JohnRich

Who is the bigger bigot?

News:
Beauty Pageant Bigotry

A beauty queen who told America that marriage should be between a man and a woman says God was testing her faith in the row. 'I have no regrets,' Carrie Prejean, 21, said today about the question that may have cost her the Miss USA crown and led to her being called a 'dumb bitch'...

Prejean was down to the final 15 and had to answer a single question from one of the panel of five judges. Prejean picked celebrity blogger Perez Hilton, who is openly gay and calls himself 'queen of all media'. Hilton asked her: 'Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalise same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit. Why or why not?'

Prejean paused for a moment before replying: 'Well, I think it’s great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage.' She continued: 'And you know what, in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offence to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised and that’s how I think it should be - between a man and a woman. Thank you very much.'

Hilton promptly described Prejean as a 'dumb bitch' on his blog. He went on to describe her as having 'half a brain' and said he would have stormed onto the stage and ripped off her tiara if she had won.
Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1172123/God-testing-faith-says-Miss-California-Perez-Hilton-calls-dumb-bitch-gay-marriage-row.html

So who is the bigger bigot?
Miss California, for honestly stating her religious beliefs?
Or Perez Hilton for calling her names and threatening to attack her because he disagrees with her?

Prejean isn't a bigot, she is just uninformed. It would be like a pageant winner in 1840 who said "I have no problem with negroes; if they have a problem with slavery they can just leave. I just don't like them living here."

Hilton isn't a bigot either, he's just rude and insulting.

(Edited to add - Coreece, a simile just for you)

As a bigot is anyone who is intolerant of anyone else's opinions - then they are both as bad as each other.

WOW! she is a bigot??? Why?? How?? Who did she insult? Who did she put down?? Because she does not think same sex marriage is OK? Most likely due to her religous beliefs. So she is a bigot because she has traditional christian beliefs??

Now Hilton is obviously a bigot, no tolerance for anyone elses beliefs, kinda like yourself.

Personally, I have no problem with gay marriage, marrying a donkey or anything else of the sort. I am an athiest so I dont care about god. But fair is fair, you sound much more like a bigot than Ms. Calfiornia.

BTW, I voted against Prop 8 in Cal, but the gays lost and need to STFU about it, now 2 props have passed in Cali banning same sex marriage, get over it or move to vermont
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

"Well, I think it’s great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage."

It seems to me that she is not bigoted at all. She is "pro-choice/anti-same sex marriage." This is a disapproving opinion from a tolerant person. The other fellow is an unmitigated asshole.

She got a total softball of a question and managed to kill her career with it. She's in a room where there probably aren't 5 straight guys and I would bet dollars to doughnuts she is an aspiring actress (aren't they all). I couldn't help but be reminded about the guy on Grey's Anatomy (I think that's the show) who said some inappropriate things about homosexuals and lost his job and seemingly, his career. Then she goes on TV and says she was being "biblically correct". Even worse. If she was actually being "biblically correct", she would be calling for the execution of homosexuals, as it does in the bible. While I have to respect her honesty and her faith, what an idiot.

I prefer her way of answering the question over his response to her answer. She hasn't proven herself to be a "dumb bitch" in my mind, though I don't agree with her. But he has proven himself to be a dumb ass. But who'da thunk?

~linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

She's a dumb bitch for thinking California is a separate country. How they got that much air into that small a head........
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I knew I liked you for a reason -- that's about what I was going to type.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Although I disagree with her, I admire her for sticking to and stating her beliefs rather than be politically, hollywoodically, correct. Unfortunately, her career in the limelight is likely over.

Considering that pageant contestants aspire to be in the entertainment industry.. perhaps her answers might have been a bit out of line for her intended career. I am sure she will do just fine... in another career...perhaps... preachers wife or govenor of Alaska.

She got a total softball of a question and managed to kill her career with it.

The continued, and often heated, debated over gay marriage is not softball and would take much longer than her time allowed. Especially if she got into civil unions and liberties vs the actual word or religious meaning of marriage. Perez Hilton intentionally pigeon holed her with a question that apparently only had one possible answer.

She's in a room where there probably aren't 5 straight guys and I would bet dollars to doughnuts she is an aspiring actress (aren't they all).

So, in your opinion, she should sell out her beliefs in order to fit in with the crowd. Very inspiring. I find it concerning that you, or anyone for that matter, would have more respect for someone who refused to stick by their beliefs regardless of whether you agree of not.

I couldn't help but be reminded about the guy on Grey's Anatomy (I think that's the show) who said some inappropriate things about homosexuals and lost his job and seemingly, his career.

He made repeated hateful and derrogatory remarks on the set and once or twice in public. Ms California said she simply disagreed with gay marriage.

Then she goes on TV and says she was being "biblically correct". Even worse. If she was actually being "biblically correct", she would be calling for the execution of homosexuals, as it does in the bible.

Where does it say that in the Bible and where in her answer did she say anything close to that?

While I have to respect her honesty and her faith, what an idiot.

An idiot because she didn't pander to the crowd at a beauty pageant....?? From reading the articles and watching the rediculous fallout, she was about the only one in the room who wasn't an idiot. She stuck to her beliefs and gave an honest opinion. There was no hate, calls for execution, or ignorance displayed. She just simply disagreed with a one-answer question and is being fried for her beliefs.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

An idiot because she didn't pander to the crowd at a beauty pageant....??

Without question. If you don't possess the common sense to understand the crowd your speaking to - at huge detriment to your reputation and career, you're an idiot. A proud graduate of the Steve Stiffler school of public speaking, but still an idiot.

Without question. If you don't possess the common sense to understand the crowd your speaking to - at huge detriment to your reputation and career, you're an idiot. A proud graduate of the Steve Stiffler school of public speaking, but still an idiot.

Very sad.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

Very sad.

Not really. Just how it is.

BTW, I voted against Prop 8 in Cal, but the gays lost and need to STFU about it, now 2 props have passed in Cali banning same sex marriage, get over it or move to vermont

So what you're saying is that if minorities can't get a majority of the population to grant them their rights in an election, they need to move?

Interesting...

So who is the bigger bigot?
Miss California, for honestly stating her religious beliefs?
Or Perez Hilton for calling her names and threatening to attack her because he disagrees with her?

Dumbass, as Lindsey writes, is the correct answer.

"'Well, I think it’s great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offence to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised and that’s how I think it should be - between a man and a woman. Thank you very much."

What was dumb is saying how great it is that Americans are able to choose, but then say in my country, people shouldn't have a choice. She failed very badly at the attempt to please everyone. And certainly dumb not knowing your audience.

The intelligent answer if you're one of those anti gay bigots: "I believe marriage is a union of a man and a woman. I do support civil unions for homosexuals that confers all of the legal priviledges and responsibilities of marriage."

>So, in your opinion, she should sell out her beliefs in order to fit in
>with the crowd. Very inspiring.

Not at all. She can say whatever she likes. Audiences can vote with their feet if they don't like what she has to say.

>>Even worse. If she was actually being "biblically correct", she would be
>>calling for the execution of homosexuals, as it does in the bible.

>Where does it say that in the Bible . . .

==========
Leviticus 20:13

If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.
==========

Why do they even ask a question like that of the contestants?
Who the hell is Perez Hilton and why does his opinion matter?
Isn't honesty a BIG part of life?????
It's a beauty pagent for crying out loud!!!!
The entire incident is fucking absurd.

Why do they even ask a question like that of the contestants?
Who the hell is Perez Hilton and why does his opinion matter?
Isn't honesty a BIG part of life?????
It's a beauty pagent for crying out loud!!!!
The entire incident is fucking absurd.

I sense great irony in your post.