grimmie

Republican POTUS nominee will be...

So I have been watching the Republican wannabes jockeying for position. Trump, Newt and now Bachmann, Rudy and Mitt. And the side show that is Palin upstages them all.
I wanted to start a thread to see who you guys think will be the presidential and vice presidential nominees. I think it will be interesting to say the least this next year or so.
A guy I know picked Palin as McCain's running mate before anyone really knew her last election season. I was pretty impressed with his Nostradamus like skill.

I know it's SC and the usual suspects will turn this into a big liberal, conservative pissing match, but let's try to keep it simple.

Pick a Republican president and vice preident ticket. Give your reasons why they will win the nomination.

I'll go first.

Jeb Bush-Don't laugh. I ran into former Florida Governor Charlie Crist at the Miami airport about 5 years ago. We chatted for a while and he said Jeb wanted to be president. With the current field stomping on each other, I think Jeb could ride out into the public eye and get a lot of support. (Poor Amazon just had a heart attack thinking about another Bush in office) He can also win Florida, a key to winning the race. And the Tea Party would love him and Sarah Palin could be his cheerleader. The talking heads at FOX would cream themselves.

VP-Sam Brownback-He has international experience as a congressman, tows the party line well and doesn't have the appeal to be president, but would make a good running mate.

That's my guess. I'll buy a few beers if someone picks both slots correctly. B| If a liberal picks correct, they get beer AND pizza!

Next...

So I have been watching the Republican wannabes jockeying for position. Trump, Newt and now Bachmann, Rudy and Mitt. And the side show that is Palin upstages them all.

I notice you didn't mention the R from Texas, Ron Paul.

The guy is a strict Constitutionalist.

Are you unaware of him ?

Peace,
Jim B

Not a rats chance in hell of another Bush being elected from that generation. The next Bush to be elected would have to be a grandchild of GHWB at the very least.

Also, any nominee worth his salt had better be in the race already. This means he's going to have to start showing up to the debates. For instance, the New Hampshire debate is scheduled for June 15.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/06/03/debate.lineup/index.html
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

That goes for you to Quade, pick, or no pizza and beer for you.:P

Oh, I realize what the game IS!

I think it's a pretty tough choice because from my point of view it looks like the GOP wants to win, but the people that would have a chance at winning over Obama aren't the same people that have a chance of winning the GOP nomination.

There's the conundrum.
quade -

Not a rats chance in hell of another Bush being elected from that generation. The next Bush to be elected would have to be a grandchild of GHWB at the very least.

Also, any nominee worth his salt had better be in the race already. This means he's going to have to start showing up to the debates. For instance, the New Hampshire debate is scheduled for June 15.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/06/03/debate.lineup/index.html

There have been debates for months already - you don't have to attend to become a contender. Perot came out of nowhere (three times in two elections). If the only candidates are the ones declared now, the election is over.

Jeb would have a snowball's chance in Maine. 1 in 5. Just look at the way the party piled onto Bush in 1999, desparate to be rid of Clinton, tossing McCain aside like leftover guacamole.

Even with a pathetic McCain-Palin ticket, the GOP still scored 45.7% of the vote, and 173 electoral votes. Obama can no longer campaign on the Bush economy of promises of change when he's maintained so much of established policy (DADT, Guantanamo, Afghanistan, Iraq). Those voters don't care if he got Bin Laden.

The debt showdown has to end before we know if there's a real candidate. Someone may come out of it. Or the GOP may crush our credit rating and again look like the Party of No.

Obama will take a hard turn to the right and actually be able to run on both tickets.

the left blindly worships him and will rationalize anything he says - so that's not a problem.

And if he moves hard fiscally right (against his true nature, but then he can flip flop later) in the campaign, he'll pick up all but the social righty nutbags.

He'll then win about 80% of the populace and all the electoral votes except Minnesota - which will then vote for Walter Mondale in protest (of Walter Mondale).

Once in place, and not having to worry about re-election, he can then proceed to turn the keys over to various international nutbag organizations run by Al Gore - who may or may not find his sanity in the next 2 years.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Rick Perry has been putting his tow in the water as well. As much as I would love to see an Aggie in the White House, I'm not sure there is enough hairspray in the world for it to happen.

Perry/Trump - the perfect hair running pair!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Gingrich/Bachmann. Both are polarizing figures, but the moderates (Romney, Pawlenty) have too much baggage to be viable GOP candidates.

the only thing Gingrich has going for him is that he presided over the last fiscally responsible house, his baggage is to much to win the rep race (remember he was run out on a scandle). Pawlenty/ Bachmann (my picks) is probably the best ticket of the candidates running but I fear it will be Romney / Cain that wins because of Romney's liberal ideas like health care that would be a reason for some on the left to vote for him.

The biggest issue on the presidential election is the black vote, Obama carried (i think) 94% of the black vote in 2008 and would carry possibly 80% this time. Any republican would need to get 30-35% of the black vote or have a poor black voter turn out to win. We already know that many independants will swing republican this time but that won't be enough without some help from the black community.

>will be Romney / Cain that wins because of Romney's liberal ideas like
>health care that would be a reason for some on the left to vote for him.

Well, if that's the case, it seems like the democrats might vote for Obama and the republicans might vote against Romney (or more specifically against Romneycare.) Which would end up being bad for the Republicans.

Too bad Ron Paul is unelectable. He might make a good president. Also a lot of problems with him and his philosophy, but it would be a worthwhile experiment (IMO.)

>Too bad Ron Paul is unelectable. He might make a good president. Also a lot of problems with him and his philosophy, but it would be a worthwhile experiment (IMO.)

that seems to be the problem nowdays, to many people look at things like looks number of signs in the yards and verble skills instead of abilities and policies.

>Too bad Ron Paul is unelectable. He might make a good president. Also a lot of problems with him and his philosophy, but it would be a worthwhile experiment (IMO.)

that seems to be the problem nowdays, to many people look at things like looks number of signs in the yards and verble skills instead of abilities and policies.

Uh huh ...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Call me crazy, but I think strategically its going to end up being Herman Cain/Bachmann.

Personally I just can't let my hopes go on Ron Paul. As discouraged as I am, I can't help but have a shred of hope for my fellow man to see past superficial side of an election. But sadly it seems the majority of folks in this country still think they're voting for they're high school president and pick the most popular guy thats gonna throw a great post-prom party.

I actually really like this Gary Johnson guy as well. Sadly I'm totally with Quade on this one though. There is no way the GOP will give the nomination to any of the few guys that are actually capable of beating Obama.

Jeb Bush??? Not a chance in hell he'd ever get elected, but whether or not the GOP is dumb enough to nominate him... well thats entirely possible.

Too bad Ron Paul is unelectable.

I'd wager that if everyone that said, "I'd vote for him if he could win" actually voted for him, he'd be quite electable -- or at least have a good run at it. Perception is everything, sadly. That being said, I imagine I'll be voting for him in the primaries at least.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Too bad Ron Paul is unelectable.

I'd wager that if everyone that said, "I'd vote for him if he could win" actually voted for him, he'd be quite electable -- or at least have a good run at it. Perception is everything, sadly. That being said, I imagine I'll be voting for him in the primaries at least.

The problem is, there's no way you could ever get "everyone" to say that. He's perceived as a loony because he's proposed a LOT of loony ideas.

While -some- of what he has to say might be interesting, it's offset and shadowed by all the looniness of the things he's said.
quade -

Gingrich/Bachmann. Both are polarizing figures, but the moderates (Romney, Pawlenty) have too much baggage to be viable GOP candidates.

I agree; Gingrich will likely prevail. However, I think it would be a mistake to discount Jon Huntsman.

Michelle Bachman will kill the GOP ticket as surely as Palin did. She's said too much utterly stupid shit to be taken seriously. I think the GOP powers that be know that.

I think the only reason the GOP would nominate Cain is to court the black vote, and I think the black voters they would be trying to court will see right through it. I don't think Cain is electable to President, although I admit I don't know that much about him at this point.

I think Romney will get the nod, although he will be so damaged by all the other GOP pretenders by the time the convention rolls around that Obama will beat him in the general election. I honestly have no idea who will get the VP nod. Pawlenty is posssible, but Cain might be irresistable for VP.

My official guess is Romney/Cain.

- Dan G

Gingrich/Bachmann.

The only person that would pick that ticket would be Obama. Gingrich has stepped on his own dick (or stuck it in the wrong person) so many times there is no way the modern GOP will elect him. Bachman is an idiot who appeals only to the ultra right wing. Swing voters wouldn't touch her with Newt's dick. The GOP saw what happened when they picked a Bachman clone last time, they won't do it again.

Both are polarizing figures, but the moderates (Romney, Pawlenty) have too much baggage to be viable GOP candidates.

Are you joking? I hope so. Compared to Gingrich/Bachman, Romney and Pawlenty are carrying those little vinyl 1960s carry-on tote bags.

- Dan G

>Michelle Bachman will kill the GOP ticket as surely as Palin did. She's said
>too much utterly stupid shit to be taken seriously. I think the GOP powers
>that be know that.

Well, they chose Palin.

>My official guess is Romney/Cain.

I don't think the GOP could survive the about-face on Obamacare. To pull it off they'd have to radically change their perspective on government-mandated healthcare, and that would lose them a _lot_ of their base.

Michelle Bachman will kill the GOP ticket as surely as Palin did. She's said too much utterly stupid shit to be taken seriously. I think the GOP powers that be know that.

I think the only reason the GOP would nominate Cain is to court the black vote, and I think the black voters they would be trying to court will see right through it. I don't think Cain is electable to President, although I admit I don't know that much about him at this point.

I think Romney will get the nod, although he will be so damaged by all the other GOP pretenders by the time the convention rolls around that Obama will beat him in the general election. I honestly have no idea who will get the VP nod. Pawlenty is posssible, but Cain might be irresistable for VP.

My official guess is Romney/Cain.

Yeah, I could see it going that way on all accounts as well. One thing to consider about Cain... I'm not sure who all watched the "first" debate in South Carolina a while back (not sure how many we've had since then thats the only one I watched), it was Pawlenti, Paul, Cain, Johnson, can't remember if anybody else was in it, but anyway, Cain had like 90% of the favor after that debate from polls taken by Fox News. The guy shocked a lot of people. In a interview of the audience after the debate maybe one out of 20 people said they came in with Cain as their pick, but about 9/10 raised their hand that he was now their favorite candidate.

Personally he appeals a little too much to the mainstream right wing for my taste, but evidently theres a broad base of folks out there that are still looking for that in a candidate. That said, I don't think the guy would be a terrible president either. Depending on how things go in the other debates and the dirt they find on the guy I think he's got a real shot. I definitely agree with you that he's likely to be on the VP slot if he doesn't get the nomination.

Well, they chose Palin.

Which is why they won't do it again. Remember, the VP is picked by the candidate, not the primary voters.

I don't think the GOP could survive the about-face on Obamacare. To pull it off they'd have to radically change their perspective on government-mandated healthcare, and that would lose them a _lot_ of their base.

I think they'll frame it as a states' rights issue. Romney will argue (as he's already done) that was was right for Mass. may not be right for Miss. and federal.gov shouldn't have a say in the matter. He's also starting to work in some wiggle room between himself and Romneycare because he knows how tough it will be to get over that hump. I think the GOP base will fall in line. The base will vote for anyone over Obama, and Romney will appeal to the swing voters that the more conservative GOP candidates can't get.

- Dan G