beowulf

Why are you an Atheist?

>>The Asshole Athiest that try to get crosses taken down..PISS me off...they are cymbles of Love, They hurt no one....

Huh? The cymble[sic] of the cross means love? The central idea is that man is a piece of shit, only this very narrow interpretation of god can save you, and if you don't believe in this message you will burn in a lake of fire and that means love to you? Oh and fuck all the people that were born into a different religion, they are all going to hell? Ya, thats love:S>:(

yes..Love, a reminder of what fear and hate can do!

Like any cymbal , you can read into it anything you like....Myself, (an athiest) take it as a sign of caring about people.....and have no problem with it!

Yes my spelling and grammar may suck, have fun with it...just proves you(universal you) a fool!

Like any cymbal

Cymbal.

Symbol.

(And not relevant to the present, but it's sort of amusing that an object originally designed as a means of executing people in a rather nasty way is now an 'object of love that hurts no-one'.)

((And I also wonder if you're willing to extend the same magnanimity to this symbol?;)))
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

There needs to be a new word beyond Atheist and/or agnostic.

I don't believe in any of that crap, period.

Or elephants in my trunk

Naturalist.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Until you can understand the size of of the religious majority you are part of, you really wont be able to appreciate the irony of that statement.

Ain't nothin' like a Christian who thinks he's being oppressed!

This statement right here is where you loose all credibility. Anyone can have there there rights stepped on and anyone can be oppressed.

Just because you are part of a minority you think you have the right to go shit on everyone else? I got news for you, you don't.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Until you can understand the size of of the religious majority you are part of, you really wont be able to appreciate the irony of that statement.

This statement right here is where you loose all credibility. Anyone can have there there rights stepped on and anyone can be oppressed.

Just because you are part of a minority you think you have the right to go shit on everyone else? I got news for you, you don't.

Ooooh, tetchy, tetchy! You might want to simmer down and check on how much of your reply is actually a logical progression from my post. I got news for you - it ain't much.

Recall - your statement wasn't about rights, it was about people 'trying to convert you'. Until you can understand the overwhelming scale of the conversion pressure that comes from the established religious side of things vs the non-religious, you just won't understand how petulant you sound complaining about atheists who wont leave you alone.

Second, christians aren't getting their rights stamped on - they really aren't (cries from Christians to try and get other religions rights stamped on were certainly much more prevalent this year), yet the good old battle cry of christian paranoia sounds as loudly as ever. Seriously, you guys control everything. You're in the majority in every damned legislative and judicial branch in the country (unless you don't count the Mormons). If you were being discriminated against, it'd be by yourselves.

Ooooh, tetchy, tetchy! You might want to simmer down and check on how much of your reply is actually a logical progression from my post. I got news for you - it ain't much.

Recall - your statement wasn't about rights, it was about people 'trying to convert you'. Until you can understand the overwhelming scale of the conversion pressure that comes from the established religious side of things vs the non-religious, you just won't understand how petulant you sound complaining about atheists who wont leave you alone.

Second, christians aren't getting their rights stamped on - they really aren't (cries from Christians to try and get other religions rights stamped on were certainly much more prevalent this year), yet the good old battle cry of christian paranoia sounds as loudly as ever. Seriously, you guys control everything. You're in the majority in every damned legislative and judicial branch in the country (unless you don't count the Mormons). If you were being discriminated against, it'd be by yourselves.

So why are symbols of religion being torn down from all over the place then? When I tell someone "Merry Christmas" and they reply "Happy Hanukkah" to me it ain't nothin but a thing. It's what the season is all about.

Atheists, it seems, want the words stripped out of the English language all together. They talk down to me because I believe in God. "How stupid are you for believing in an all seeing guy in the sky..."

Your rights end where my rights begin. I believe in God, get over it. The separation of church and state happened over 200 years ago. theology isn't enforced as law, and if people turn to the bible as a guide to how to treat other people, why should you have a problem with it if it as long as conforms to the American Ideals?

I had to bold that because there are certain religious ideas that don't conform to American ideals, like sharia lawB|
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Atheists, it seems, want the words stripped out of the English language all together. They talk down to me because I believe in God. "How stupid are you for believing in an all seeing guy in the sky..."

Your rights end where my rights begin. I believe in God, get over it. The separation of church and state happened over 200 years ago. theology isn't enforced as law, and if people turn to the bible as a guide to how to treat other people, why should you have a problem with it if it as long as conforms to the American Ideals?

:D:D:D

Nice to see your tolerant ideals shining through there - way to go not lumping everyone in a group together:D

I had to bold that because there are certain religious ideas that don't conform to American ideals, like sharia law

No, the enforcement of Sharia law doesn't conform to American law.

If people voluntarily choose to live by the tenets of Sharia, that is in accordance with American ideals.

So why are symbols of religion being torn down from all over the place then?

LOL, yeah, they're being torn down from "all over the place". Comedy.

The only place religious symbols are being removed from are places where they shouldn't have been put in the first place. No one has an issue with religious symbols on private property. It's when you put your religious symbols in places that are funded by my atheist tax dollars that we have a problem. Schools, courthouses, federally insured and backed banks, etc.. Go ahead and build a shrine to on your own property with your own money. Try to do it on public property using the publics money, and you're going to have a fight on your hands.

I'm grateful that I'm NOT an athiest. Though there was a time in my youth....

Say it!

Say it!

"I am not a witch!"
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

So why are symbols of religion being torn down from all over the place then?

LOL, yeah, they're being torn down from "all over the place". Comedy.

The only place religious symbols are being removed from are places where they shouldn't have been put in the first place. No one has an issue with religious symbols on private property. It's when you put your religious symbols in places that are funded by my atheist tax dollars that we have a problem. Schools, courthouses, federally insured and backed banks, etc.. Go ahead and build a shrine to on your own property with your own money. Try to do it on public property using the publics money, and you're going to have a fight on your hands.

Really??

Did I miss a meeting???

You think you talk for all Athiest??

If you ask me, you are not an athiest, your one of those "activist" that like using the name..IMO

If you ask me, you are not an athiest, your one of those "activist" that like using the name..IMO

Hang on, hang on - you accuse him of trying to speak for all atheists and in the same breath say that he isn't really an atheist because he doesn't think the same way as you?

You didn't really think that through, did you?

Why should government money be used to support religion? Or more particularly, any one religion?

Government needs to remain neutral here, or more correctly, needs to become neutral again.

Prime example:
http://www.slate.com/id/2067499/
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Issue 1: If you are are so live and let live, why do you feel the need to convert everyone over to your belief system. It's starting now with billboards and Atheist campaigns, how long until you go to war? I suspect soon now there will be an atheist "war to get rid of god and bring peace."

Wow. This statement is so full of IRONY, I can't even believe it. I don't particulary recal atheist groups going door to door trying to convert people, but I can name a few religious groups off the top of my head that will do this. I've seen SO MANY MORE religious billboards and big tall crosses in the middle of nowhere than I ever have atheistic sentiments.

Issue 2: Just because a few crackpots use religion as an excuse to commit unspeakable acts doesn't mean it's religions fault. Religion is carried out by man and there for succumbs to mans short falls. There are atheists out there that believe that since there is nothing after this so they are going to do what they want right now.

A few crackpots?? How about thousands and thousands and thousands spanning countless countries, transcending centuries of time?? As an agnostic and leaning more towards atheism, I am more accepting and tolerant of people who don't look like me, talk like me, or act like me than most religious people I know.

I once had a conversation with my best friends husband; He, a devout baptist, proceeded to tell me that through teachings in his church and religous social group he learned and now believes that homosexuality is a sin that cannot be forgiven. Gay people are disgusting, they are vile, they don't deserve to have the same rights to marry as heterosexuals. Wow was all I could say. Now thats what I call religious tolerance :S:S For the record, I'm not gay, but strongly believe that a human is a human is a human, and everybody deserves the same basic human rights.

Many christians get so offended when people don't express belief in a God, but most atheists I know couldn't care less about what other people believe. :S
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Many christians get so offended when people don't express belief in a God, but most atheists I know couldn't care less about what other people believe. :S

Really!? So Why did the OP feel the need to tell everyone about his non-belief? Why is it when I post I don't care about your non-belief all of the atheists here seem to get defensive about it?

So you're saying there is no point to believe or follow something if you can't prove it? :o

Not at all, atheism is a fascinating logical flow of thought that has an objective to justify the hedonistic self deified soul. Its premise is based on faith and totally lacks any scientific validation.

[Gnomes. Elfs. Unicorns. Pixies. Nymphs. Driads. Wizards. Witches. Every other imaginary being that has ever been used to explain a part of the world that people didn't understand.

It is not the world that needs understanding, it is the struggle between good and evil that resides in all of us.

Really!? So Why did the OP feel the need to tell everyone about his non-belief?

Apparently you didn't read his original post correctly. He merely stated that he respected the thoughts of Ricky Gervais, he wasn't shoving atheism down our throats. Nobody forced you to open up the thread and read it. You could've just passed over it if you didn't agree with it.

Why is it when I post I don't care about your non-belief all of the atheists here seem to get defensive about it?

I don't care that you don't care about what I do or don't believe in. I'm not the one offended. I'm merely pointing out problems with your argument. You seem to be the one offended that Gervais has a plausable explanation for the lack of evidence that there ever was, or is, a God.
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

So you're saying there is no point to believe or follow something if you can't prove it? :o

Not at all, atheism is a fascinating logical flow of thought that has an objective to justify the hedonistic self deified soul. Its premise is based on faith and totally lacks any scientific validation.

No. Its premise is based on lack of faith and totally lacks any uses scientific validation.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Not at all, atheism is a fascinating logical flow of thought that has an objective to justify the hedonistic self deified soul.

This is entirely your opinion. The definition of atheism is the disbelief in ANY deity.

Its premise is based on faith and totally lacks any scientific validation.

This couldn't be more opposite to what atheism is about.

That's completely full of shit. See Bolas, Beowulf and TiaSafeMode, above.

Really!? So Why did the OP feel the need to tell everyone about his non-belief? Why is it when I post I don't care about your non-belief all of the atheists here seem to get defensive about it?

If you don't care about our non-belief, why are you complaining about the OP talking about it?

If you're "not going to try and lump all the atheists together", why are you talking about "all of the atheists"?

You might want to reconsider the boundaries of your so-called tolerance.

Not at all, atheism is a fascinating logical flow of thought that has an objective to justify the hedonistic self deified soul.

And, once again, the prison demographics really support that argument, don't they? All those atheists breaking the law, doing whatever they want...

yes I am an atheist, I am native american and believe in the great grandfather, the 4 protectors, and moter nature. I have been told many times I am going to burn in hell due to the fact I do no give my life to Jesus Christ and God. I am okay with peoples opinions. My life is good and I know my protectors are around me and I will go to the Big Tepee in the Sky. And if I go against my council's ways sooo bad, then I will meet Azulu.
" Mean people SUCK!"

Hang on, hang on - you accuse him of trying to speak for all atheists and in the same breath say that he isn't really an atheist because he doesn't think the same way as you?

You didn't really think that through, did you?

i was hopin no one would catch that...(brain wasn;t clickin):P