beowulf

Why are you an Atheist?

Then I might as well just start quoting scripture again since it to renders the same null effect upon those who lack spiritual discernment...

Good luck with that. I have read the bible.

Do you see the harmony of our posts?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

There is nothing supernatural, only things that we don't understand yet.
History is replete with examples of things not understood being attributed to the supernatural, only to be seen as myth when our knowledge increases.
The belief in god will likewise eventually be regarded as myth, just like all the countless other myths that have been part of our human past.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

I think it's funny when people speak with so much certainty about something they can't possibly know any more about than the next equally intelligent person.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Believing that intelligence is something bad is but one of the many crosses that you folk have to bear.

Intelligence is not bad. Intelligence uncovers the ways of God through science. But when that knowledge is trumped up and used as the basis for dismissing God, it becomes a major impediment. Spiritual growth is squelched by such pride.

Believing that knowledge can ever be an impediment - nice to see the mindset behind the incarceration of Gallileo is alive and well.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Believing that knowledge can ever be an impediment - nice to see the mindset behind the incarceration of Gallileo is alive and well.

Nope, pride is the impediment. And last I checked, pride was not against the law. So other than stunted spiritual development you won't have to worry about doing any hard time.

Spirtuality is imagined. Just like the supernatural.

This may or may not be true, we have no proof either way. All we have to go by is our personal experiences. Personally, I believe that spirituality is an evolutionary tool created by our own minds to make life more live-able. Can't be certain though.

Nope, pride is the impediment.

Right, ok, so intelligence is our cross to bear even though intelligence isn't bad it's the knowledge that comes from intelligence that makes it a problem even though the knowledge isn't the problem either it's actually pride [breathe]. Right.

Would you care to reconsider your original point?

Right, ok, so intelligence is our cross to bear even though intelligence isn't bad it's the knowledge that comes from intelligence that makes it a problem even though the knowledge isn't the problem either it's actually pride [breathe]. Right.

Actually I agree with his original point. ;)

(paraphrased)
there is no point to believe or follow something if you can't prove it

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4022145#4022145
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Spirtuality is imagined. Just like the supernatural.

This may or may not be true, we have no proof either way. All we have to go by is our personal experiences. Personally, I believe that spirituality is an evolutionary tool created by our own minds to make life more live-able. Can't be certain though.

And unicorns may or may not exist, we have no proof either way.

You could substitute unicorns for anything you can imagine and it would be just as true. Spirtualism has no
supporting evidence. So there is no reason to believe. Just like unicorns.

You could substitute unicorns for anything you can imagine and it would be just as true. Spirtualism has no supporting evidence. So there is no reason to believe. Just like unicorns.

You might have a point if every civilization of the world in the history of man believed in unicorns as if it were basict instict.

Actually I agree with his original point. ;)

(paraphrased)
there is no point to believe or follow something if you can't prove it

No, the original point in that particular line of discussion. "Most atheists I meet are indeed very intelligent, which appears to be the particular cross that they have to bear."

You could substitute unicorns for anything you can imagine and it would be just as true. Spirtualism has no supporting evidence. So there is no reason to believe. Just like unicorns.

You might have a point if every civilization of the world in the history of man believed in unicorns as if it were basict instict.

Every civilisation in the world that I know anything about believed in some kinds of imaginary animal. The invention of non-existent fauna certainly seems pretty universal.

Every civilisation in the world that I know anything about believed in some kinds of imaginary animal. The invention of non-existent fauna certainly seems pretty universal.

I create things for a living (Art)...I don't necessarily believe in my creations as if my life depended on it.

Most atheists I meet are indeed very intelligent, which appears to be the particular cross that they have to bear.

Eating of the tree of knowledge is a sin.

Atheists will live in Hell for that!
The Christians.., not so much.

Blue Skies,
DJ

Actually every civilization that I know of has their imaginary beings. Whether they are gods or just animals like unicorns or dragons they all served a purpose and that was to explain the unexplainable. The Christian god is just another imaginary being used to answer the questions we don't have answers to. Science can not explain everything and will probably never explain everything and it never claims to explain everything. It's better to say I don't know then to just claim "God did it". It's better to study and work towards understanding the world around us.

Actually every civilization that I know of has their imaginary beings. Whether they are gods or just animals like unicorns or dragons they all served a purpose and that was to explain the unexplainable. The Christian god is just another imaginary being used to answer the questions we don't have answers to. Science can not explain everything and will probably never explain everything and it never claims to explain everything. It's better to say I don't know then to just claim "God did it". It's better to study and work towards understanding the world around us.

Well put.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

animals like unicorns or dragons they all served a purpose and that was to explain the unexplainable.

Then humor me...plase expalin to me the unexplainable explanation of what unicorns and dragons could've possibly explained that was unexplainable?

The Christian god is just another imaginary being used to answer the questions we don't have answers to.

Like what?

Science can not explain everything and will probably never explain everything and it never claims to explain everything.

But it explains much about the universe and how it works...this knowledge has no bearing on my spirituality.

It's better to say I don't know then to just claim "God did it".

The truth is that God did it, but I don't know how...neither do you.

It's better to study and work towards understanding the world around us.

It's not better...that's just the way it is...we gotta study.

It's your belief, it is not truth.

Then what is truth?

what mommy says?

what your girlfriend says?

what scientist say?

...come on man...truth is in our heart.

but I bet you you reject that everyday of your life...and I'm almost postive it's because of pride.

Just read the scriptures...read about Jesus and tell me his character isn't how we are to live as human beings.