divnswoop

Seat-belt usage?

Alright, I have been watching some military jumping lately and been thinking...What is the policy at your drop zone on seat-belts? It has been over 12 years since the "large" fatalities due to crash landings without seat-belts. There have been a few here and there without being hooked up, but it seems it isn't a big deal to some people.

If you answer either of the last two and wear your seat-belt......Does it bother you that people who are sitting aft of you don't wear them?
Comments?

Seat belts and helmets. Too many people are belted in; but, have their helmet in their lap. [:/] I know the video guys and gals want to get the nice pics of the take off. But, please put it on for take off. The others are just lazy.

What people tend to forget is that an unsecured helmet is just another thing to be flying around inside the plane in an emergency.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Seat belts and helmets. Too many people are belted in; but, have their helmet in their lap.

I agree, but when you see the helmets in their lap, also check to see if they've attached it to their chest strap.

I've seen many people do this, and to me at least its just as safe as wearing it (for the others in the plane anyways)

MB 3528, RB 1182

i must jump at a really strict place seat belts on helmets secured and door closed before takeoff. actually been on the plane at the end of the runway waiting to take off, and had to wait for the maintenance man to fix a stuck seatbelt before we could go. this seemed perfectly ok to me and everyone else onboard dont see why anyone would be against this.
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

All belts on and helmets secured until 1500'

Now, with the slack I have seen in the belts, I am unsure how much protection they will provide, but at least the last person in the plane won't be likely to fly to the front (Otter).

And when we had a smaller plane were weight was a serious concern EVERYONE weighed in with full gear.

Of course this as a DZ that had a twin go off the end of the runway and burn. With belts on, the worst long-term injury was a severed back (I think this is correct), and that individual helps set the safety standards to this day (from his wheel-chair) [:/]. The alternate outcome could have been MUCH worse...

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

At our place, it's pretty much a given that you wear your seatbelt to 1Kft. And then there's the one home-grown asshole and an occasional visitor that has to be "politely" reminded.

And yes, it pisses me off to find out that somebody aft of me isn't buckled in. I am not above having a few words with the perp.

Helmets on? That doesn't bother me so much except for the brain matter that will splash my new jumpsuit. After all, it's your brain that "might" get splashed, not mine (hopefully).
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>Helmets on? That doesn't bother me so much except for the brain
> matter that will splash my new jumpsuit. After all, it's your brain
> that "might" get splashed, not mine (hopefully).

The reason for the "wearing helmets" rule is that in a crash, the helmet becomes a projectile and plows into someone else. It's not to protect the wearer's head.

I was on one take-off when the pilot had to slam on the brakes for some reason... The plane did a 180 and almost turned over, but luckily didn't. If any of the jumpers had not had their seatbelts on or had not had their helmets secured, someone likely would have been injured. People, helmets, everything else... definitely become projectiles when not secured. Unfortunately, I believe this has been demonstrated in other "not so lucky" accidents.

>We dont have seatbelts in the plane we jump so no seatbelts . . .

For the most part we didn't either, until the Perris otter crash that killed 16 in 1992. Now pretty much everyone does. Let's hope you guys don't learn that particular lesson the same way we did.

The FAA has clearly states that seat belts are to be worn during taxiing, take off, and landing. As for when you can take them off after take off is up to DZ, but typically I see the licensed jumpers will take their seat belt off at 1000’ or a little higher, but rarely below 1000’.

About the helmet, I was taught and teach today that all students will have them on and buckled until 2000’s. The licensed skydiver, including camera flyer, has the option to have them on or off. But if not worn during take off I see that most jumpers have them secured to chest strap by using the chin strap or a lanyard so the helmet does not turn into a projectile in the event of an aborted take off gone wrong or a forced landing.

Other counties will have different regulations regarding seat belt use, cloud clearance requirements, to skydive pilot requirements and I except that’s that counties choice.
Memento Mori

I was kinda surprised when visiting a DZ a while back that people were lax about this, everywhere I'd jumped before it was enforced and it was automatic. It bothered the heck out of me :D. It just seemed like eggregious skygod bullshit that made the culprits look like idiots.

I agree with seatbelts in general. But the seatbelts on some of the planes I've been in, especially when you have to sit on the floor and clip something to the MLW - coupled with the door arrangement..... Lets just say I wouldn't want to have to get out in a hurry in the case of an engine or cabin fire on the ground...

The reason for the "wearing helmets" rule is that in a crash, the helmet becomes a projectile and plows into someone else. It's not to protect the wearer's head.

But it could act as a projectile to persons sitting right next to the individual with the helmet on their lap fastened to the chest strap or injure the person themself - Many camera guys fasten to their chest strap - personally I wear mine...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

>But it could act as a projectile to persons sitting right next to the
> individual with the helmet on their lap fastened to the chest strap or
> injure the person themself -

Right, but it will still be restrained. It can swing around, but cannot launch and accelerate as an unrestrained object could (relative to the plane of course.)

We are all belted in when we take off in the 206 in my dz. I do keep my hads on the strap though so I can find the buckle release if the shit goes down.

You must have a bunch of big boned boys in your 206. ;)
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Sure thing... I am going to hop out at 700 and track for the nearest pond!!!

No, I keep my hand on the strap, god forbid, so I can free myself from the burning wreckage once we meet mother earth.

I take the belt off at around 1500 feet.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P