Gawain

Al Gore's New $8.875M Monticello Villa

Why does Bill Gates?

If Bill Gates was found to be using Macs, it might be comparable.

Hotmail ran on unix long after MS bought it. (I think the transition to NT was done around the same time (err, minute) that the service really began to suck.

But bear in mind that Gates never said the world would end if you ran unix or macos.

Do you realize how idiotic the three of you sound trying to defend your hero like you are?

Please . . . arguing for the sake of arguing is pointless here. Just admit the quack is a bleeding hypocrite and go on about your day. You know he is, we know he is, trying to argue that he is NOT is completely pointless.

All it does is make you look and seem aloof and ignorant.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I guess somebody is going to have to grow the anatomy to ask Gore, "do you believe that it would be acceptable if the rest of the people in the world maintained your level of energy consumption?"

Or, "Do you believe that purchasing carbon credits would be feasible for the vast majority of others in this world who lack your personal affluence?"

My wife is hotter than your wife.

take his new house out of it and his carbon footprint is still hundreds of times bigger than the average person.

You know this? How?

Please give numbers.

no. you know god damn well he uses far more energy than the average person by a large order of magnitude. if the man truly believed we were is a climate crisis he would live more like ed begley jr.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

take his new house out of it and his carbon footprint is still hundreds of times bigger than the average person.

You know this? How?

Please give numbers.

no. you know god damn well he uses far more energy than the average person by a large order of magnitude. if the man truly believed we were is a climate crisis he would live more like ed begley jr.

Oh no! Only the very-very best for the 'poster boy' of saving the environment. I can't believe that people really buy into what he's selling.[:/] P.T. was right!

Chuck

Why does Bill Gates?

Why did Ken Lay need 8 homes?

He didn't. He was a greedy SOB.

Why don't you folks go research "sustainability" and report back when you actually know something.

Sustainability would require that people not do what Gore is doing. This is, of course, unless one wants to grant exceptions to a chosen group whose hearts apparently lie in the right place.

In order for Mr. Gore's lifestyle to be sustainable, billions of other people MUST get by on much less. Mr. Gore - and those like him - come from a position of privilege. There will be the requirement for others to lower their energy usage. Not for him.

I don't have a problem with inequity. I do have a problem with those who would exempt themselves from the standards they set for others.

That right there is UN-AMERICUN... here I thought you were the great defender of all things corporatist and capatalist:S:S

DUUUUUDE... are you a commie.... the RICH are different. They have the money to do what they want. We live in the country run BY the GOLDEN RULE.

HE WHO HAS THE GOLD MAKES DA RULZ...... so suck it up cupcake

Do you realize how idiotic the three of you sound trying to defend your hero like you are?

Please . . . arguing for the sake of arguing is pointless here. Just admit the quack is a bleeding hypocrite and go on about your day. You know he is, we know he is, trying to argue that he is NOT is completely pointless.

All it does is make you look and seem aloof and ignorant.

Well, speaking strictly for myself, I made a grand total of two posts to this thread: a silly joke about someone else's joke about "pussy credits", and a silly joke about someone else's joke about an old blues song covered by George Thoroughgood.

You really need to get a fucking grip. Remember the old adage (which I merely repeat here, since it's horridly un-PC): arguing over the Internet is like the Special Olympics - even if you win, you're still retarded.

Of course he is a hypocrite. A very fucking rich hypocrite. Every televangalist out there is a hypocrite. Most people are hypocrites.

Will you now admit that people get more upset about Gore being a hypocrite because his political alliance is different from yours? Will you admit that the level of anger at Gore is driven more by political differences than anyting else?

Will you be just as outraged about hypocriticism with Republicans? If not, well that would just make you an....Al Gore.....

>Do you realize how idiotic the three of you sound trying to defend your
>hero like you are?

Not as foolish as you constantly defending Bush, who (as you may notice) is no longer president. Indeed, if all the Bush apologists put a tenth of that effort into reducing pollution/emissions/oil usage we'd be halfway to a solution.

Why does Bill Gates?

Why did Ken Lay need 8 homes?

He didn't. He was a greedy SOB.

Why don't you folks go research "sustainability" and report back when you actually know something.

Sustainability would require that people not do what Gore is doing. This is, of course, unless one wants to grant exceptions to a chosen group whose hearts apparently lie in the right place.

You don't know that. You have no information whatever on the sustainability of that house.

Go research sustainability, since you clearly do NOT know what is involved. Sustainability has nothing to do with size and does NOT mean abstinence despite the right's attempts to suggest that it does.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You know this? How?

Please give numbers.

The issue is how much NON RENEWABLE energy he uses, not how much total energy he uses. If he uses 100x your usage but it all comes from wind, solar or hydroelectric, he's doing a lot better than you.

Sustainability has nothing to do with size and does NOT mean abstinence

That's the second time you've said that. Spending too much time in Bonfire? :P

As my wife tells me, you can't draw ANY conclusion from size alone.;)

Sustainability has nothing to do with size and does NOT mean abstinence

That's the second time you've said that. Spending too much time in Bonfire? :P

As my wife tells me, you can't draw ANY conclusion from size alone.;)

That's a good thing...for both of us ;)
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/17/photos-al-goree-new-8875_n_579286.html

I'm sure this has a minimal carbon footprint. This, along with his mansion in Nashville...

He's a common man, looking out for the downtrodden and the polar bears. He's looking out for you! Yeah! :S:S

So good that he practices as he preaches.

he's done extremely well for himself. A fine example of capitalism at work. It always amazes me thats staunch supporters of big business have such a hard time with Al Gore getting rich.

Quite frankly, I wish I would have thought of it.

One of his companies sells carbon offsets which he "buys" from. What a joke. Carbon offset are snake oil! He is profiting from lies.... end of story. I don't give a rip if he has a huge house but I do care about the bullshit he slings that he cannot back up!

Do you believe in SO2 offsets or do you think they are snake oil too?

Yes! It is either a way for the govt. to get money to fund what they deem as necessary or a way for a private company to get rich on BS.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

The house looks pretty average to me. I'm sure it doesn't require any more electricity or water to maintain it compared to other average homes. I don't know what everyone is getting upset about. :S:S

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2010/05/exclusive-estimate-carbon-footprint-of.html

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2010/05/03/stunning-pictures-al-gores-new-9-million-mansion-media-totally-ignore

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/17/photos-al-goree-new-8875_n_579286.html

I'm sure this has a minimal carbon footprint. This, along with his mansion in Nashville...

He's a common man, looking out for the downtrodden and the polar bears. He's looking out for you! Yeah! :S:S

So good that he practices as he preaches.

he's done extremely well for himself. A fine example of capitalism at work. It always amazes me thats staunch supporters of big business have such a hard time with Al Gore getting rich.

Quite frankly, I wish I would have thought of it.

One of his companies sells carbon offsets which he "buys" from. What a joke. Carbon offset are snake oil! He is profiting from lies.... end of story. I don't give a rip if he has a huge house but I do care about the bullshit he slings that he cannot back up!

Do you believe in SO2 offsets or do you think they are snake oil too?

Yes! It is either a way for the govt. to get money to fund what they deem as necessary or a way for a private company to get rich on BS.

So the dramatic improvement in quality of our lakes and rivers since SO2 offsets were introduced is of no consequence to you.

www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=1085

Acid rain levels have dropped 65% since 1976.

You know this? How?

Please give numbers.

The issue is how much NON RENEWABLE energy he uses, not how much total energy he uses. If he uses 100x your usage but it all comes from wind, solar or hydroelectric, he's doing a lot better than you.

It was published a couple years ago that Gore's Nashville mansion uses an extraordinary amount of energy, and there wasn't much evidence that indicated it was "green"....just from the local utility (whoever it is in the Bell Meade area of Nashville). It's the same as you passing judgment on a guy you see driving a full sized SUV. You have no idea whether or not he uses all that space...:S
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

The Gores' Tennessee home is certified by the US Green Building Council as a Gold LEED certified home for retrofitted homes. As part of the LEED certification process, they upgraded their windows, lighting, appliances and insulation, among other items in and around the home. The residence is powered with a geothermal system as well as 33-solar panels. The Gores also participate in the "Green PowerSwitch" program offered by their utility

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/al-gore-house-47062202?src=rss#ixzz0oZkBVzar

The Gores' Tennessee home is certified by the US Green Building Council as a Gold LEED certified home for retrofitted homes. As part of the LEED certification process, they upgraded their windows, lighting, appliances and insulation, among other items in and around the home. The residence is powered with a geothermal system as well as 33-solar panels. The Gores also participate in the "Green PowerSwitch" program offered by their utility

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/al-gore-house-47062202?src=rss#ixzz0oZkBVzar

Your selective quoting is so cute...

Kalee Kreider, a spokeswoman for Gore, didn't dispute the electricity figures published by the AP at the time. But she said that the Gores work from their home and purchase energy from renewable solar, wind and methane gas sources. She argued that by participating in the "green" utility program and investing in renewable energy projects worldwide, the Gores were living a "carbon-neutral lifestyle."

We didn't ask for the Gores' electric bills, so we can't say how much efficiency improvement the family has accomplished. But the e-mail was on target in 2007; it's out of date now.

Only after his utility bills were outed (and the guy that did had his life threatened by all manner of folks)...suddenly it's okay now. Fine by me. However, Gore didn't magically start talking about his BS in 2009...:S
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

You know this? How?

Please give numbers.

Even if all the energy he uses does come from renewable sources, shouldn't he be leaving more of that renewable source energy out there for everyone else to use?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

You beat me to it. Every time someone comments on the fact that a family-values-preaching republican gets hammered for having an affair when a Democrat doesn't, just take note of the hammering that Al Gore takes for his lifestyle, when Hugh Hefner doesn't :ph34r:

Wendy P.

yep you are right, except that the guy cheating on his wife is not costing every single person in the country a large portion of their income.