TomAiello

How many rounds of ammo do you keep at home?

maybe a couple hundred

now someone can mock my supply by giving me the stats for why 200 thieves/killers won't enter my house in one night :P

since that's the only use for ammo

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

John's on vacation? :)

I answered none.

We don't need any around here. ;)

Violent crime stats, 2006:

Canada: 951/100k (data courtesy of Statistics Canada)
United States: 473.5/100k (FBI UCR)

You were saying? :)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>now someone can mock my supply by giving me the stats for why
>200 thieves/killers won't enter my house in one night . . .

Well, even if they do, just get them to line up. Or better yet, get them to hide behind the 5000 gallon propane tank from the other thread and shoot the (non flammable) tank. Just be sure you're wearing your parachute when you do so.

>now someone can mock my supply by giving me the stats for why
>200 thieves/killers won't enter my house in one night . . .

Well, even if they do, just get them to line up. Or better yet, get them to hide behind the 5000 gallon propane tank from the other thread and shoot the (non flammable) tank. Just be sure you're wearing your parachute when you do so.

now that's some serious planning ahead thinking :D (I don't have time to parse that sentence)

also a bit Jack Baur in thinking, or Mythbusters, I forget which TV shows it's ok to reference and which aren't

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

John's on vacation? :)

I answered none.

We don't need any around here. ;)

Violent crime stats, 2006:

Canada: 951/100k (data courtesy of Statistics Canada)
United States: 473.5/100k (FBI UCR)

You were saying? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Canada

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=82f40c3e-97e0-4f50-8b2a-85d1d5832f37

:P

For those not in the know, the following attached photos will give an idea of how much bulk is taken up by "a thousand rounds" of ammo. An ink pen appears in all three photos for scale.

Picture of John holding up his pen attached :):P

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have about 1k rounds of .308 and 1k rounds of 7.62x39. I would have a bunch of shotgun ammo if I could find it cheaply enough, but its expensive. How hard is it to reload shotty ammo?

VERY easy!;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

What kind of #4 buck?

I like it for home defense, but only hardened pellets, and I can't seem to find a good hardened #4 buck in quantity--it's all one box at a time, which makes it more than I want to spend, because I never load any kind of defense weapon with something I haven't been able to test fire 500 or so times from it.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'm not an expert on mass ammo storage, but I suspect there's a reason that the army stores their munitions in depots, rather than spreading them out. Perhaps they are easier to secure? Or perhaps the net effect of spreading a bunch of flammables out is worse than keeping them in one tight space, where they burn only each other, rather than everything else?

The Army does spread them out using Depots, but they aren't too much larger than a shipping container, there are just a lot of them there. here is a link to the Army Depot near Umatilla, OR (happens to be where I am working at right now) Each of the rectangles in the picture is a storage container, so the "Depot" is made up of hundreds of these storage units, and not a massive warehouse.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hermiston,+or&ie=UTF8&ll=45.853823,-119.435034&spn=0.012644,0.024462&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A
Thomas Crowe, NRP
Nationally Registered Paramedic
Red Hat Linux Geek

Where's the 5000, 10000, 15000, 20000 plus levels?:o

Since I started shooting in the late 90's I haven't had LESS than 1000 rounds. Used to order 2000 a shot when it was cheaper and available. When I was getting ready to compete, very casually, I'd shoot 500 rounds of 9mm in one trip to the range. When we got done jumping we used to shoot at the DZ. Maybe 500 rounds an evening, just my weapons. With at least 13 calibers, and anywhere from 200 to 4000 rounds per caliber I have a lot. Including some I forgot about. I recently moved and then had to move the ammo from where it was to another room for some work. I move a ton (or 2 or 3) of ammo, literally. That .308 is heavy.:S I went a little nuts when I got a semi auto military 7.62.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I've got about 6K in .22LR, just from stocking up when it's on sale. 1000+ 7.62X39mm, not enough .30'06, and need to get reloading on .40 and 9mm handgun. Need some more .38/.357 reloaded too.

I picked up a nice little .380 the other day, first one I've ever owned. Damn if it wasn't $30 for a box of 50 FMJ target rounds.:S Wally World is sold out of ammo every time I drop by, from all the Obama-phobes stocking up. I'll be glad when this shortage slows down a little.