wayneflorida

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

By the way, the English requirement was racially motivated. Our founding fathers didn't see it as necessary.
Source; http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/historyonline/immigration_chron.cfm

It is all about context, I assume that back then most immigrants learned and spoke some english.

Slippery slope of implying the intent of the founders so literaly. Just because a language requirement was absence doesn't mean that the founding fathers would have been accepting of todays situation where some immigrants make no effort to learn english or become part of the "melting pot".

Some of the founding fathers also considered blacks to be property, and women to be more fit for kitchen work than more intelectual exercises like voting.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

>why would the ones that push to be more "green" be the ones promoting chopping
>down 2-3 times the amount of trees to print things in multiple languages?

?? It does not take any more trees to print something in French as compared to English.

ooooooh, an obtuseness contest. I'll bite

I takes twice as much room to print MCCXXXVIII than just 1238 - those damn romans are killing the earth

{{unless he was talking about having to print forms in French and ALSO in english, rather than just in english - perhaps keep it to one copy, just print it in 10 languages, and then make the print 1/10th the size so they all fit the same page as the orignal with the one common language - but then that would be unfair to people over 40 - at least you could just print in braille over top of it all}}

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>unless he was talking about having to print forms in French and ALSO in english, rather
> than just in english - perhaps keep it to one copy, just print it in 10 languages

We have a voting station at a high school near my house. There are voting instructions there in three languages - Vietnamese, Spanish and English. They have about 100 copies in English, 40 in Spanish and 10 in Vietnamese. Seems to work just fine; people read them and return them when they're done.

The alternative, I suppose, would be to print 150 copies in English to cover the expected number of people. Seems less effective to me.

?? It does not take any more trees to print something in French as compared to English.

ooooooh, an obtuseness contest. I'll bite

I takes twice as much room to print MCCXXXVIII than just 1238 - those damn romans are killing the earth......

Yes, and the use of Arabic numerals saves trees. Just look at the Sahara Forest (and the rest of the Arab lands.) :D.

I thought you could think a little deeper than your comment. The point I was making is that everything is printed multiple times, like instructions on all notices posted at the gov. places are either double sized or they have a second or third made, one for each language, why the waste? the instructions for the water heater I just bought is 37 pages long only 9 are in english. this is the waste that is not needed.

>Yes, and the use of Arabic numerals saves trees.

Arabic numerals hate us because we are free.

now you're just hatin' on brown numerals in general - not all Arabic numerals hate freedom, just those very few that fit into a certain background and indoctrination - don't hate all numerals just because a few are bad digits

for the children:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I thought you could think a little deeper than your comment. The point I was making is that everything is printed multiple times, like instructions on all notices posted at the gov. places are either double sized or they have a second or third made, one for each language, why the waste? the instructions for the water heater I just bought is 37 pages long only 9 are in english. this is the waste that is not needed.

He can. But he has a job to do here
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>the instructions for the water heater I just bought is 37 pages long only 9 are in
>english. this is the waste that is not needed.

So how do you solve that problem? A law that says companies cannot print their instructions in multiple languages?

Yup to point out to the clueless that there are 6.5 billion people on this planet and multinational corporations that those same clueless corporate bootlickers who want to give EVERYTHING to those corporations in hopes for that little trickle, tend to do business in many countries... where English is probably not the language of common use. This way they get to print one manual... that goes in the box with their product that will be sold in many different countries, thereby saving time and energy and making them more profit. You would not wish to dissallow corporations to make as much profit as they can now would you Marc???? You some kind of commie there bud???

the instructions for the water heater I just bought is 37 pages long only 9 are in english. this is the waste that is not needed.

Maybe it's not sold only in the US. German and French aren't languages that commonly need to be used in the US for comprehension, but instructions for equipment are often translated into them.

And if a company decides to do something, isn't it their right?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yup to point out to the clueless that there are 6.5 billion people on this planet and multinational corporations that those same clueless corporate bootlickers who want to give EVERYTHING to those corporations in hopes for that little trickle, tend to do business in many countries... where English is probably not the language of common use. This way they get to print one manual... that goes in the box with their product that will be sold in many different countries, thereby saving time and energy and making them more profit.

Since when did other countries have hot water? Don't other nations fetch water from the river in big pots the women carry on their heads?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

And if a company decides to do something, isn't it their right?

Wendy P.

Companies? Yes
They have the right to decide how they want to do business

The Government?
Should all be in english
Abraham Lincoln

The Government?
Should all be in english

Which part of the Constitution says that?

P.S. Names of languages are capitalized in English.

Hi DICK
Who mentioned the Constitution here?
Abraham Lincoln

>the instructions for the water heater I just bought is 37 pages long only 9 are in
>english. this is the waste that is not needed.

So how do you solve that problem? A law that says companies cannot print their instructions in multiple languages?

the fed gov is doing the same thing, wasting 3 times the amount of paper and ink when it is not needed. why should we pay to print in other languages?

>unless he was talking about having to print forms in French and ALSO in english, rather
> than just in english - perhaps keep it to one copy, just print it in 10 languages

We have a voting station at a high school near my house. There are voting instructions there in three languages - Vietnamese, Spanish and English. They have about 100 copies in English, 40 in Spanish and 10 in Vietnamese. Seems to work just fine; people read them and return them when they're done.

The alternative, I suppose, would be to print 150 copies in English to cover the expected number of people. Seems less effective to me.

Or they could print 100 copies in English, 0 in Spanish, and 0 in Vietnamese.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

The Government?
Should all be in english

Hi DICK

What is the name of the document that tells the US government what it must and cannot do?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The Government?
Should all be in english

Hi DICK

What is the name of the document that tells the US government what it must and cannot do?

The United Nations Charter, Chapter V, Article 25 and Chapter XIV.

The Government?
Should all be in english

Hi DICK

Ooooo

You know that one

How does that fit in this conversation Dick?
Abraham Lincoln

The Government?
Should all be in english

Hi DICK

Ooooo

You know that one

You just sound like an old, disappointed man. :|
Disgusting, man.

:S

dudeist skydiver # 3105

The Government?
Should all be in english

Hi DICK

Ooooo

You know that one

You just sound like an old, disappointed man. :|
Disgusting, man.

:S

If I am, I am one that does not give two squirts of piss about what you think of me
Abraham Lincoln

Rush, your one and only warning and applies not to just this thread but to any you may participate in.

I can understand a person making a mistake about a person's name once. It has happened to all of us, but this is clearly not the case here.

You will stop now or be banned. There is no third option.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>Or they could print 100 copies in English, 0 in Spanish, and 0 in Vietnamese.

True. They could also print 10 in English, 0 in Spanish and 0 in Vietnamese. That's a 90% savings! Or they could just tell people to read it on the web via their smartphones. That would save even more.