jimbrown

10 years later

>You do a fantastic job of purposely misinterpreting, you know.

We killed 30,000 civilians in Iraq. And you believe we were not aggressive enough? Who else should we have "aggressively eliminated?"

Uhhhh...Nancy Kerrigan?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The - amount - of - times - I - have - had - to - use - this - word - is - unprecedented - because - it - seems - it - i s - all - many - of - the - folk - here - have - to - go - on when - it - comes - to - discussion - US - foreighn - policy

wow doi lay off the glue

wow doi lay off the glue

hmm Lets see.

When anybody, be it me or anyone else mentions the reality of the situation in Afghanistan (or iraq, 9/11 etcetera), the straw man tactic of ad hominen is used and the coinversation strays away from the subject into a discussion about the integrety of the person asking the questions rather than addressing the subject.

This conversation is a text book example.

Try laying off the propaganda.

I take it if I told you to go fuck yourself or called you an asshole ouright you would consider that a personal attack. and would warn me.

Then you read past two people making such comments and let them slide..

I take it if I told you to go fuck yourself or called you an asshole ouright you would consider that a personal attack. and would warn me.

Then you read past two people making such comments and let them slide..

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....:(
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

the straw man tactic of ad hominen is used

Straw man and ad hom are two completely different things.

A straw man is misrepresentation of an opponent's argument that is raised in order to be more easily refuted, giving the appearance of having beaten said opponent. Saying "Hey, you're a total dick" is not a strawman.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

In US skydiving, the comment "hey asshole" is very, very common. It's followed by "sound off," and then everyone on the airplane (or other group) flips the bird.

It's a well-known tradition in the US. My point in that post was that context matters -- that something you say in conversation that sounds offensive about the US might not have the same impact as something you say in relative isolation on an internet thread.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So the President may have wanted a rapid withdrawal from Afghanistan due to public pressure but the Generals want to stay and are urging him to

Look at the word "urge". sounds more like they are pleading to Obama. The Generals do not tell a U. S president what to do. Look at McChrystal's example.

To say that someone who has the ability to get himself into the Presidency will allow some General to order him around is counterintuitive to the leadership and assertive power required to find oneself in that Office.

A general may be high up in the Military, but he is just a General Officer among other powerhouses that the President has working for him or with him.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I thought creating multiple screen names and anonymous accounts to hide your true identity was a reason to get banned?

It is. Could be the mods are letting it slide for entertainment purposes.
HAMMER:

I thought creating multiple screen names and anonymous accounts to hide your true identity was a reason to get banned?

Well, that's understandable. I definitely find it entertaining in a "who do you think you're kidding" kind of way. :P

Well, that's understandable. I definitely find it entertaining in a "who do you think you're kidding" kind of way. :P

I think of them as 'horse-flies'! They just kinda buzz around and irritate the shit outa' ya! Sometimes you have to swat 'em!:D

Chuck

I think of them as 'horse-flies'! They just kinda buzz around and irritate the shit outa' ya! Sometimes you have to swat 'em!:D

Chuck

I love the smell of nanothermite in the morning.... it smells like ......... jealousy:D:D:D

:D:D:D:D

I like the smell of cow-shit in the morning! That's the smell of money!;):D

Chuck

Careful....could be supernanothermitemathanestuff in those cow pies!
HAMMER:

Chuck

Aw, man! You just had to go and say that... didn't you? [:/]

Chuck

Say it?? Hell, I could barely spell it! :P
HAMMER:

Chuck

Aw, man! You just had to go and say that... didn't you? [:/]

Chuck

Say it?? Hell, I could barely spell it! :P

:D:D:D:D:D

Chuck

Yep, all we need is more tanks and more carpet-bombing. Solutions to the problems of the world are so very simple when you're sitting behind a computer.

Hey, clorox bleach kills the AIDS virus on contact. So to cure someone of AIDS, just inject them with Clorox. These scientists and doctors with all their fancy degrees, but can't figure this out, must have their heads up their asses!
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Tell ya what, since you feel so strongly, a few friends are are gathering here Monday. Care to stop by and voice your opinions? I'm sure we'd all be interested in what you have to say.

You must feel very powerless in this discussion (presumably due to your inability to construct a compelling competing argument), because you feel the need to indulge in these retribution fantasies.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

How about filling in your profile with some more details?

Can you point to where this site states that it is mandatory to have a filled in profile? No, you can't.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

Unfortunately the fear of acknowledging the truth is so immense that ad hominem and personal attacks are all that can be presented to the contrary of these points by people that suggest they have a deep understanding of the subject.

Ego is likely the main reason these discussions end up this way, humans are quite reluctant to admit fault at the best of times.

Well said. There has barely been an attempt to refute the claims made in the first post, presumably because people realize the futility of doing so.