okalb

Mosque Ground Zero

I know this has been discussed before, but since the court ruling yesterday the zealots are trying to come up with another way to stop the mosque from being built.

Can someone please explain to me why anyone in their right minds would have a problem with this mosque being built. This mosque being built exactly where they are building it represents everything good about the USA to me. Can anyone who opposes this give me any good reason other than fear why this should be stopped?
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

>Can someone please explain to me why anyone in their right minds
>would have a problem with this mosque being built.

Fear and anger mainly. A lot of people are afraid of Muslims/Arabs, and they feel that they must be 'fought.' This is a very visible fight.

Because many people who claim to be patriots have no clue what this country has and will always stand for.
That’s why we have a The Constitution so idiots who only can see 5 feet in front of them can not oppress a minority simply because of knee-jerk reactions.

So the answer is simple. We have a lot of stupid people who can not even rationalize there own way of thinking! yet they are too dimwitted to accept there mistakes or even admit them and learn.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Let them have the mosque, but not at or near Ground Zero.

I just can't wrap my mind around having a mosque that represents a religion whose fanatics killed over 2000 innocent people just blocks away. >:(

I know every religion has their fanatics and assholes, but a mosque within shouting distance of Ground Zero? It's just wrong. :|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have no problem with any religion. My only fear is that building a mosque at ground zero would be twisted into a symbol for extremist, not just Muslims but any terrorist/extremist. Even the best of intentions can be twisted by those who have ulterior motives. This is not to say that it shouldn’t be built, but careful step should be taken to prevent it being used as a symbol for terror/extremism.
Life is short, eat more bacon, have more sex and jump anytime you can!!

I just can't wrap my mind around having a mosque that represents a religion whose fanatics killed over 2000 innocent people just blocks away. >:(

I know every religion has their fanatics and assholes, but a mosque within shouting distance of Ground Zero? It's just wrong. :|

On the contrary Billy, I think its actually the best possible place. At some point the people of the Abrahamic faiths need to come together and realize how much more they have in common than the differences they have. Fostering an atmosphere of acceptance of all people will be the only way there will EVER be peace.

Yes everyone has fanatics but its up to the majority who are willing to accept others and control the nutjobs amoung them that will win in the end. The alternative is another religious war like the thousands that have killed millions of humans over the millenia.

I truly believe in live and let live until those unwilling to leave me alone to live my life intrude into my life. A few fanatics attacked us not the whole religion.

How do you feel about Christian churches near places that Crusaders slaughtered thousands? Or near Auschwitz?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>I know every religion has their fanatics and assholes, but a mosque
>within shouting distance of Ground Zero? It's just wrong.

Fortunately this one isn't. You'd have to go down the block to the end, turn south, then go another block before you were within a block of Ground Zero. Then someone might hear you shout. (Unlikely, this being Manhattan and all, but I guess it's possible,)

>I know every religion has their fanatics and assholes, but a mosque
>within shouting distance of Ground Zero? It's just wrong.

Fortunately this one isn't. You'd have to go down the block to the end, turn south, then go another block before you were within a block of Ground Zero. Then someone might hear you shout. (Unlikely, this being Manhattan and all, but I guess it's possible,)

:D Touche`

Well freedom is a great thing I'll admit. Freedom from religious persecution. If they go ahead with this mosque, I sure as damn hell hope the fanatics don't use it for their fucked up ideologies.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>How do you feel about Christian churches near places that
>Crusaders slaughtered thousands?

Or - perhaps more apropos - Catholic churches built within three blocks of schools.

That was just wrong. :D:D:D:D

Can someone please explain to me why anyone in their right minds would have a problem with this mosque being built. This mosque being built exactly where they are building it

This belies the issue. I'd like to see people who can identify and empathize with both sides.

The issue, as I have seen it, is "why must they build the mosque where they are building it?" The location of it is certainly designed to send a message. The message being heard by many, however, is likely at odds with the message intended to be sent.

I don't see protests over building mosques in other places. But Ground Zero aint' just another place. It was expected to stir emotions, it has stirred emotions and it will continue to stir emotions.

Can anyone who opposes this give me any good reason other than fear why this should be stopped?

I cannot. I don't think it should be stopped by the government. On the flip side, can you provide me with any good reason why these people who lost loved ones because of Muslim nutters and who ar PTSD from that awful day shouldn't be pissed off?

Understanding goes both ways. I understand the Muslims. I undestand the protestors. Too many are focused solely on understanding one side and despising the other.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The issue, as I have seen it, is "why must they build the mosque where they are building it?"

You say that like good inexpensive space is easy to come by in manhattan.

On the flip side, can you provide me with any good reason why these people who lost loved ones because of Muslim nutters and who ar PTSD from that awful day shouldn't be pissed off?

I guess they have every right to be pissed at the people building the mosque. Just like they had every right to be pissed at the people of Iraq for 9/11 [:/]

On the contrary Billy, I think its actually the best possible place. At some point the people of the Abrahamic faiths need to come together and realize how much more they have in common than the differences they have. Fostering an atmosphere of acceptance of all people will be the only way there will EVER be peace.

Yes everyone has fanatics but its up to the majority who are willing to accept others and control the nutjobs amoung them that will win in the end. The alternative is another religious war like the thousands that have killed millions of humans over the millenia.

I truly believe in live and let live until those unwilling to leave me alone to live my life intrude into my life. A few fanatics attacked us not the whole religion.

THUD...... Skyrad falls over, picks himself up and says ...

"WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH AMAZON???" :P
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

:o:o

Who are you and what did you do to Amazon?

;)
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Just think of all the money that could be made selling the best 'All Pork Hotdogs in NYC' on the sidewalk out front. How far do you think pissed off people would walk just to stand out in front of this mosque and eat one?

:D:D:D

Just like they had every right to be pissed at the people of Iraq for 9/11

Do you understand that you have just tossed something else out there to incite discussion on another point? What the hell does the righteousness of the Iraq invasion have to do with the mosque? Little to nothing.

I happen to think that the mosque should be there and anything that disallows it is anathema to freedom. I happen to understand the reaction of those traumatized by it.

I also think that the Iraq carrot does not lead to anything useful but rather obfuscates any legitimate discussion.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I happen to think that the mosque should be there and anything that disallows it is anathema to freedom. I happen to understand the reaction of those traumatized by it.

Well put.

The part I like least, personally, is the national spotlight on this, started by lots and lots of people with ulterior motives (e.g. greater divisiveness, better radio ratings, votes, getting in the news, etc).

There is no perfect group, no perfect time. It's kind of like having a baby -- you're never really ready for your first, but most people find that they cope just fine after it comes, and welcome the richness added to their lives. Only a few have their thoughts dominated by the fact that they can't both stay out late drinking any more, or because the breasts sag.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Imagine how those of Islamic faith that lost loved ones on 9/11 must feel!
[:/]

There weren't only Caucasian, Christian, Americans lost that tragic day.

Also interesting that they (local Islamic followers) have been using the site for worship yet no one objected, protested, or rallied against that.
:S

Just like they had every right to be pissed at the people of Iraq for 9/11

Do you understand that you have just tossed something else out there to incite discussion on another point? What the hell does the righteousness of the Iraq invasion have to do with the mosque? Little to nothing.

I also think that the Iraq carrot does not lead to anything useful but rather obfuscates any legitimate discussion.

My comment about Iraq had nothing to do with the righteousness of the invasion. It had everything to do with blaming the right people. For a long time after the Iraq invasion people blamed Iraq for 9/11. Most knew they had nothing to do with each other. It makes no difference whether or not you supported the Iraq war. The families of the victims of 9/11 have every right to be pissed. They should just be pissed at the right people.

Woah. Just booked a personal English teacher. Can't trust my eyes (and ears) any longer :S

Ma'am, you're OK?

BTW: As an American, I'd be pissed eternally >:(

dudeist skydiver # 3105