Calvin19

wait... "god" is supposed to be capitalized?

Not really. You say there are leprechauns living under the floorboards, I say there aren't. We've looked under the floorboards every day and we've not seen a single leprechaun yet. Theorietically you may say that doesn't prove that the leprechauns are never there, but practically speaking it's fairly conclusive.

Have to agree, I don't have much use for leprechauns. But to make your analogy applicable to our discussion, if I kept finding pots of gold at the ends of rainbows and under the floorboards I might have to reexamine my beliefs.

But you're not finding pots of gold.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>But to make your analogy applicable to our discussion, if I kept finding pots
>of gold at the ends of rainbows and under the floorboards I might have to
>reexamine my beliefs.

Exactly.

But you also have to do the opposite. If you really, fervently believe in leprechauns, and that belief has changed your life, and it helps you overcome adversity etc etc. then that's great. But if you never find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, you might have to at some time ask yourself if they really exist - or whether, to you, the BELIEF is more important than the actual existence of merry green gold-hiding elves.

And if it is, great. Maintain your beliefs if they make it easier to live your life. But also recognize that your successes are due to your beliefs and not to the actual existence of those little Irish critters.

If God is sending you pots of gold then you won't mind sending me a couple of them.

As long as they don't arrive, I'll assume you're not quite telling the truth about the situation.

You surprise me Quade, in this analogy pots of gold represents that which is more valuable than money, spiritual wisdom. And yes, it would be my privilege to share with you all I have, if you are willing to receive it.

How about for starters: John 3:16 "God so loved the world that He gave His only Son so that who ever should believe in Him would not perish but have eternal life"

. . . in this analogy pots of gold represents that which is more valuable than money, spiritual wisdom.

So, you think you've been given wisdom from God?

I see. Did he also give away any modesty?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yahweh is a name from mythology.

Jehovah is a name from mythology.

Satan is a name from mythology.

Thor is a name from mythology.

Nythical this and Mythical that. The truth is I know what & who my saviour is, it"s Jesus Crrist Jesus, the son of man. 1/3 of the TRI_UNION God.

Don't kid yourself, judgement at the fest of God's wrath is not something to be looking for. Please rethin your thought that all may be weel with you.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

I have no beleifs,I have reality and reality by it's very nature is provable, one does not have to beleive in reality.

The fact that you are unaware of how much faith you have pumped into your construct of reality makes you a candidate for the blind faith award.

Ah. Which brings this thread to full-circle:

There is nothing to support your belief so no reason to fear the wrath of any god.

Why do you say that? There's no proof of what you say.

"Faith" is the things hoped for, and not seen.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

The fact that you are unaware of how much faith you have pumped into your construct of reality makes you a candidate for the blind faith award.

This coming from a person who claims that there is an invisible man in the sky, who is watching his every move, thinks I am a candidate for the blind faith award? That is absolutely Fucking priceless, the superstitious are always good for a chuckle or two.

BTW, just to make sure we are talking about the same word, here is a little something from the good people at Websters:

re·al·i·ty noun \rē-ˈa-lə-tē\
plural re·al·i·ties
Definition of REALITY

: the quality or state of being real
a (1) : a real event, entity, or state of affairs (2) : the totality of real things and events
b : something that is neither derivative nor dependent but exists necessarily
: television programming that features videos of actual occurrences (as a police chase, stunt, or natural disaster) —often used attributively
— in reality
: in actual fact
Examples of REALITY

the difference between fiction and reality
The reality is that we can't afford to buy a house.
He used television as an escape from reality.
They made the plan a reality.

Now does this word sound like anyone you might know?

su·per·sti·tion noun \ˌsü-pər-ˈsti-shən\
Definition of SUPERSTITION

a : a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation
b : an irrational abject attitude of mind toward the supernatural, nature, or God resulting from superstition
: a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary
Examples of SUPERSTITION

It is a common superstition that a black cat crossing your path is bad luck.
tales of superstition, witchcraft, and magic

If you saw a man walking around with a dead cat who believed the cat was alive, even if it brought him joy, I think a normal reaction would be sadness at the man's delusion.

or in line with the analogy since you just assume God is a myth, what if you are mistaken, the cat is actually alive , the man is happy, and your sadness is just you prejudging the situation based on bias and incomplete information.

Well, I can prove the cat is either alive or dead. I can't do that with a god.
What you are talking about is a sort of "gambler's" belief in a god. People that only believe in a god "just in case" are really lying to themselves about their beliefs. It's a bit like the kid who is old enough to stop believing in Santa but still writes the letters "just in case."
It's a selfish belief and not a sincere one.

So you would accost the man, take his cat away from him to prove whether you were right or wrong? Otherwise how would prove it?
I love those that try to force their belief, rather their disbelief on others.

my cat died today , got all tangled up in my sunday paper , suffocated , but i'm not buying it , i don't believe ANYTHING i see in the newspaper !