skycop

What were you doing 10 yrs ago, Y2K Doomsday cometh....

Remember 10 yrs ago and all the Y2K hype? Where were you and what were you doing?

Before I went out drinking and watching fireworks and getting hit on by a girl at the party who was bored by her bf, I picked up two handguns.

I think it was the last time you could buy more than one at a time, so last chance to get multi purchase discounts.

Deja vu from this morning? :ph34r:B|

Remember 10 yrs ago and all the Y2K hype? Where were you and what were you doing?

I flew commercial from ORD to SFO on the evening 31 Dec 1999. Emptiest I have ever seen either airport. Not a lot of folks on the plane either. Made it to the Embarcadero around 10:30-11PM. :D

At the same time, yes I took it seriously - selected that option in the poll. Much of the reason that the Y2K bug was not much of an issue wasn't because it was over-hyped -- altho' there certainly were cases of that; it was because the private and governmental entities globally responded, invested/spent a lot of money, and took action.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Before I went out drinking and watching fireworks and getting hit on by a girl at the party ...

Hey, maybe we have met? :P

(I was bored by my best friend's boyfriend tho'.)

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I was in the backseat of a National Guard OH-58, flying around greater Cincinnati blacked out with NVG's. We were supporting my police dept., the radio barely cracked. We had a huge celebration with Miss America, the Governor of Kentucky and several other VIP's. There was supposed to be 50,000 people, I think there were 300, 303 counting us in the helicopter. The radio barely cracked on both sides of the Ohio river all night, it was by far the slowest New Years Eve in my law enforcement career. 6 hours of turning fuel into noise, but it was fun!

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Jan 01, 2000 at 8:30 am I was showing up to work (technical service desk at a CompUSA)

It was interesting to see the cross-section of people who were nerdy enough to be dealing with their computer in any way on a holiday but not nerdy enough to avoid pinning mundane issues on the y2k bug.

I was laughing at the contractor dollars I got paid to update some people's systems (using vendor patches) remotely. They couldn't RTFM and paid me insane $$ to do it for them.

Of course now, with kids and a wife, I'm wishing I hadn't spent it all... But I sure had fun spending it!!
--
Rob

Before I went out drinking and watching fireworks and getting hit on by a girl at the party ...

Hey, maybe we have met? :P

(I was bored by my best friend's boyfriend tho'.)

/Marg

it was a short lived tryst with a person who was taking classes like 'typing.' Not quite the same level of candle power. Like I said, lot of drinking.

it was a short lived tryst with a person who was taking classes like 'typing.' Not quite the same level of candle power. Like I said, lot of drinking.

Yep, that sounds like the storyline I used while incognito. ;) ... :P

Tibetan Buddhist saying

was in the bombshelter at Perris, drunk off my ass standing on the bar video'n the party having a great time.

then some smartass turned off all lights and I nearly fell off the bar B|

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Seems like just yesterday... damn 10 years go fast huh? I was in Prague drunk off absinthe with some really great friends. Got pick pocketed got fireworks dropped into my coat pockets! It was such an awesome time.

edited to add: I am pretty sure I didnt even have an email account then, much less bank online.
"We didn't start the fire"

Sitting in the middle of a military camp in the Balkans, watching the locals set off fireworks.

Fast-forward 10 years...and I'm sitting in the middle of a military camp in the Balkans, watching the locals set off fireworks. ;)

Happy New Year, everyone!

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

My wife and I were at the house, watching an old movie (black & white). At mid-night, we kissed, wished each other a Happy New Year, finished the movie and went to bed. The next morning, we kinda laughed about all the 'fears' of computers crashing and etc. It was not much different than the day before.

Happy, healthy and safe, New Year to everyone!

Chuck

I was at a private party at the American Museum of the American Indian in lower Manhattan. I do remember driving home via the west side highway so as to avoid any tolls on the way out of Manhattan--not specifically to avoid paying tolls but because I didn't want my way home to depend on computers.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

i was living in seattle and had planned to celebrate there with some friends, but the butt fuck mayor cancelled the millenium celebration so we went to a friend's house in olympia and ate a bunch of ecstasy. good times.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com