Skyrad

French ban the burka

In my opinion the French ban on wearing the Burka is a good thing. The Burka is not Islamic but a Saudi custom which promotes seperation and segregation from society. I hope they do the same in the rest of Europe.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100713/twl-french-parliament-votes-to-ban-the-v-3fd0ae9.html
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I don't see why government should be making any laws on the subject. If this were security focused, like removing it at the airport or another cordoned area to confirm identify, there's justification. But mandating that people can't cover up? Silly, and has it's own problems.

For spring skiing, I may wear a full mask mask even in warm weather because the sun will melt my skin (and worse, lips) away. Some are far more sensitive. Some may just want to cover up - burns, whatever. Should remain their choice. The argument that some don't get the choice isn't compelling to me.

I take on board what your saying but both balaclavas (also ski masks) and crash helments have a practical application and purpose whereas a burka has none. It is quite likely that it will be overturned by the ECHR. While the burka does not have a direct implication for security in general life it doe I believe pose a threat to society in general by making extremist behaviour acceptable. It also promotes wahibi salafist theologic thought and practice which is at the very rotten and twisted core of the Islamist movement. If society wants to be safer from young impressionable Muslims and in particular converts then the extreme Saudi influence must be undermined and removed from Islam.
Of course there will be a backlash against the ban but a firm line must be taken and the French government must be strong.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

This will last until someone takes it to the Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg then it will be thrown out. I don't like them but you need to ban balaclavas and crash helmets if you go down this route.

In the US, it is already Illegal to wear a full face helmet into a business! No Masks allowed either!

It's a disgraceful, appalling law to have in a modern, Western nation that holds itself out as one of the world's democratic republics, and I'm disgusted. I've written on it before.

So you think peopel hiding their face in banks and stores is OK?

You do realise many suicide bombers have been men in Burka's., to fool officials?

wearing a mask has ben illegal in many places since the 1800's...If the Muslims don; liek it, they are welcome to move back to thier countries...when Our women Visit them, "They have to cover up" so why shoudl they require we bend to their rules, Yet they wont bend to ours?

It's a disgraceful, appalling law to have in a modern, Western nation that holds itself out as one of the world's democratic republics, and I'm disgusted. I've written on it before.

You do realise many suicide bombers have been men in Burka's., to fool officials?

wearing a mask has ben illegal in many places since the 1800's...If the Muslims don; liek it, they are welcome to move back to thier countries...when Our women Visit them, "They have to cover up" so why shoudl they require we bend to their rules, Yet they wont bend to ours?

My local service station will not serve me if I don't take off my full face helmet, it is a similar concept.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

The French law has absolutely nothing to do with robberies or terrorism.
As for the rest, I don't argue with race-motivated rants.

Thin end of the wedge...

AND there are already laws in place (in most countries) to stop people being bullied... SO, if the ladies are being forced to wear the garment - go after the bullies, BUT if they are wearing it through THEIR choice - government should STFU.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

when Our women Visit them, "They have to cover up" so why shoudl they require we bend to their rules, Yet they wont bend to ours?

There, I snipped that nasty part out, so now you can answer what remains.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

when Our women Visit them, "They have to cover up" so why shoudl they require we bend to their rules, Yet they wont bend to ours?

So you want our western nations to follow extremist Muslim nations lead in law making. Got it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

So you want our western nations to follow extremist Muslim nations lead in law making. Got it.

Wow
You really dont get it do you......
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Show where I advocated that, thanks.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

This is not an easy issue as you make it out to be, seeing as how the burka is in direct opposition to those ideals that free societies hold.

When you have a religion that seeks not just to guide private life, but public life by laying down a foundation for laws, then you really need to think about the consequences of that becoming the majority and what it would mean for the rule of law and life as a whole.

As Europe ages rapidly and is having fewer and fewer children to replace the old retiring workers, immigrants from muslim countries are filling that gap, and they are coming in faster than Europeans are having babies.

In a generation or two, this issue could get a lot more complicated if you wish to protect free society in Europe.

Well, if that's not what you want western nations to do, then you don't need anyone to answer that question for you, you already know the answer to it.

The burka is only in opposition to free society ideals if it's imposed on the woman. While I find it hard to believe that anyone would choose to wear one, well, I find it harder to believe that anyone would want to pierce some of the stuff I've seen pierced, too.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

When you have a religion that seeks not just to guide private life, but public life by laying down a foundation for laws, then you really need to think about the consequences of that becoming the majority and what it would mean for the rule of law and life as a whole.

Unfortunately, Christians already have the majority.

Well, if that's not what you want western nations to do, then you don't need anyone to answer that question for you, you already know the answer to it.

And what's the answer that I already know, jakee? What with your super-telepathy powers and all you could have just told us at your first post, without all this back and forth.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706