jgoose71

Should the Pirates have been allowed to Surrender?

So here is the situation. The U.S. was trying to negotiate the release of the 4 hostages and then-

Vice Adm. Mark Fox, Commander of the US Navy 5th fleet, told a news conference that negotiations were taking place between the U.S. forces and the pirates Tuesday morning when they suddenly fired a rocket-propelled grenade at the Sterett, which was about 600 yards away. The RPG missed.

Fox said gunfire was heard "almost immediately" afterward and then several pirates appeared on the deck of the yacht with their hands in the air, wanting to surrender.

A boarding party of U.S. special forces was sent across to the Quest but "despite immediate steps to provide life-saving care, all four American hostages died of their wounds," Fox said.

the good news is when they went to take down the boat, 2 pirates resisted. One was shot, the other died in a knife fight.

So is this going to be the new MO for pirates that capture Americans? If the Navy shows up, kill the hostages, then surrender?

Source:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41715530/ns/world_news-africa/
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

The whole problem is the implementation of the catch-and-release policy.
It should be done exactly as a fisherman does it.
A fisherman releases a fish back into the water at the location where he caught it.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

the good news is when they went to take down the boat, 2 pirates resisted. One was shot, the other died in a knife fight

Not really good news.

Should they be allowed to surrender? Sure... Right up to the point that they kill a hostage.

Let them know that there is only one path for them to survive and if they take that path they WILL survive. If we adopt a "kill em all" mentality, then they will kill the hostages. If we allow them the one avenue of survival... They will take that path.

Hijack a boat = Go to jail.
Kill a hostage = Die

Are you really suggesting that the US armed forces should summarily kill people who have thrown down their weapons and surrendered?

Didn't we hang people for war crimes for doing that sort of thing?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Are you really suggesting that the US armed forces should summarily kill people who have thrown down their weapons and surrendered?

Are you suggesting that the pirates who killed the innocent hostages should be hanged? I'm down with that....:)
On the flip side, the news just reported that the pirates will not allow any more scenarios where the hostages are rescued and they are captured. I guess we got our answer to if this is going to be there new MO.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Here is an idea, why don't they round up these murderers and imprison them. Oops they are already doing this and the Leftists were all upset and demanded that the murderers be freed. Heck the Leftist even invented a messiah who would be sent to us to save the world. This messiah promised he would close the facility where all these murderers were imprisoned within the first year of him taking power, and it worked. The lemmings flocked to the lies the messiah told them. Problem is, the messiah is a puppet. The messiah was created as this fictional savior of the world by the people of Hollywood (who are in the business of creating make believe La La worlds). When the real people who run the world told the messiah that there was no way they were letting these murderers go free, the messiah sulked back to his White House and then realized how lucky he was. Here he was, a man with nothing more than experience working as a community organizer who is all of a sudden tasked as this fake savior of the world. Yes nobody gives a better speech to the lemmings when his teleprompter works. But the messiah knows his nose keeps getting bigger and bigger every time his teleprompter is working.

Want to solve the problem with these pirates? Start sinking their ships. Sure it will cause death and destruction. But it is better than the Liberal solution of promising things they damn well know they can not keep.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

There's really no other way for this to have played out.

While the soldiers heard the gunfire (and the rocket), they did not know the status of the hostages until after they had taken control of the ship. So at that point, the pirates have surrendered. Killing them at this point would be summary execution. A bit different than knowing the hostages are dead, and engaging the pirates in an all out fire fight.

Public hanging is a good end result - tell pirates that there are consequences for killing.

The Kidnappers killed the hostages eh? Hmm heard that one before.

Uh, if the bulk of the pirates were able to surrender alive, it does not suggest that the rescuers killed the hostages.

If 100% of the pirates were killed along with a significant number of the hostages, it would suggest that the rescuers were using a Russian playbook.

If reports came back that "we found the yacht, but there was nobody aboard when we got there," it would leave everyone guessing.

Uh, if the bulk of the pirates were able to surrender alive, it does not suggest that the rescuers killed the hostages.

If 100% of the pirates were killed along with a significant number of the hostages, it would suggest that the rescuers were using a Russian playbook.

If reports came back that "we found the yacht, but there was nobody aboard when we got there," it would leave everyone guessing.

That's Skyrad talking out his ass without reading the story or watching the video. The navy knew that with 4 hostages and possibly 19 pirates on board, there was no winnable scenario if they tried to take the ship. The navy said as much.

As I said earlier, a spokesman for the pirates contacted a media dude earlier and stated that there will be no more scenarios where we rescue the hostages and capture the pirates. I think they executed the hostages to make a statement.

I am thinking its time for some Q Boat operations... look harmless react deadly.

I am thinking its time for some Q Boat operations... look harmless react deadly.

I think that would be a good idea, to bad this administration wouldn't do something like that.

It would be fun to see a bunch of pirates come up on a yacht thinking "easy pickens" and then come face-to-face with a couple of M2 .50 cals, a MK-19 40mm belt fed grenade launcher, and a couple of TOW missiles. Blow their boat out of the water and pick up the survivors (if there are any)

I was Yes vote #5.
There were 22 No votes.
Sad commentary on dz.commers.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

From link below.
Pirates in Somalia said Wednesday they are ferrying ammunition and men to the 30 hijacked vessels still under their control, and they threatened to kill more captives following the violent end to a hostage standoff that left four Americans dead.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2014308348_appiracy5thldwritethru.html

Convoys and armed protection vessels is about the only to cut down the highjackings. Going postal andkilling everyone we catch just won't be done in these times.

Convoys and armed protection vessels is about the only to cut down the highjackings. Going postal andkilling everyone we catch just won't be done in these times.

Killing all on sight will quickly become effective, esp if they do the same. These guys are funded by "investors" who split the take. If the take goes away, so do the investors.

Seriously, this arresting them and taking them to stand trial in the U.S. is bullshit. I don't know if modern warships even have a yardarm anymore, but they must have some kind of crane devices. some TELEVISED hangings at sea, with a complimentary copy streamed on the web straight to al Jazeera, might have a deterent effect. Piracy on the high seas should be punished with swift and sure hanging, followed by throwing the bodies overboard with a bucket of chum.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Here is an idea, why don't they round up these murderers and imprison them. Oops they are already doing this and the Leftists were all upset and demanded that the murderers be freed. Heck the Leftist even invented a messiah who would be sent to us to save the world. This messiah promised he would close the facility where all these murderers were imprisoned within the first year of him taking power, and it worked. The lemmings flocked to the lies the messiah told them. Problem is, the messiah is a puppet. The messiah was created as this fictional savior of the world by the people of Hollywood (who are in the business of creating make believe La La worlds). When the real people who run the world told the messiah that there was no way they were letting these murderers go free, the messiah sulked back to his White House and then realized how lucky he was. Here he was, a man with nothing more than experience working as a community organizer who is all of a sudden tasked as this fake savior of the world. Yes nobody gives a better speech to the lemmings when his teleprompter works. But the messiah knows his nose keeps getting bigger and bigger every time his teleprompter is working.

Want to solve the problem with these pirates? Start sinking their ships. Sure it will cause death and destruction. But it is better than the Liberal solution of promising things they damn well know they can not keep.

Nice rant.

I'm emotionally for hanging pirates from the yardarm after trial (in reality, life in a third world prison would be better). I do not favor summarily executing people who have thrown down their arms and surrendered. That is a VERY bad precedent for the US to set.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I like this idea!>:(
I had thought of that, but had no idea there was a name for it, and it had already been done.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm emotionally for hanging pirates from the yardarm after trial (in reality, life in a third world prison would be better). I do not favor summarily executing people who have thrown down their arms and surrendered. That is a VERY bad precedent for the US to set.

Agreed.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I was Yes vote #5.
There were 22 No votes.
Sad commentary on dz.commers.

What is sad is that this has been allowed to go on. Pirates now hold about 30 ships and some 660 hostages that they torture and terrorize to get more money out of. Ransoms have gone up to between $5 to $10 million and no one is doing anything about it.

There are all kinds of kidnappings that happen around the world in various countries, but to me this is different. This is a very important shipping lane in international waters. The U.S. and other countries have a duty to protect it. There are several countries that have a stake in this. This is not one country with it's problems contained within it's borders. So yea, there should be a little outrage. Just my opinion.

Seriously, this arresting them and taking them to stand trial in the U.S. is bullshit. I don't know if modern warships even have a yardarm anymore, but they must have some kind of crane devices. some TELEVISED hangings at sea, with a complimentary copy streamed on the web straight to al Jazeera, might have a deterent effect. Piracy on the high seas should be punished with swift and sure hanging, followed by throwing the bodies overboard with a bucket of chum.

The pirates may believe that televised executions of the hostages are also a strong message/deterrent. It will then be a game of chicken. Who do you think will flinch first?