wayneflorida

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

Immigrants who want to acquire citizenship over here are now required to take classes (with a final test) beforehand to gain a certain level of both vocabulary and fluency in German. I favour this.
But OTOH, if someone whose first language is not German resorts to an interpreter, I do not object since - at least in my eyes - this is a legitimate reason for doing so.
I support the idea to be able to speak with the locals in their language and think it is a basic sign of politeness to learn the language of the country the citizenship of which I want to be given. But that doesn't mean I want immigrants to give up their mother tongue. Growing up bilingually, for example, makes children richer in many ways.
These thoughts should apply to the US as well, IMHO.

BTW: I think it's hilarious (to put it politely) if people who claim that immigrants have to "speak our language" express this wish in bad English. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :P

Sadly, we have a rather large sub-culture in the USA that ascribes to the "Dumb as dirt, and proud of it" school of non-thought. The are found all over the political spectrum, from the ghetto's of our inner cities to the rural communities across the country.

And in cubes and offices in the great NW

AWW poor wittle marc is all butt hurt yet again.... and he strikes out with his wittle attempt at wetwribution he werned from wittle mikeee:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Immigrants who want to acquire citizenship over here are now required to take classes (with a final test) beforehand to gain a certain level of both vocabulary and fluency in German. I favour this.
But OTOH, if someone whose first language is not German resorts to an interpreter, I do not object since - at least in my eyes - this is a legitimate reason for doing so.
I support the idea to be able to speak with the locals in their language and think it is a basic sign of politeness to learn the language of the country the citizenship of which I want to be given. But that doesn't mean I want immigrants to give up their mother tongue. Growing up bilingually, for example, makes children richer in many ways.
These thoughts should apply to the US as well, IMHO.

BTW: I think it's hilarious (to put it politely) if people who claim that immigrants have to "speak our language" express this wish in bad English. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :P

Sadly, we have a rather large sub-culture in the USA that ascribes to the "Dumb as dirt, and proud of it" school of non-thought. The are found all over the political spectrum, from the ghetto's of our inner cities to the rural communities across the country.

And in cubes and offices in the great NW

AWW poor wittle marc is all butt hurt yet again.... and he strikes out with his wittle attempt at wetwribution he werned from wittle mikeee:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Bzzzz
wrong again:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Good post.

To become a citizen, one has to demonstrate a certain facility with English. One does not have to be native-fluent in it.

And as far as "most tax-paying American citizens" thinking that people who live here should all speak English well enough to testify in front of Congress, I'd have to disagree with that. Frankly, using one's friends as a sample is not good statistical practice.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Can you see now how incredibly easy it would be to abuse power if it was required?

Nope

But you actually are smart enough to see, aren't you. You just can't concede the point because it would hurt you too much to do so. Why not be honest and admit it?
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

I'm not sure which thread is stupider, this one or the "how free is your state" thread, with most of the players taking potshots at each other.

Trying to find the most creative (or not -- there is some stunning lack of creativity in here [:/]) way to call each other stupid, power abusers, liberal, illiterate -- whatever, isn't exactly edifying. And none of it makes you look or sound either smart or witty.

I sure hope you guys are having fun.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Can you see now how incredibly easy it would be to abuse power if it was required?

Nope

But you actually are smart enough to see, aren't you. You just can't concede the point because it would hurt you too much to do so. Why not be honest and admit it?

There are extreme's and exceptions to almost everything
To use this in the way you like is dishonest at best
Abraham Lincoln

I'm not sure which thread is stupider, this one or the "how free is your state" thread, with most of the players taking potshots at each other.

Trying to find the most creative (or not -- there is some stunning lack of creativity in here [:/]) way to call each other stupid, power abusers, liberal, illiterate -- whatever, isn't exactly edifying. And none of it makes you look or sound either smart or witty.

Wendy P.

Obviously this one is stupider. God you’re stupid.

:P

Wendy P.

And just like the "How free is your state" thread, a really interesting debate has been totally sidetracked by the ususal suspects and their Highly Sophisticated Debate Style
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

All governement funtions SHOULD be in english.

Says who? You?

Just a couple questions. Recently, a woman was removed from jury duty because she could not read, write or understand 'English'.

Was that un-fair or wrong to dismiss her?

How would you feel if, you had to face a jury, knowing one or more jurrors could not read, write or understand 'English'?

Chuck

Says who? You?

Just a couple questions. Recently, a woman was removed from jury duty because she could not read, write or understand 'English'.

How would you feel if, you had to face a jury, knowing one or more jurrors could not read, write or understand 'English'?

Chuck

Oh its pretty bad out there Chuck. I was called for jury duty last month and I sat thru two days of "jury selection". I was appalled at the juror pool. I am sure most of them could read at maybe a 4th grade level. I am also sure that for the most part most of the prospective jurors could ALMOST sound like they spoke English, but I seriously doubt that many of them could understand what was occurring, even if it was being conducted in English.[:/]

I never realized my county had that many morons in it.

Nope

There are extreme's and exceptions to almost everything
To use this in the way you like is dishonest at best

What?
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

Says who? You?

Chuck

Oh its pretty bad out there Chuck. I was called for jury duty last month and I sat thru two days of "jury selection". I was appalled at the juror pool. I am sure most of them could read at maybe a 4th grade level. I am also sure that for the most part most of the prospective jurors could ALMOST sound like they spoke English, but I seriously doubt that many of them could understand what was occurring, even if it was being conducted in English.[:/]

I know what you are saying. I've been called to jury duty and saw one or two like what you mentioned. Bless our all-knowing gubment, cuts are to be made to our education system. Something that has driven me nuts is, what about all the money being made by state lotteries? It's not going to roads or schools like we were promised by Ann Richards. Kids here don't get an education, they get continuous tests, T.A.S.. T.A.K.S. and so-on. It's shameful!

Chuck

Says who? You?

Chuck

You must have felt right at home
Abraham Lincoln

Says who? You?

Chuck

You must have felt right at home

Nope.. not in the least.. but you would have been right at home with doz good ole boys.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I am quite positive that you would not have realized anything was even remotely wrong:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

There is no legal requirement to speak English in the US.

True, but there is a legal requirement to be able to speak English to naturalize as a US citizen.

Compare that with Canada where one must be able to speak either French or English--but not necessarily both--to naturalize as a Canadian citizen.

In this sense, at least, the USA is legally unilingual in a way that other nations like Canada are not.

In an immigration context in the USA (and the article quoted is about immigration), I think it is reasonable to ask why someone isn't speaking English if they profess to want to become a citizen. Rudely interrupting a Spanish speaker, though, does seem uncalled for.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Both of you cut it out...

...oh wait I'm not a moderator.

That there's funny... I don't care who you are! :ph34r::ph34r:

Chuck

I wonder if the rubes who want all the mexicans to learn to speak English and take those citizenship tests to become citizens would support a constitutional amendment to require ALL US citizens to be functionally literate to become a citizen AND prove it by taking the same tests they wish others to take.

I for one am growing tired of the functionally illiterate that skew elections based on popularity contests instead of understanding a candidates record.

Both of you cut it out...

...oh wait I'm not a moderator.

That there's funny... I don't care who you are! :ph34r::ph34r:

Chuck

I wonder if the rubes who want all the mexicans to learn to speak English and take those citizenship tests to become citizens would support a constitutional amendment to require ALL US citizens to be functionally literate to become a citizen AND prove it by taking the same tests they wish others to take.

I for one am growing tired of the functionally illiterate that skew elections based on popularity contests instead of understanding a candidates record.

That would be infringing on their right to be ignorant!:D
Or voting for some bubble-headed candidate because she's 'hot'?
Strange part of all this is, the politicians want that element so they can gain an office or keep a position.

Chuck

Says who? You?

I have no idea what case you might be talking about, so I don't really have enough to go on, however...

It's wrong to equate having the responsibility to judge someone's testimony and a person's right to be able to express themselves.

Vastly different circumstances.

Besides which, I have no idea from the information you've presented whether or not the court or one of the lawyers dismissed the person by process of voidier. Again, two completely different circumstances. If the court dismissed the juror, that may in fact not be the right thing to do. If a lawyer dismissed the potential juror through the process of voidier, that may be entirely appropriate.

I've been dismissed on two separate occasions by lawyers through the voidier process. In neither case was it inappropriate; it was something the lawyers were simply allowed to do in jury selection.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>Recently, a woman was removed from jury duty because she could not read, write or
>understand 'English'.

>Was that un-fair or wrong to dismiss her?

In a case where she had to understand English, then it would make sense.

OTOH, if there was a case that required speaking a certain language to understand the case, dismissing people who could _not_ speak that language would also make sense.

Says who? You?

I have no idea what case you might be talking about, so I don't really have enough to go on, however...

It's wrong to equate having the responsibility to judge someone's testimony and a person's right to be able to express themselves.

Besides which, I have no idea from the information you've presented whether or not the court or one of the lawyers dismissed the person by process of voidier. Again, two completely different circumstances. If the court dismissed the juror, that may in fact not be the right thing to do. If a lawyer dismissed the potential juror through the process of voidier, that may be entirely appropriate.

I've been dismissed on two separate occasions by lawyers through the voidier process. In neither case was it inappropriate; it was something the lawyers were simply allowed to do in jury selection.

The case I'm referring to was here in Texas and the judge dismissed the woman and an alternate was used.
The other was meant totally, as hypothetical.
Wouldn't you want all the jurors to be able to understand everything being said during a trial? I know, I would.

Chuck

Says who? You?

The case I'm referring to was here in Texas and the judge dismissed the woman and an alternate was used.
The other was meant totally, as hypothetical.
Wouldn't you want all the jurors to be able to understand everything being said during a trial? I know, I would.

Chuck

Right, but will you concede on the point the two are not equivalent? That one carries an actual responsibility to a third party whereas the other only carries a potential inelegance in communication?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>Recently, a woman was removed from jury duty because she could not read, write or
>understand 'English'.

>Was that un-fair or wrong to dismiss her?

In a case where she had to understand English, then it would make sense.

OTOH, if there was a case that required speaking a certain language to understand the case, dismissing people who could _not_ speak that language would also make sense.

I'm referring to every day court cases. We are guaranteed a 'fair' trial by a jury of our peers. The common language spoken in our courts, to the best of my knowledge is English. If, a jury member does not understand English, how can they be fair and impartial if, they do not understand what is being said?

Chuck