wayneflorida

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

Because it drives liberal nerds crazy!

I see. So, you are attempting to be deliberately annoying? Trolling with your poor English? Is that really the excuse you want to go with?

Nope
Just dishin back what you throw out

Don’t like it? Then stop

You see, I don’t care that you talk down your nose to me. I do not need your approval to be comfortable with myself or my opinions

So, want to go back to the topic without the condescension or not?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Actually Rush, you've provided ample examples of condescension here. I'm certain the irony is lost on you though.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Actually Rush, you've provided ample examples of condescension here. I'm certain the irony is lost on you though.

So, your reply that referenced only my typing was on topic then?

Very good

Something to be remembered in the future my good man
Abraham Lincoln

So, you reply that referenced only my typing was on topic then?

Very good

I'm sorry; please post in English so we can understand what you're trying to say.

Can you perhaps see the problem?
quade -

Very good

I'm sorry; please post in English so we can understand what you're trying to say.

If you care to look my error was fixed befor your reply

But I see that this is the path you wish to remain on

Not surprising seeing how you cant sit down yet again
Abraham Lincoln

Immigrants who want to acquire citizenship over here are now required to take classes (with a final test) beforehand to gain a certain level of both vocabulary and fluency in German. I favour this.
But OTOH, if someone whose first language is not German resorts to an interpreter, I do not object since - at least in my eyes - this is a legitimate reason for doing so.
I support the idea to be able to speak with the locals in their language and think it is a basic sign of politeness to learn the language of the country the citizenship of which I want to be given. But that doesn't mean I want immigrants to give up their mother tongue. Growing up bilingually, for example, makes children richer in many ways.
These thoughts should apply to the US as well, IMHO.

BTW: I think it's hilarious (to put it politely) if people who claim that immigrants have to "speak our language" express this wish in bad English. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :P

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Very good

I'm sorry, sir, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave if you don't post in English.
quade -

Very good

I'm sorry, sir, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave if you don't post in English.

I dont type in english

sheeesh
Abraham Lincoln

Can you see now how incredibly easy it would be to abuse power if it was required?

Nope

But I see often how you abuse yours
Abraham Lincoln

Good to hear that!

I have a friend who spent most of the 90's in the USAF.
They stationed him in Germany for a couple years, so he learned German.
Then they put him in Italy for a year, so he learned Italian.

When off duty and off base, he always wore clothes purchased locally so he would blend in and not stand out as an American. He has some amusing stories of foreign tourists stopping him to ask directions while attempting to speak the local language. On some occasions it would be American tourists. He usually just responded in the local language.

It is good to hear. Since if there is one thing Americans are known for around the world, it would be quite the opposite.

Lo siento, no voy a hablar Inglés. Por favor, hable Español para mí.

With the way the world is changing, I am thinking if I knew better Spanish than the basics I know now, life would be easier as I could relocate to a lesser expensive part of the world in Central or South America. Life in North America and Europe is getting rather expensive these days. My problems with Spanish is that I can actually read the language and have a reasonably idea of what the text says, but the Spanish speaking people talk too fast and I am lost if/when they speak to me. Of course we really should be learning Mandarin as the Chinese are poised to swallow the world and the Chinese only care about the Chinese.

It could be worse. We could be Frenchies from La Belle Province. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'm sorry, but do I understand correctly that you have been here for more than 25 years? You should be able to write in proper English. The fact that you refuse to is a clear sign of your ignorance towards real Americans and your desire to destroy the country!

I'm sorry, but do I understand correctly that you have been here for more than 25 years? You should be able to write in proper English. The fact that you refuse to is a clear sign of your ignorance towards real Americans and your desire to destroy the country!

:D

You should be sorry:D
Abraham Lincoln

Can you see now how incredibly easy it would be to abuse power if it was required?

True. But can you also not see this as an example of our current tolerance being abused the other way?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

True. But can you also not see this as an example of our current tolerance being abused the other way?

No, because at no point has it been established how well the person could express himself in English.

For instance, I can if forced, muddle my way through a restaurant and bar order in Mexico with my limited amount of Spanish. However, I would not in any way, shape or form be able to express myself well there in a court.
quade -

Oh, come on Quade. The wetback clearly thumbed his nose at real Americans by refusing to speak English. After he destroyed Mexico, he is now here to destroy the US, helped by weak liberals like you!

(I tell you the comments on the article really are great reading)

No, because at no point has it been established how well the person could express himself in English.

Obviously he didn't feel he could speak it well enough to use his English to testify.

For instance, I can if forced, muddle my way through a restaurant and bar order in Mexico with my limited amount of Spanish. However, I would not in any way, shape or form be able to express myself well there in a court.

Nor would anyone expect you to if you were there just visiting or had only lived there a couple years. But 23?:o One would actively have to refuse to learn a language fluently if immeresed in it for that long.

Nor would anyone expect you to if you were there just visiting or had only lived there a couple years. But 23?:o One would actively have to refuse to learn a language fluently if immeresed in it for that long.

Except there is also no requirement for anyone to be "immersed" in English. This is actually more true today than it ever has been considering the wide distribution and availability of Spanish language news and entertainment on satellite, cable and the internet.
quade -

Because it drives liberal nerds crazy!

I see. So, you are attempting to be deliberately annoying? Trolling with your poor English? Is that really the excuse you want to go with?

I have met him and he speaks English very well.

I can assure you of that, Paul.

Immigrants who want to acquire citizenship over here are now required to take classes (with a final test) beforehand to gain a certain level of both vocabulary and fluency in German. I favour this.
But OTOH, if someone whose first language is not German resorts to an interpreter, I do not object since - at least in my eyes - this is a legitimate reason for doing so.
I support the idea to be able to speak with the locals in their language and think it is a basic sign of politeness to learn the language of the country the citizenship of which I want to be given. But that doesn't mean I want immigrants to give up their mother tongue. Growing up bilingually, for example, makes children richer in many ways.

BTW: I think it's hilarious (to put it politely) if people who claim that immigrants have to "speak our language" express this wish in bad English. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :P

Yeah, well we object your use of your mothers tongue, you should be ashamed of yourself!:D:D:D:D

Except there is also no requirement for anyone to be "immersed" in English. This is actually more true today than it ever has been considering the wide distribution and availability of Spanish language news and entertainment on satellite, cable and the internet.

Who said anything about requirements? My whole point has been over how he did not help his cause.

If one chooses to not learn the language used in political proceedings, that's their right, but as seen here, it can come back to bite them.

FWIW, I think the line was crossed when the senator said not speaking English was insulting.

Sadly, we have a rather large sub-culture in the USA that ascribes to the "Dumb as dirt, and proud of it" school of non-thought. The are found all over the political spectrum, from the ghetto's of our inner cities to the rural communities across the country.

Sadly, we have a rather large sub-culture in the USA that ascribes to the "Dumb as dirt, and proud of it" school of non-thought. The are found all over the political spectrum, from the ghetto's of our inner cities to the rural communities across the country.

And in cubes and offices in the great NW
Abraham Lincoln