dreamdancer

Union Victory at Virginia IKEA Plant: Resistance Grows Against Race-to-Bottom Wages

When I ask any of my conservative friends that I work with; Name one idea that you disagree with Limbaugh on? I get the same old blank stare. Dittoheads get all their talking points from Rush, they are incapable of original political thought.

I don't listen to talk radio, so I can't comment on Limbaugh's ideas. But, you and Quade are saying he's the reason no one wants to join a union?
We are all engines of karma

When I ask any of my conservative friends that I work with; Name one idea that you disagree with Limbaugh on? I get the same old blank stare. Dittoheads get all their talking points from Rush, they are incapable of original political thought.

I don't listen to talk radio, so I can't comment on Limbaugh's ideas. But, you and Quade are saying he's the reason no one wants to join a union?

That's what they're attempting, yes...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Gee, they're giving the guy more power than he deserves, IMO.

No, it's just their view - anyone that doesn't agree with them MUST be some stupid hick in flyover land that gets all their information from Beck/Limbaugh.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

No, it's just their view - anyone that doesn't agree with them MUST be some stupid hick in flyover land that gets all their information from Beck/Limbaugh.

Negative, but nice try Mike.

On the other hand, if you're attempting to say that there hasn't been a concerted and orchestrated effort by the right wing to control certain segments of "the media" with which to continuously bombard the airwaves with conservative messages with the aim of turning the average person against his own financial best interests . . . then, I'm sorry buddy, but I'm just going to have to laugh in your face.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

On the other hand, if you're attempting to say that there hasn't been a concerted and orchestrated effort by the right wing to control certain segments of "the media" with which to continuously bombard the airwaves with conservative messages with the aim of turning the average person against his own financial best interests . . . then, I'm sorry buddy, but I'm just going to have to laugh in your face.

Funny how the liberal talk radio can't seem to get the same ratings as conservative. It's a conspiracy.:S
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Funny how the liberal talk radio can't seem to get the same ratings as conservative. It's a conspiracy.:S

I think that you will find the reason Limbaugh and his ilk have the highest talk radio ratings are simple; demographics, Average listeners to talk radio are white, over 45, and conservative,

I thing democrats, on average, do not need to be spoon fed their views and receive their news from a much wider variety of sources.

It is a fact, on average, democrats have a higher level of education than Republicans. In fact, the higher ones education level, the more likely they are Democrat.

"Own financial best interests"? Yup, this is me laughing in your face.

What's the stats for Limbaugh's show vs. the major media on TV, again?

And if YOU'RE attempting to say that there hasn't been a concerted and continuing orchestrated effort by the left wing to to bombard the airwaves with liberal messages with the aim of destroying the right in the court of public opinion....then yeah, this is me laughin in your face.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And there it is ladies and gents . . . a man defending a puppet of the rich bent on destroying the middle class so the rich can suck even more money out of your wallets.

Bravo for defending asshats, Mike. Good job.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You mean like the concerted and orchestrated effort by the unions to control the media and legal system by all means, legal and corrupt?
Tell me, quade, when was the last time you heard of a union picketer being charged with assault for beating up a replacement worker?
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

And there it is ladies and gents . . . a man defending a puppet of the rich bent on destroying the middle class so the rich can suck even more money out of your wallets.

Bravo for defending asshats, Mike. Good job.

So...no numbers to prove your point? Didn't think so.

And you're doing exactly the same, Paul - bravo for defending asshats. Good job.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So the portion that voted against union representation do not have to join the union or pay an agency fee to keep their job?

Virginia is a right to work state, so nobody will be forced to join a union to keep their job. I think they may be required to pay some portion of the union membership dues, but I don't know the details on that.

Danville really, really cannot afford to lose jobs, I hope this does not cause the plant to close or move. I would guess that one reason IKEA opened a plant there is that there are plenty of people w/ production/manufacturing experience willing to work for relatively low wages.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Funny how the liberal talk radio can't seem to get the same ratings as conservative. It's a conspiracy.Crazy

Nobody listened to Air America so they couldn't sell advertising.

Folks who earn/save money listen to talk radio to stay informed
Folks who use foodstamps listen to Pdiddy

Quade, It's not a conspiracy at all. An audience for left-wing radio simply doesn't exist

Yes right-wing radio is anti-union. It's 2011. Sack up and find a decent paying job. If you can't earn more than $10/hr as an adult then it's your own damn fault.

Folks who earn/save money listen to talk radio to stay informed
Folks who use foodstamps listen to Pdiddy

Then why are the states with the highest food stamp use Red?

Try and at least veil your racist views.

Mmmmm yeah.. tht is so not gonna happen.... Lush Rimjob will never allow that thought to enter their heads.

If unions are so great, I'd expect people lining up to join them. Why isn't that the case?

Because there has been an AMAZING amount of brain washing going on since the mid-'80s.

It's a matter of dollars and cents. How many auto manufacturing jobs did Michigan lose since 2000? 100k? At least? And yet auto manufacturing added about 100k jobs in states throughout the south that are not closed shop states.

I somehow get the feeling that those 100k or so union people without jobs are not doing as well as the 100k or so non-union people with jobs. There's a whole "Rust Belt" out there where the good paying jobs are fucking gone!

And it wasn't a Reagan phenomenon. Just watch Slap Shot (which came out in 77 or 78) and was centered on the plight of closing steel mills.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Try and at least veil your racist views.

Did you just call me racist?

My point, more specifically, is that people who work hard to earn and save money are more likely to listen to talk radio.

People who eat government cheese are less likely to listen to talk radio. These are people who's views are in-line with Stephanie Miller and Randi Rhodes

And yes there are religious loonies on gov't care that listen to Rush

BTW your avatar is creeping me out

Hmmm. The top four are California, Florida, New York and Texas have the highest food stamp usage. California and New York are pretty heftily Blue states! Florida is a Blue state (unless Al Gore didn't actually win the election). And Texas is a red state with a hefty immigrant population.

So I'm struggling to see the validity of your statement....

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I think they may be required to pay some portion of the union membership dues, but I don't know the details on that.

That is called an agency fee. Non-union workers in a union shop must pay an agancy fee to the union for the union having done them the, ahem, "favor" of negotiating wages. Those workers cannot vote in union elections and the only thing they get for their fee is to be allowed by the union to work there. It doesn't matter if the company wants them, if they don't pay the union, they can't work.
Unions: Extortion at it's finest and blessed by the government.
HAMMER:

I think that you will find the reason Limbaugh and his ilk have the highest talk radio ratings are simple; demographics, Average listeners to talk radio are white, over 45, and conservative,

I thing democrats, on average, do not need to be spoon fed their views and receive their news from a much wider variety of sources.

San Francisco has leftist equivalents to Rush - they're painful to listen to. Ignoring his little drug problem, it seems like the fat man is just a better entertainer than most, a Howard Stern of politics. The fact that he's still around, while bozos like Beck come and go, supports this notion.

Until Jon Steward and Stephen Colbert came along, there just wasn't a funny guy to represent the left. They tended to be whiny, unpleasant to listen to. The world is falling apart, our bodies are full of radioactive fallout. WTF would anyone want to listen to this with their free time?

I think they may be required to pay some portion of the union membership dues, but I don't know the details on that.

That is called an agency fee. Non-union workers in a union shop must pay an agancy fee to the union for the union having done them the, ahem, "favor" of negotiating wages. Those workers cannot vote in union elections and the only thing they get for their fee is to be allowed by the union to work there. It doesn't matter if the company wants them, if they don't pay the union, they can't work.

I'm no expert but from what I read here it looks as though that is also illegal here in Virginia:

§ 40.1-62. Employer not to require payment of union dues, etc. -- No employer shall require any person, as a condition of employment or continuation of employment, to pay any dues, fees or other charges of any kind to any labor union or labor organization. (Enacted 1947; amended 1970.)
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

San Francisco has leftist equivalents to Rush

Akron used to have Air America syndicated on a local AM station. It was a giant bushbash orgy lacking any substance. I did listen a bit though.

One of my all-time favorites is the right-wing nutter dude that's on really late - he has the NY accent ? Can't remember but he's NUTS!

This response is not directed at you, BV.

But I can only conclude that the common worker is the common worker's most belligerent enemy in the US. The Koch brothers and other ultra-radical billionaires have won!!!!
I am out of this fucking country as soon as I can. Enjoy your future London-style riots!!! W/o health-care or safety net!!

And as far as IKEA goes: they are a socially responsible company, unless the employees have no social compass at all!! Like the workers in the US!!!!!

>though at the moment they have both jobs and union membership so good news

True! That's like being given two weeks notice that you will be fired. Who wouldn't take that as good news?

I'm no expert but from what I read here it looks as though that is also illegal here in Virginia:

§ 40.1-62. Employer not to require payment of union dues, etc. -- No employer shall require any person, as a condition of employment or continuation of employment, to pay any dues, fees or other charges of any kind to any labor union or labor organization. (Enacted 1947; amended 1970.)

That is a good thing.
Thanks for posting that. :)
HAMMER: