dreamdancer

Union Victory at Virginia IKEA Plant: Resistance Grows Against Race-to-Bottom Wages

In order to have a victor you must have some entity lose. In this caes it's IKEA.

This presumes a zero sum game.

It sounds like IKEA... wins... They certainly are paying the workers hee far less than they pay Swedish workers in pay and benefits. It looks like in both cases, here and there, the workers and the company win.

a substantial majority of workers voted for the creation of a union - democracy in action :)

...and have denied the rest the freedom of choice to work for whom they wish and to negotiate their own wages. If that is democracy then you can keep it.

Freedom to negotiate their own wage? 8 dollars an hour? How much negotiating do you think went on?

$16,000 a year, what fool started the other thread about the American middle class vanishing?

What concern is it of yours what they agreed to work for? If you don't want to work for $8.hr, then don't. But you have no right..NONE...to tell somebody else they can't.
I consider it a basic human right to work for who you want in return for whatever compensation you negotiate for. Unions take that right away.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

How quickly we lose the OP's point. Union VICTORY is proclaimed. In order to have a victor you must have some entity lose. In this caes it's IKEA. As is all too often the case companies will go looking elsewhere for a more friendly place to produce their goods. Might happen, might not happen.

I used to live in N. Canton, Ohio. Their claim to fame was the headquarters of the Hoover Co. You know, the vacuum people. The union won alot of victories there too.

Mexico loved those union folk at Hoover. Because of them, Hoover was shipping tailer loads of parts to Mexico and bringing back assembled sweepers.
HAMMER:

good news...

After deciding on furniture, I'm going to go with the lowest price. IKEA will have my business as long as there prices are the lowest...

If a 2yr old in China can sling a recliner my way for cheaper than IKEA -then I'm buying baby!

UnAmerican you say?? then YOU buy IKEA furniture and leave me alone

What concern is it of yours what they agreed to work for? If you don't want to work for $8.hr, then don't. But you have no right..NONE...to tell somebody else they can't.
I consider it a basic human right to work for who you want in return for whatever compensation you negotiate for. Unions take that right away.

Here's some pictures from the good old days when America was at it's height of providing basic human rights. Good honest work for an honest day's pay, until the unions fucked it all up.

http://www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/childlabor/

Here's some pictures from the good old days when America was at it's height of providing basic human rights. Good honest work for an honest day's pay, until the unions fucked it all up.

http://www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/childlabor/

It wasn't just the unions that led to LAWS that banned such practices.
If I want to work for Bob for $8/hr, who the fuck are you and Ted to say I can't? If you and Ted want to join together and refuse to work for Bob for less than $10/hr, that is your business. Just don't force me to join you.
HAMMER:

If I want to work for Bob for $8/hr, who the fuck are you and Ted to say I can't

When I as a taxpayer, have to pay higher taxes because you and your family cannot afford medical insurance and you get your childrens primary care at the local ER. When you need to get food stamps to feed your family, when I have to pay for the welfare that your grandchildren will need because we all know the teenage pregnancy rates of those living in poverty. Poor people suck in way more that they put out.

We also know the children of the poor are much more likely to commit crimes, drink, and become addicted.

What type of taxes does someone making 16 grand a year contribute to society?

If I want to work for Bob for $8/hr, who the fuck are you and Ted to say I can't?

And If -I- can't afford to live on $8 per hour and the only jobs in town are being taken up by idiots too fuckin' stupid to hold out for a higher wage, then why shouldn't I try to rally some folks together in an attempt to get a more reasonable wage?

Don't just assume it's all some kind of con game by the union leadership. There IS power in numbers and even if Ikea had to pay people in the US the equivalent pay of those in Sweden, they'd -still- come out on top because they wouldn't be incurring overseas shipping charges and import taxes.

Honest to god, why would anyone work for minimum wage?

Oh yeah, that's right, because for the company to pay you less, it would be illegal.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You could use the same reasoning to justify a lot of things. Why not physically limit the speed of cars and trucks to 60 mph? Why not raise the minimum driving age to 25? Why not force everyone to wear safety glasses when outside their own home?
HAMMER:

If I want to work for Bob for $8/hr, who the fuck are you and Ted to say I can't?

And If -I- can't afford to live on $8 per hour and the only jobs in town are being taken up by idiots too fuckin' stupid to hold out for a higher wage, then why shouldn't I try to rally some folks together in an attempt to get a more reasonable wage?

Don't just assume it's all some kind of con game by the union leadership. There IS power in numbers and even if Ikea had to pay people in the US the equivalent pay of those in Sweden, they'd -still- come out on top because they wouldn't be incurring overseas shipping charges and import taxes.

Oh yeah, that's right, because for the company to pay you less, it would be illegal.

It is called "freedom of choice", quade. "Freedom of choice". Just because you aren't willing to work for $8/hr and can live on it doesn't mean nobody else is.
HAMMER:

No one is saying you can't do that. But, if you do that, you shouldn't be forcing everyone to join you. When you start forcing people to pay vig to work, then aren't fiscally responsible with that money, and start making really stupid decisions that impede a company's owner from running his business, then people should be allowed to say, "I don't want any part of this".

In the current vernacular, it's called right to work.
We are all engines of karma

It is called "freedom of choice",

only in libertarian lalaland. out in the real world unions (free association) aren't seen as the enemy...
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

only in libertarian lalaland. out in the real world unions (free association) aren't seen as the enemy...

Ever try parking a Toyota in front of a Carpenter's local? Yes..it's 2011 and they will tell you to move it. They have forced people to move vehicles that they don't own that sit on public roads.

If unions are so necessary, why are there none in the skydiving world? I mean Quade said there is power in numbers. There are plenty of I's out there humping it everyday...

If unions are so necessary, why are there none in the skydiving world? I mean Quade said there is power in numbers. There are plenty of I's out there humping it everyday...

Because there's always somebody willing to undercut and the instructor's haven't figured out that if they hung together, they'd have more power.

When it comes to DZ "school" operations, the tandem passengers aren't the only ones being taken for a ride.
quade -

It is called "freedom of choice",

Right and when a company votes the union out BY A DEMOCRATIC vote of the member/employees and the union pickets that companies customers until they force said company out or business They're not the enemy??
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Because there's always somebody willing to undercut and the instructor's haven't figured out that if they hung together, they'd have more power.

If unions are so great, I'd expect people lining up to join them. Why isn't that the case?

What's wrong with someone coming in at a better price? Capitalism at it's best, especially if the quality is there.
We are all engines of karma

If unions are so great, I'd expect people lining up to join them. Why isn't that the case?

Because there has been an AMAZING amount of brain washing going on since the mid-'80s.
quade -

Because there has been an AMAZING amount of brain washing going on since the mid-'80s.

You lost me there... How so?

Well, let's say I was this big fat idiot with a radio show and said unions were "bad" ever single day for 30 years . . .
quade -

When I ask any of my conservative friends that I work with; Name one idea that you disagree with Limbaugh on? I get the same old blank stare. Dittoheads get all their talking points from Rush, they are incapable of original political thought.

Rush said it, I believe it, and that settles it.

Well, let's say I was this big fat idiot with a radio show and said unions were "bad" ever single day for 30 years . . .

Michael Moore?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706