wayneflorida

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

Antolin Aguirre of the Austin Immigrant Rights Coalition was testifying against Senate Bill 9 that would help crack down on illegal immigrants in Texas.

Irony overload...

Two minutes into Antolin Aguirre’s testimony, Sen. Chris Harris, a Republican from Arlington, interrupted asking Aguirre’s interrupter, "Did I understand him correctly that he has been here since 1988?" Harris asked. "Why aren’t you speaking in English then?"

A legitimate question.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

A legitimate question.

Not really. There is no legal requirement to speak English in the US. It might score him some points in certain sectors, but overall it was an inappropriate question to begin with.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

A legitimate question.

Not really. There is no legal requirement to speak English in the US. It might score him some points in certain sectors, but overall it was an inappropriate question to begin with.

No, it is not inappropriate to ask

All governement funtions SHOULD be in english.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

A legitimate question.

It's not a legal requirement, but if you're speaking on the topic of immigration, you're basically weakening your own argument.

It's sorta like (but far less extreme) a clansmen or a skinhead speaking on the topic of affirmative action. ;)

Funny, my good friend growing up was from Mexico. He didn't speak a lick of english we he moved up here, but he became a fluent english speaker and speaks primarily in english unless he is speaking with some one who ONLY speaks spanish. He felt it was his responsibility.

He must be a racist who hates Mexicans too.

My grandfather who was shipped to England from Germany at age 12 to escape the Nazi's spoke only German. He learned English and continued speaking English when moving to the US and becoming a citizen.

He must have been a racist and an antisemite who hated his German Jewish background.

And if I ever move to China, or India, or South America I will learn the language of where I reside and I will speak make that language my primary one.

I must be a racist that hates Americans.

:S

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Says who? You?

Yep!
Abraham Lincoln

Says who? You?

I say it, as do many others.

Then make it the official language.

In some states, it is!
Abraham Lincoln

Says who? You?

most americans that honor the country and pay taxes

:D

I find it enjoyable at to how many times lately quade has got his ass handed to him on this board:D
Abraham Lincoln

It should be in English just for the sole fact that there needs to be a common form of communication between all parties.

Should there then be a requirement that a person has to reach a certain level of proficiency before they have rights or the ability to testify?

What should that level be? Should they have to score a 800s on the English portions of the SAT or will the skills of a two-year-old suffice?
quade -

It should be in English just for the sole fact that there needs to be a common form of communication between all parties.

Should there then be a requirement that a person has to reach a certain level of proficiency before they have rights or the ability to testify?

What should that level be? Should they have to score a 800s on the English portions of the SAT or will the skills of a two-year-old suffice?

How do you sit down?
Abraham Lincoln

Says who? You?

most americans that honor the country and pay taxes

I find it enjoyable at to how many times lately quade has got his ass handed to him on this board:D

Why are you not punctuating properly?

Because it drives liberal nerds crazy!

Abraham Lincoln

A legitimate question.

That would require a proper and error-free English .... :S (at least in such a short senctence, man [:/])

edited to add: 3 errors in 7 words - that's a new high, even for you.

You're doing a disserve to yourself.

edit No. 2: Yes, I know, it's called *disservice* ... :P

dudeist skydiver # 3105

A legitimate question.

That would require a proper and error-free English .... :S (at least in such a short senctence, man [:/])

See?

Works on you!

Abraham Lincoln

Good to hear that!

I have a friend who spent most of the 90's in the USAF.
They stationed him in Germany for a couple years, so he learned German.
Then they put him in Italy for a year, so he learned Italian.

When off duty and off base, he always wore clothes purchased locally so he would blend in and not stand out as an American. He has some amusing stories of foreign tourists stopping him to ask directions while attempting to speak the local language. On some occasions it would be American tourists.:D He usually just responded in the local language.:ph34r:

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Because it drives liberal nerds crazy!

I see. So, you are attempting to be deliberately annoying? Trolling with your poor English? Is that really the excuse you want to go with?
quade -

Should there be provisions to allow everyone to speak? Sure but at the same time they shouldn't be abused.

The issue is not that he was uncomfortable speaking English and speaking Spanish it's that he was doing it 23 years after coming to this country.

Had this man simply left his time in country unmentioned unless asked, his testimony would have likely held more value.

Of course now it's a publicity/controversy rod.