beowulf

Why are you an Atheist?

As for "Government money" being used, BULLSHIT...It is "Tax Payers Money" , if the Majority of those Tax payers are Christian, and want to spend a few dimes on crosses, I see no problem! So just like the way we ended up with Obuma , the Majority voted...

Unfortunately, the will of the majority shouldn't trump the rights of the minorities. (Think Prop 8).

While I'm not in favor of tearing down existing monuments/exhibits/memorials, I don't like the idea of using my taxes to show preference of one belief system over another.

I don't mind so much privately funded things on public property, thngs such as creche or menorah (sp?) or similar, as long as no preference is shown for one over another (to include atheism).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

As for "Government money" being used, BULLSHIT...It is "Tax Payers Money" , if the Majority of those Tax payers are Christian, and want to spend a few dimes on crosses, I see no problem! So just like the way we ended up with Obuma , the Majority voted...

Unfortunately, the will of the majority shouldn't trump the rights of the minorities. (Think Prop 8).

While I'm not in favor of tearing down existing monuments/exhibits/memorials, I don't like the idea of using my taxes to show preference of one belief system over another.

I don't mind so much privately funded things on public property, thngs such as creche or menorah (sp?) or similar, as long as no preference is shown for one over another (to include atheism).

We have a symbol? God damn it, I missed another meeting...Jesus Christ, why does this keep happening?

And, once again, the prison demographics really support that argument, don't they? All those atheists breaking the law, doing whatever they want...

Who is saying any one broke the law? Value systems of the spiritually aware are obviously not going to be the same for those who aren't.

...I don't mind so much privately funded things on public property, thngs such as creche or menorah (sp?) or similar, as long as no preference is shown for one over another (to include atheism).

We have a symbol? God damn it, I missed another meeting...Jesus Christ, why does this keep happening?

Here in Wisconsin, the state used to allow private groups to set up displays in the Capitol Building rotunda.

I say used to because a few years ago an anti-religion group wanted to put up a banner reading something to the effect of "Church and State - Keep them seperate" (I don't remember the name of the group or the exact wording).

While the powers in charge were fine with Christian, Jewish, Muslim, whatever religion Kwanza falls under, even the Wiccans; they wouldn't allow the antis to place their banner. They used some lame-ass excuse about how it would make the place look like a "Hockey Rink". So it went to court.

And IIRC, there are no more holiday displays in the Capitol rotunda anymore.

And this is all from memory, so if someone wishes to do the research and tell me I got this fact or that fact wrong, go right ahead, I welcome any correction.;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

And, once again, the prison demographics really support that argument, don't they? All those atheists breaking the law, doing whatever they want...

Who is saying any one broke the law? Value systems of the spiritually aware are obviously not going to be the same for those who aren't.

It's a logical extension of your argument, unless you contend that most jailable offenses actually aren't immoral.

Assuming that atheists and the religious are equally aware of the possible temporal consequences of their actions, the hedonistic atheists you speak should surely be committing crimes at a much greater rate than the religious, but that simply isn't born out by any set of stats you can lay your hands on. Of course, it might be that atheists are just better at getting away with it, on average, we are supposed to be smarter;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

It's a logical extension of your argument, unless you contend that most jailable offenses actually aren't immoral.

Assuming that atheists and the religious are equally aware of the possible temporal consequences of their actions, the hedonistic atheists you speak should surely be committing crimes at a much greater rate than the religious, but that simply isn't born out by any set of stats you can lay your hands on. Of course, it might be that atheists are just better at getting away with it, on average, we are supposed to be smarter;)

Most atheists I meet are indeed very intelligent, which appears to be the particular cross that they have to bear. There is a morality that is not defined or enforced by the penal system. As Jesus said, it is not of this world.

How about this...

The country was founded on Christian principles.
All agnostics, atheists and adherents to other religions are trying to push THEIR beliefs off onto Christians by whining about, "you're represented and we're not....waaaaaaah."

Whaddayathink?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

How about this...

All agnostics, atheists and adherents to other religions are trying to push THEIR beliefs off onto Christians by whining about, "you're represented and we're not....waaaaaaah."

Whaddayathink?

My understanding is that many of the founding fathers were Deist (believed in God, but not a particular religion), not necessarily Christian.

And the 1st Amendment to the Bill of Rights makes it pretty clear that they didn't want the state to show preference to any religion over another.

And (most importantly) they made it very clear, both in outside writings and in the composition of the government (particulalky the Senate) that they were very concerned about the majority trampling the rights of the minority.

Most atheists I meet are indeed very intelligent, which appears to be the particular cross that they have to bear.

Believing that intelligence is something bad is but one of the many crosses that you folk have to bear.

There is a morality that is not defined or enforced by the penal system. As Jesus said, it is not of this world.

A morality that does not in any way or in any part overlap with the morality enforced by the penal system? How can you stand to live in a country that has the exact opposite morality to yours enshrined in law?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

How about this...

Whaddayathink?

no it wasn't
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

Believing that intelligence is something bad is but one of the many crosses that you folk have to bear.

Intelligence is not bad. Intelligence uncovers the ways of God through science. But when that knowledge is trumped up and used as the basis for dismissing God, it becomes a major impediment. Spiritual growth is squelched by such pride.

Intelligence is not bad. Intelligence uncovers the ways of God through science. But when that knowledge is trumped up and used as the basis for dismissing God, it becomes a major impediment. Spiritual growth is squelched by such pride.

Gibberish.

It's this kind of blind devotion to a mythology that is sad.

No sadness required. Fulfillment of the relationship God created us for is a reason for great joy. Spiritual awareness is as dynamic as physical awareness.

There is no evidence of any of this, so it is sad.

There is no evidence for the mortally prideful, because such pride squelches spiritual awareness...so sad.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

uhh ok ya got me there! I have no idea what you are trying to say. Your post makes no sense at all...to me

Then I might as well just start quoting scripture again since it to renders the same null effect upon those who lack spiritual discernment...but at least it will edify those who believe.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...