say if one of our pacifist christian brethren told you to turn the other cheek as your lives were striped from you.

I imagine it would go somthing like..."fuck you benevolent Christian theocrats! Why should I lose my life because of your cowardly pushover of a God?

You may find the pacifism of some christians refreshing but at the end of the day you still consider them to be a bunch of fairy tale driven delusinal fucknut nerotics.

You guys can piss right the fuck off.

No thank you...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...