lawrocket

Don't Ask Don't Tell

Why is it stupid to accept people for who they are?
Why do some have to conform to what others think is "right"?

Because they have to share an intimate barracks and showers with 80 other guys?
Would you be comfortable showering in the presence of self-announced homosexuals?
Give 'em separate living quarters, and I'll bet the hetero's then wouldn't care.

+1

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

>Naturally, the military will go overboard with protections and
>affirmative action, just like they have with all the other minorities.

Good point. Ever since they've allowed women, minorities, muslims and atheists to serve, the entire US military has collapsed.

Sarcasm does not become you. I did not say that. I said that the military goes overboard with PC wackiness, to the point where people are nervous about speaking to each other, lest a PC shitstorm get started.

And while we're on the topic, MAJ Hassan wouldn't have gotten an opportunity to gun down all those people, but PC bullshit stayed the Army's hand to the point where his management was more afraid of being pilloried than they were of him being a hazard. Those people died for PC, and for nothing else. I expect more of the same (PC nuttiness) on behalf of the queer folk shortly (like the 10% quota at the academies).

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

A marine I dated in college, when DADT was pretty new and we were discussing it over beer with my friends, had this to say about gays in the military: "I don't care if he's gay as long as he shoots straight."

Everyone in the military I've personally talked to has expressed similar views, but the news seems to say otherwise, so I am curious to hear from the other side.

:D

There is a very distinct pattern in all these threads:- The same people who post all the anti-muslim bigotry, are also the most vehement homophobes, and they spend a lot of time vilifying their black President.

Meeting a black, gay muslim from Mexico must be their worst nightmare. B|

There is a very distinct pattern in all these threads:- The same people who post all the anti-muslim bigotry, are also the most vehement homophobes, and they spend a lot of time vilifying their black President.

just because you disagree with the points, doesn't make them wrong.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

When I was in (a LONG time ago), they were there, just like in civilian life.
No big deal really.
Some were flamboyant, some kept it quiet...again, just like in civilian life.

A marine I dated in college, when DADT was pretty new and we were discussing it over beer with my friends, had this to say about gays in the military: "I don't care if he's gay as long as he shoots straight."

Everyone in the military I've personally talked to has expressed similar views, but the news seems to say otherwise, so I am curious to hear from the other side.

So it's really more like:

Don't bother asking
Don't bother telling
Don't shout it to make some 'statement'
Don't punish someone that's not making a fuss about it.
Certainly don't make a rule about it.

Because no one really cares one way or the other

I find it a non-issue because I don't much care about your private life - as long as you can shoot straight.

Delete the rule, and if someone is making a fuss and is disruptive to the unit due to their private life - dismiss them for that reason. Then it can apply to everyone.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Delete the rule, and if someone is making a fuss and is disruptive to the unit due to their private life - dismiss them for that reason. Then it can apply to everyone.

Yeah, but some guys like hearing about how their bud unbuttoned her blouse, fondled her breasts, then slooooooowly ran his hands down her smooth body, past her thin waist, and his fingers reached down into the top of her

oh wait
this is a family forum :o
:P

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

> i see no reason to publicise sexuality.

Would you be in favor of a dishonorable discharge of a male soldier who is found kissing a woman?

>i served for 17 years without any fellow servicemember advertising their sexuality .

So you served for 17 years and never once talked about women? Interesting. When I worked at McClellan you couldn't go 17 minutes without someone going on about a girlfriend or some hot chick they met. You must have served in a different environment.

>I said that the military goes overboard with PC wackiness . . .

Yes, sometimes they do. And to explain my point without rhetorical devices, that's been an issue since 1940. Yet they did just fine when blacks, muslims, atheists and women started serving.

>And while we're on the topic, MAJ Hassan wouldn't have gotten an
>opportunity to gun down all those people, but PC bullshit stayed the Army's
>hand . . . .

Right - he was a Muslim. Timothy McVeigh was a Christian - and it would be just as accurate to say that racism stayed the military's hand when they discovered he was into "white power," and just gently reprimanded him when he started wearing white power T-shirts. All those people in Oklahoma died because of military racism, and nothing else.

Sorry, rhetorical device again; that statement was just as absurd as yours. In reality, all those people died because Hassan and McVeigh were murderers, and any attempt to move blame away from them is absurd.

disclosure and honesty are not synonamous , i see no reason to publicise sexuality . i served for 17 years without any fellow servicemember advertising their sexuality . i had some suspicions , but some things are best left to mysteries . until someone can show me the advantages of advertising their sexuality , just keep it to yourself . otherwise i suspect another agenda !

A lot of people keep pictures of their family or significant others on their desk, or receive letters or make phone calls home. It would probably be an advantage not to have to keep the identity of these people a secret.

I find it a non-issue because I don't much care about your private life - as long as you can shoot straight.

+1
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I wonder how many of them go to the saturday afternoon get together BBQ's followed soon after dark with the solemnity of a good cross lighting:S

We'll see the end of Western Civilization soon enough - this only greases the skids.

I don't know enough about your sense of humour to tell whether you're joking.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Yes, but now, you can expect to see them really flout it, and when they do, it'll be conveniently overlooked.

Naturally, the military will go overboard with protections and affirmative action, just like they have with all the other minorities.

There are some of the homosexual crowd who've said that as soon as DADT is rescinded, they will immediately demand a 10% "queer-quota" at the military academies.

Don't think for a minute that all the ridiculous demands are now over - they've only just begun.

Oh.

I see.

Like I said, Western Civilization will fall, and when it does, people will look to stupidity like this as the root cause,

And those people will be morons.

Being good at your job is not always enough. Back when I was in the Marines, if you got fat, and wouldn't get back into shape to pass the physical standards, then you were booted out. It didn't matter how darned good you were at fixing a fighter jet or shooting a rifle. You also had to be able to run and fight, or you could hold the unit back.

Your sentences contradict each other.

Draw whatever parallels you want, or not, between this physical fitness example and homosexuality. I'm not going there.

You're not? Then why did you just post? Are you in the habit of interjecting completely irrelevant comments into threads?

My only point is that being good at your job is not a trump card that forgives all else.

Homosexuality needs to be forgiven?

Yeah, but some guys like hearing about how their bud unbuttoned her blouse, fondled her breasts, then slooooooowly ran his hands down her smooth body, past her thin waist, and his fingers reached down into the top of her

PM sent :ph34r:

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

PM sent :ph34r:

I think she needs to continue with this in the public forum.

> i see no reason to publicise sexuality.
Would you be in favor of a dishonorable discharge of a male soldier who is found kissing a woman?
>i served for 17 years without any fellow servicemember advertising their sexuality .
So you served for 17 years and never once talked about women? Interesting. When I worked at McClellan you couldn't go 17 minutes without someone going on about a girlfriend or some hot chick they met. You must have served in a different environment.

affection in uniform especially kissing was highly frowned upon in the units i served in. not punishable per se , but definitely actionable. as to your second dissembling i addressed that the first time this post was assailed. i notice you didn't say served !

>affection in uniform especially kissing . . .

I didn't say anything about kissing. You were talking about people "advertising their sexuality." And there was a lot of that - airmen talking about the hot chick they met over the weekend, what they did, how hot the new secretary was, how hot the latest chick in the movies was, what they'd like to do to her.

I'd be amazed if people you served with never talked about such things - but I guess it's certainly possible.

>i notice you didn't say served !

No, I worked there as a contractor.

>affection in uniform especially kissing . . .
I didn't say anything about kissing. You were talking about people "advertising their sexuality." And there was a lot of that - airmen talking about the hot chick they met over the weekend, what they did, how hot the new secretary was, how hot the latest chick in the movies was, what they'd like to do to her.
I'd be amazed if people you served with never talked about such things - but I guess it's certainly possible.
>i notice you didn't say served !
No, I worked there as a contractor.

i QUOTED your post , you SAID kissing . 2nd dissembling , i ADDRESSED that , now for the 3RD TIME !