JohnRich

More Guns. Less Crime. Again.

Yes, we have - and the same old "I've never needed one" argument is just as lame as it ever was as a counter.

How so? How is that a "lame" answer? How is that any different than people that feel they do need one?

The only difference is the level of threat, fear, risk or reward one responds to.

You appear to be saying virtually every single person ought to be armed. I'm saying, that's not the case. Many people can go about their entire lives, the vast majority in fact, and never have a single instance where they'd need to have a gun for the purposes of defense of themselves or others.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yes, we have - and the same old "I've never needed one" argument is just as lame as it ever was as a counter.

How so? How is that a "lame" answer? How is that any different than people that feel they do need one?

If I feel I don't need one, how exactly, is that more or less "lame" than the guy that feels he does?

I was actually coming back to the thread to make the statement that I'm sure you see these threads as being 'the same old thing' from the pro-gun side.

The only difference is the level of threat, fear, risk or reward one responds to.

What level of threat, fear, risk or reward is someone responding to when they put on a seat belt, or buy a fire extinguisher?

You appear to be saying virtually every single person ought to be armed.

I've *never* said that - I *do*, however, want virtually every single person to have that option, should they choose it.

I'm saying, that's not the case. Many people can go about their entire lives, the vast majority in fact, and never have a single instance where they'd need to have a gun for the purposes of defense of themselves or others.

Agreed. Unfortunately, the people who are not that fortunate don't usually get advance warning that they're about to be a victim of violent crime.

Just like seat belts, fire extinguishers, insurance and reserve canopies, it's better to have it and never need it than the reverse.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I've *never* said that - I *do*, however, want virtually every single person to have that option, should they choose it.

Every single person? Convicted felons? The mentally insane?

Aren't there some logical limits?
quade -

What level of threat, fear, risk or reward is someone responding to when they put on a seat belt, or buy a fire extinguisher?

Risk vs reward . . . times exposure.

The amount of time people spend behind the wheel of a car and the risks associated with that activity are out of proportion crazy dangerous to to anybody not wearing a seat belt. Seat belts demonstrably save lives. The amount of lives they save far, FAR outweigh the risks associated with them "falling into the wrong hands."

Likewise, very few people are murdered each year with fire extinguishers. ;)
quade -

Have you seen ONE post from me saying the insane or convicted criminals should be able to legally purchase?

Was it *really* necessary to remove the 'virtually' from my reply to throw this moldy strawman into the conversation?

This is a perfect illustration of the 'lame, old argument' that I mention, above.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Have you seen ONE post from me saying the insane or convicted criminals should be able to legally purchase?

But that IS the crux of the matter. Now that we've accepted that there are in fact reasonable limits the question becomes, what is reasonable and to whom?

It's a matter of opinion and degrees, but we do agree on this.
quade -

The amount of lives they save far, FAR outweigh the risks associated with them "falling into the wrong hands."

There are hundreds of thousands of crimes or more prevented each year by defense with a gun. Seems that far outweigh the crimes associated with them 'falling into the wrong hands". (another old, lame argument)

Likewise, very few people are murdered each year with fire extinguishers. ;)

From the 2006 National Vital Statistics Report:
Motor Vehicle deaths: 43664
Firearms homicides: 12791
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

But that IS the crux of the matter. Now that we've accepted that there are in fact reasonable limits the question becomes, what is reasonable and to whom?

Now that we've accepted? When the FUCK have you ever seen one of the pro-gun side say anything differently?

Have you somehow missed the hundreds of posts by myself, JR and others over the last several YEARS that say that the insane and convicted criminals should not be able to purchase?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

. . . while dispatching your attackers !

What attackers?

I live in a fairly high crime zip code and have done so for quite awhile, but have never felt the need.

Maybe you live in a more "dangerous" zip code than I do, but I kind of doubt it.

I DON'T live in a high crime zip code . . BUT . . . Would have been interesting to see him try to injure my child. Messy, to be sure, but interesting nonetheless.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Nifty little lead thrower.
I'd been thinking about an LCP, but I'm reconsidering. B|

Good luck finding ammo.

.380 is almost impossible to find and very pricey when you can find it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Nifty little lead thrower.
I'd been thinking about an LCP, but I'm reconsidering. B|

Good luck finding ammo.

38 SPC and 45 ACP aren't exactly overflowing off the shelves, either.

Re: the LCP, I know a die-hard revolver guy that's VERY satisfied with his LCP, to the point that it's his primary CCW now.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It's a matter of opinion and degrees, but we do agree on this.

start with enforcing what laws we have.

you can't know if the plan sucks until it's executed 100% to plan. Then if you fail, the plan sucked.
--
Rob

Good luck finding ammo.

38 SPC and 45 ACP aren't exactly overflowing off the shelves, either.

No but they are out there and the price has come down some from the astronomical levels of last year.

.380 isn't and hasn't.

That supply and demand thing.

Lots of .380 weapons being sold lately.

Thank goodness for Mike Dillon.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Some days I wonder when .45 ammo will cost as much as .50 bmg rounds. 9mm is still surprisingly available around here. I've never looked for 38 special because I load my five shooter with 357 mag. I know a bunch of folks carrying guns for a living who like the LCP foe backup or concealed carry, butvwith this smith coming out, I'm willing to wait and decide between the two.

If guns kill people, mine must all be defective. All they do is expel metal rounds through the muzzle at high speed when I operate them. I've never had the trigger pull my finger. And I certainly haven't seen all the wild west shootouts, the mayhem at road rage incidents, or (my personal favorite) streets running red with blood.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

in this thread, you posted evidence that proves "More Guns, More Crime."

Quote:
"Since 1991, when total violent crime peaked, it has decreased 43 percent to a 35-year low. The murder rate, less than half what it was in 1980, is now at a 45-year low. Throughout, the number of guns that Americans own has risen by about four million a year...
See attached chart.

It completely baffles me how you could look at this data and conclude that it proves "more guns equals more crime".

If you respond, please try and do so without insults.

It's pretty easy.

You post: "Look - crime went down last year, even though people bought lots of guns. More guns, less crime!"

And then you post a graph showing 4 years of increasing crime in the 90s when guns certainly were being sold. Look! More guns, more crime!

If you had started with that chart to make your claim, it would have held up much better than making a lame argument that crime went down last year because we bought a crapload of guns.

Let me say this very slowly - Barring a major legislative event, a single year to year comparison has absolutely no value in this discussion.

You post: "Look - crime went down last year, even though people bought lots of guns. More guns, less crime!"

And then you post a graph showing 4 years of increasing crime in the 90s when guns certainly were being sold. Look! More guns, more crime!

If you had started with that chart to make your claim, it would have held up much better than making a lame argument that crime went down last year because we bought a crapload of guns.

Let me say this very slowly - Barring a major legislative event, a single year to year comparison has absolutely no value in this discussion.

The problem you're having is that you assumed I made such an argument. I didn't. Therefore, since the premise of your criticism is false, everything which follows is moot.

I've been on record here for a long time with the statement that there is no correlation between gun ownership levels and crime rates. I'm sure you've seen those statements before in other threads. I even refreshed your memory in message #27, and you acknowledged it. Yet you went careening off on the wrong track here anyway, like a runaway locomotive. And that's really ironic, because as you can see in message #27, we actually seem to be in agreement.

Message #27: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3954047;#3954352

The problem you're having is that you assumed I made such an argument. I didn't. Therefore, since the premise of your criticism is false, everything which follows is wrong.

No, the problem is you apparently lost the ability to read English shortly after titling this thread. Which is a shame, because this is something a grade schooler can understand.

neener, neener.