okalb

Mosque Ground Zero

This is similar to the Jews allowing the building of the Nazi headquarters in Jerusalem, and saying, " Oh, they really mean no harm ....lwhy can't we all be friends "?

Of all of the arguments against this, that is probably the dumbest of all of the ones I keep hearing. When you can show me that all of the Muslim world participated in 9/11 then I will agree with that statement. Since that is not the case and anyone with half a brain knows it, that statement is just idiotic.

I know you won't answer this, but would you have a problem if the US Military wanted to open a recruiting center a few blocks away from the site of the Oklahoma city bombing?
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

No, it wouldn't be anything like that. Allowing a branch of Al Qaeda to operate there would be closer. But it's not Al Qaeda who's going to opening there.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

This is similar to the Jews allowing the building of the Nazi headquarters in Jerusalem, and saying, " Oh, they really mean no harm ....lwhy can't we all be friends "?

No - it's similar to building a German community center in Jerusalem. What would be wrong with that?

cuomo has said that he will not investigate the funds, even though there is a good possibility that they will take funds from Iran. I just don't understand that at all.

Hey Dom,

Do we investigate every church that opens to see where the money is coming from before we decide if it is ok for them to build or not? Maybe we should see if they are connected to such terrorist organizations as the Vatican before we should allow them to build.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

No - it's similar to building a German community center in Jerusalem. What would be wrong with that?

Actually . . . Catholic/Christian. Hitler was a Catholic.

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942)

Source; http://www.nobeliefs.com/hitler.htm
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What a crock of shit
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Of all of the arguments against this, that is probably the dumbest of all of the ones I keep hearing. When you can show me that all of the Muslim world participated in 9/11 then I will agree with that statement. Since that is not the case and anyone with half a brain knows it, that statement is just idiotic.

Did you know the Bath Party was heavily involved with the Nazi Party?
Dom

They said they will not rule out the possibility of taking money from Iran. Why should we not look into it at that point?

If you look at the Cordoba Initiative's FAQ pagethey make it quite clear that
a. they hope to raise money from lots of different people
b. The New York Charities Bureau and the US Treasury Department will review the donor list

That should vet the donations for apprpriateness. I have a feeling that the Treasury department would frown on a check signed by Ahmedinejad.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If you look at the Cordoba Initiative's FAQ pagethey make it quite clear that
a. they hope to raise money from lots of different people
b. The New York Charities Bureau and the US Treasury Department will review the donor list

That should vet the donations for apprpriateness. I have a feeling that the Treasury department would frown on a check signed by Ahmedinejad.

Most of you wont like this, but I dont trust them at all Wendy. They can say whatever they want on their FAQ section of their website.

Donor list, who is going to provide the Donor list? If they do take money from Iran, you think they are going to put that on their donor list?

Andrew Cumo has said that we will not look into it because he believes all of this is "Islamophobia" If they want people to trust and believe that they are not going to be supporting terrorist activities, then they need to say straight out...."We will not take money from known terrorist organizations."
Dom

Actually . . . Catholic/Christian. Hitler was a Catholic.

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942)

Source; http://www.nobeliefs.com/hitler.htm

Good catch, Paul - that's really the relevant comparison if you want to bring the Nazis in - Hitler did his thing in the name of Catholicism just as al Qaeda did theirs in the name of Islam.

Just as we reject Hitler's claim to represent all of Catholicism, we should equally reject al Qaeda's to represent all of Islam.

Why the double standard?

Most of you wont like this, but I dont trust them at all Wendy. They can say whatever they want on their FAQ section of their website

So in other words it doesn't matter what they say or do, you're against them.

Why is that?

Wendy P.

Why is that?

I'm saying that trust is earned and they are not doing anything to earn that trust. The only way that the fundamentalists are going to be stamped out is from the inside of the Muslim religion and I see NOTHING that shows me that is happening.

They are pushing so hard for their right to build and DO NOT CARE that it is insensitive and strikes a very real nerve with a very large portion of both the right and left. They want tolerance, but they have no understanding or concern for the way people feel about it.

They can build a Mosque anywhere else and nobody would be raising a stink about it. That is evident by the 100's of Mosques already in NYC that nobody messes with.
Dom

Why is that?

I'm saying that trust is earned and they are not doing anything to earn that trust. The only way that the fundamentalists are going to be stamped out is from the inside of the Muslim religion and I see NOTHING that shows me that is happening.

Most likely because you're not looking.

http://www.pbm.org.uk/press/20091002islam4uk.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwy1W0IvnMg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITq7rLG64Lc

British Muslims confronting Islamist extremists from UK4Islam/Al Majairoun on the streets on Luton (UK) (From 2:13 onwards)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX7Oh7YJMGo&feature=related
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Dude, give it up. We disagree. They have no logical reason from a religious stand point to build it there save one. Period

Actually, they have just as much justification as any other religion to build a house of worship. There are Muslims who work in lower Manhattan, and they might like somewhere to go during the day and early evening on the way home from work; particularly since Friday is normally a workday -- this will give people a place to go for prayer on the way home Friday evening.

They have been using this site for quite awhile, but only as an informal mosque. Now they want to increase the number of services offered. I believe that's what a business (and any religion is a business in this context) does when they're growing.

Marc, your objections appear to be largely emotional. There's nothing wrong with that -- 9/11 engenders some strong emotions, and you're not the only person they engender some strong emotions in. People are emotional creatures. That's why this is a hot topic. But trying to turn it into a non-emotional objection really exposes its emotional core.

Wendy P.

Not emotional at all. Too many whys they will not answer. I could care less if they build a mosque. If they want to be inclusive and open, why do they want to build it where 3/4 of New Yorkers dont want it and 60% of the US population doesnt want it

Great way to build a relation ship

Why is THIS spot so important?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln