Andy_Copland

Lockpicks - Illegal To Own

Gosh darn it, now we're going to have to ban the possession of loose street sweeper bristles, wiper blade inserts and bicycle spokes. Just imagine all the drivers and bike-riding kids whose lives are going to be innocently destroyed in this crackdown on illegal lock pick tools. What a shame.

I keep hearing people can drown in 2" of water. Time to ban bathtubs.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Gosh darn it, now we're going to have to ban the possession of loose street sweeper bristles, wiper blade inserts and bicycle spokes. Just imagine all the drivers and bike-riding kids whose lives are going to be innocently destroyed in this crackdown on illegal lock pick tools. What a shame.

A lot of freely available items can be assembled into a bomb, and yet you cannot walk into Radio Shack and ask for a ready assembled bomb over the counter.
If you want to create you own picks from bicycle parts then good for you I say, but I maintain that there should be deterrents on the casual over-the-counter purchase of professionally made, machine crafted picks. Again I accept that property security is a non-issue for many Americans, so forgive my opinion on this.

You may well counter my argument by suggesting that if the number of freely available lockpicks makes me feel insecure, then I should use better locks or biometric security. In many places here we're already living like that. It's not much fun.
Pray it never happens in your area. :P

You're caught in a neighborhood where there have been a lot of BMVs and you have a history of BMVs on your CCH, you don't live in the neighborhood AND you have porcelain chips from spark plugs in a baggy, well, you might just have burglary tools.

porcelain chips???

OK, how are these useful?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You're caught in a neighborhood where there have been a lot of BMVs and you have a history of BMVs on your CCH, you don't live in the neighborhood AND you have porcelain chips from spark plugs in a baggy, well, you might just have burglary tools.

porcelain chips???

I was going to give you a hard time - but i couldn't find any reference with a quick search.:ph34r:

The porcelain is much harder than glass and is used to "pop" or shatter a piece of tempered glass.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

well... our government hasnt removed our capability nor our right to defend ourselves in our own homes either.

Not completely. But they keep trying

http://news.yahoo.com/s/realclearpolitics/20100602/cm_rcp/chicago_v_self_defense
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

well... our government hasnt removed our capability nor our right to defend ourselves in our own homes either.

Not completely. But they keep trying

http://news.yahoo.com/s/realclearpolitics/20100602/cm_rcp/chicago_v_self_defense

There is no PR like Good PR!

"When he returned home, the man...wore a T-shirt emblazoned with President Obama's face and name.":D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Anyone have luck with those auto pick guns?

I have a friend who is a former locksmith. He picked a lock in my house once, when I had lost my keys on a desert hike. He couldn't get the deadbolt lock open with a manual pick. So he pulled out the auto pick gun, and after just a couple squeezes of the handle, voila! It was open. I became convinced that those gizmos are a great tool.

porcelain chips???

I was going to give you a hard time - but i couldn't find any reference with a quick search.:ph34r:

The porcelain is much harder than glass and is used to "pop" or shatter a piece of tempered glass.

More specifically... if you take even a small chip of porcelain from a spark plug and throw it at a window/tempered glass it will shatter it.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

YOu guys are taking my question way out of context. I was simply asking how it is a hobby. Never heard of anyone picking locks as a hobby is all.

for the record though. I dont think that people should be able to own lock picking tools unless they have a good valid reason for it. If everyone has them, we might as well just set our stuff out on the street for criminals to take. Sure some may be responsible with the tools, but you and I both know that the great majority of the people that would have them, would be using them for illegal purposes.

Even you just admitted that you have some and use them to illegally break into places to jump.

I don't see how you can compare lock picks to owning a weapon based on my previous post though. Again it wasn't a statement. It was a question.
Dom

I dont think that people should be able to own lock picking tools unless they have a good valid reason for it.

(Slippery slope ahead)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I dont think that people should be able to own lock picking tools unless they have a good valid reason for it.

I sometimes lose a key, and I sometimes help people get back into their cars after locking their keys inside. Do you consider that a valid reason?

I sometimes lose a key, and I sometimes help people get back into their cars after locking their keys inside. Do you consider that a valid reason?

CRIMINAL!

:ph34r::ph34r:

>If everyone has them, we might as well just set our stuff out on the
>street for criminals to take.

Well, not quite. It's not all that easy to pick a good lock even with good tools.

>I don't see how you can compare lock picks to owning a weapon based
>on my previous post though.

Agreed. Picks (or spoons, or bathtubs) are not really anything like a gun, despite some people's best efforts to equate them.

>If everyone has them, we might as well just set our stuff out on the
>street for criminals to take.

Well, not quite. It's not all that easy to pick a good lock even with good tools.

>I don't see how you can compare lock picks to owning a weapon based
>on my previous post though.

Agreed. Picks (or spoons, or bathtubs) are not really anything like a gun, despite some people's best efforts to equate them.

Well than - Ban spoons!

really bill... you know what the analogy is.

An object designed to perform a function that is legal by some, but can be used to commit a crime by others.

Should the object be illegal to own, or should only the act be illegal to commit?

Though they are both crimes against a person. I'm not equating theft to murder.
--
Rob

>An object designed to perform a function that is legal by some, but can
>be used to commit a crime by others.

Agreed. However, how easy it is to commit the crime with the object, and how dangerous the object is in the wrong hands, is also a determining factor in how it is regulated.

Yes, you can kill someone with a car and you can kill someone with a spoon. Doesn't mean that they should be regulated the same way.

Agreed. However, how easy it is to commit the crime with the object, and how dangerous the object is in the wrong hands, is also a determining factor in how it is regulated.

Yes, you can kill someone with a car and you can kill someone with a spoon. Doesn't mean that they should be regulated the same way.

Why not?

Why not?

Running over a turtle with a spoon is a lot harder. But then eating turtle soup with a car is a lot harder too.

Your feigned stupidity gets very tiring. As I've stated before, don't know why trolling from you is allowed.