Skyrad

North Korea detonates a Nuclear bomb

How should the international community respond to this?

The world needs to economically choke them off and stop anything from going into or coming out. But what WILL happen is we will beat them up with words. Just look what New Zealand's Prime minister said "a very disappointing move". Obama said "it is a matter of grave concern" I am sure that will scare them and make them stop.................NOT.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

Problem is China will always support them, North Korea keeps a buffer between its border and 25,000 US troops and the Japaneese.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I'm actually surprised it took them this long. :|

Whatever the response, it won't be enough. China is calling the shots there, and with them holding an enormous amount of western debt, no one has the b@lls to stand up and do something.

Tangible responses are limited too, embargoes won't work because China is the life-line. Surgical military strikes will have a limited effect and will put ROK at risk.

Kim Jong-Il is on the way out, and there have been some reports about his third son, and a general being delegated powers now. Now, we have to wait and see how that changes the landscape.

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

As others have said, unfortunately we must not offend China, and are wary of them attacking the south if we attack the north, so that limits our conventional response. I say we bring them down from within, by infiltrating them with western pop-culture, make them realize what they missing, blue jeans, fast-food, fast cars, all the frivolous stuff that makes us so happy and decadent.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Considering:
- NK is on China's doorstep.
- China seems favorable to annexing territory where they are not wanted, (eg Tibet).
- China's gov't has undesirable traits, but at least they are far more logical and predictable than an unbalanced mental case.

My proposal: Get a resolution in the UN to sanction China taking over NK.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

"Pyongyang’s last nuclear weapons trial, you’ll recall, was a dud. Early indications are that this one was more powerful — maybe four kilotons, instead of the half-kiloton or so in the first try."

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/05/north-koreas-nuke-how-big/

http://www.armscontrolwonk.com/2310/north-korean-nuclear-test-mb

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Given their yields so far, maybe we should cite them for setting off fireworks without a permit.

Even the low yielders in WW2, to which some attempted to compare this one, killed over 100k each. And I imagine Toyko is even more densely populated now than it was 60 years ago.

>Size isn't anywhere nearly as important as the psycology of having them at all.

Well, in that case, pretty much every country in the world has the ability to make a dirty bomb. So nothing is really changed by their recent tests.

Again!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090525/twl-north-korea-stages-nuclear-test-41f21e0.html

I cannot understand why the world, and America in particular, is freaking out about this. The USA has enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world a hundred times over. And we are the only country that has ever used nuclear weapons in anger. It makes no sense whatsoever for us toget all worked up about NK or any other country developing these weapons.