Calvin19

wait... "god" is supposed to be capitalized?

I was reading a recent athiesm/agnostic vs the crazies thread and saw a website where an author was reamed for refusing to capitalize the term "god".

Depends on if it's used as a personal pronoun or a generic term. If a person doesn't believe in the existence of any god, then it only makes sense he wouldn't capitalize it when writing about the concept of a supreme being.

BTW, some religions don't allow writing the word god, capitalized or not in ephemeral forms, for instance the Jewish faith. So for anything that's not considered "permanent" (most paper, the internet) you'd see it written as "G-d."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

BTW, some religions don't allow writing the word god, capitalized or not in ephemeral forms, for instance the Jewish faith.

Have you seen the way the Jewish faith write the word Satan.

P A L E S T I N I A N S.!
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

BTW, some religions don't allow writing the word god, capitalized or not in ephemeral forms, for instance the Jewish faith.

I don't think that's actually true. Why would you bring that comment into this discussion? Just classless.
quade -

I don't think that's actually true. Why would you bring that comment into this discussion? Just classless.

FINALLY we agree on something , i must compliment you on a well executed moderation !

I was reading a recent athiesm/agnostic vs the crazies thread and saw a website where an author was reamed for refusing to capitalize the term "god".

Yaweh or Jehovah is God.

Satan is the god of this world.

Thor is a god in mythology.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

>are they not ALL names from mythology?

Well, no. Thor certainly is; Jesus, Mohammed, Martin Luther etc aren't. There are also quite a few historical figures (like Noah) that likely have some level of accuracy, but have likely been severely altered in the oral tradition that preserved their histories.

Well, no. Thor certainly is; Jesus, Mohammed, Martin Luther etc aren't. There are also quite a few historical figures (like Noah) that likely have some level of accuracy, but have likely been severely altered in the oral tradition that preserved their histories.

i'm either understanding you much better, or
you're becoming much more reasonable !

i'm either understanding you much better, or
you're becoming much more reasonable !

Have you considered another option? The one where you've been quick to judge people before understanding them?
quade -

[hoitytoity accent]Well, Darling... There goes the neighborhood[/hoitytoity accent]:D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Well, no.

Well, yes.

Yahweh is a name from mythology.

Jehovah is a name from mythology.

Satan is a name from mythology.

Thor is a name from mythology.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I find it horribly sad that you will never know god isn't real.

Not going top get into the Real/Not Real argument with you.

Why does it make you sad that he has found true profound happiness in his life, no matter what that is?

Is it jealousy? Contempt? Hate? Frustration?

What is the motivation behind sadness for someone's happiness?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Why does it make you sad that he has found true profound happiness in his life, no matter what that is?

Is it jealousy? Contempt? Hate? Frustration?

If you saw a man walking around with a dead cat who believed the cat was alive, even if it brought him joy, I think a normal reaction would be sadness at the man's delusion.

It would not need to be jealousy, contempt, hate or frustration. Sadness would suffice and be perfectly understandable.
quade -

I find it horribly sad that you will never know god isn't real.

You had me right up to the point where you can claim he isn't. I don't understand religious people. I have never experienced anything that would lead me to believe in a supreme being. But I don't know what happens when I die either. I'm content to wait for it happen and see how it goes. If you believe in something and it brings you comfort, good. Just don't ask me to act like I agree with and understand you.
end rant
Life is a banquet, and most poor fools are starving to death

If you saw a man walking around with a dead cat who believed the cat was alive, even if it brought him joy, I think a normal reaction would be sadness at the man's delusion.

or in line with the analogy since you just assume God is a myth, what if you are mistaken, the cat is actually alive , the man is happy, and your sadness is just you prejudging the situation based on bias and incomplete information.