jtval

anyone ever get converted in SC?

So this may be my 12th post in SC.
As an newb I have a question.

Does anyone ever learn something from these discussions to the point that they can:

1- Agree with the other side (I.E. left/right)
2- start thinking the other way?

Did anyone ever come here as a dem and leave as a republican etc?

I suspect all these threads are the same arguement with the same people but they just use different scenarios to argue.
My photos

My Videos

Does anyone ever learn something from these discussions to the point that they can:

1- Agree with the other side

I've appreciated more fully others' arguments.
I've appreciated more fully a wider perspective.
I've observed the thought processes that underly some opinions ... & sometimes I'm still trying to figure it out ... correlation/causality/theory/hypothesis ... not the same things ... :D
I've learned about underlying arguments that make me respect more the stance of the proponents or adherants.
I've had some great conversations in PMs and emails that have changed my perspectives and opinions.

So yes, in multiple situations to varying degrees, I've done (1) & (2).

And I still (as I posted before) think the most effective anti-gun regulation argument was in a video posted by [Rookie120] a while back.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

In the DB Cooper thread in S H&T, there is a regular poster who is quite determined about her point of view. Anything that contradicts this point of view is taken as an attack. Some posts have suggested the poster is delusional. This is one of the responses to one of the definitions of "delusional"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An attempt to contradict the belief is likely to arouse an inappropriately strong emotional reaction, often with irritability and hostility.

Should you really be discussing Speakers' Corner posters in this forum?

I doubt any seriously held beliefs are ever changed because of a post here, but I enjoy a reasonable debate, and am willing to listen to and discuss opposing viewpoints. And my reasoning is never perfect, and the opposing views are very good at pointing out my logic flaws.
Something along the lines of "Agreeing to disagree". I think most of the more fanatical posters don't expect to convert the opposite side over, but hope to bring the fence sitters to their side.

But I'm sure someone will argue that point with me:)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Reasonable is the key word in your post.;)

How long does that really last in most threads?

There's too much noise for me to read most of these threads. By noise I mean irrational thought, name calling, finger pointing etc.

My photos

My Videos

Reasonable is the key word in your post.;)

How long does that really last in most threads?

There's too much noise for me to read most of these threads. By noise I mean irrational thought, name calling, finger pointing etc.

Not long enough, although we do have mods.
And agreed, signal/noise ratio drives me out fairly quickly.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

No, but its opened my eyes to why others feel the way they do and sometimes made me think about arguments I hadn't considered. its also made me realise just how little some people know about things I thought were general knowledge.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I have, through philosophical discussion, learned a lot about who I am and who I "think" I am. I have learned that I'm not always right. And I have learned that I get defensive about those issues that I do feel that I am "right" about. (For example, I strongly believe that everyone should be nice!)

I am very willing to learn about other cultures, beliefs, and attempt an understanding of varied views. I have, at times, learned and changed my thoughts after discussions... but that would be discussions with those that show respect and help with growth and education.

As you said... the lines get drawn here and no one will compromise. Black and White. Good and Evil. Republican and Democrat. In reality... the world is not so polarized. People just need to think outside of his/her box to try to look at the other perspective. But it's hard when all you see is an attack against YOU. So you lash back again. And the battle ensues.

So... converted in SC? not converted, but some level of reflection. My post in the thread on vegetarianism kinda states my opinion

I don't post in here often either, but read a bit more frequently (learning to bypass the "noise" ... LOL!)

I think that the nature of the forum somewhat dictates that posters are predominantly folks with pretty strong opinions and thus less likely to be swayed. What would be interesting to me is the same question posed to those who only lurk! Perhaps some who don't hold such strong opinions are more likely to be swayed one way or the other?
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

You can get some serious mileage out of a free pair of shoes. Now, if the other side was willing to offer up some free ammo, we would have a real contest.

Seriously though, I believe that I'm of an age that it would probably a lost cause for a group to try to convert me to either the far left or the far right.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I have not only changed my mind. I have also learned so many things that i did not know before. I would say SC has made me a more informed person.

You your self made a post once that made me realize i had overreacted in BF.

I think what matters is who is reading. If you don't believe in absolutes you always have the opportunity to learn.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I have not only changed my mind. I have also learned so many things that i did not know before. I would say SC has made me a more informed person.

You your self made a post once that made me realize i had overreacted in BF.

Really?:D
I didnt think any of my posts would cause any one to reflect on their thoughts.

Did it have anything to do with midgets or boobies?
I think that about covers my 20,000posts in Bonfire.
My photos

My Videos

It had to do with a picture about a Muslim family that all the woman were in chadorz(the full black cover). I was taking it personally and over reacting to a joke. It was because there had been a series of posts about muslims that were narrow and negative that were posted again and again over a long period, but i still needed to be reminded to chill out.

i'll see if i can find it.

And yes every thing you do and say does matter, and the world would be a better place if people acted accordingly
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Sure - I have become much more liberal since being here, thanks to reading the stuff the conservatives post.;)

I find that very strongly disagreeing with people and poking them with a metaphorical stick on SC doesn't mean I wouldn't buy them a beer or jump with them - just the opposite in fact. Mark S. and I jump together a lot yet we have polar opposite opinions on most things.

And I learned a lot of things too, mostly about guns.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It had to do with a picture about a Muslim family that all the woman were in chadorz(the full black cover). I was taking it personally and over reacting to a joke. It was because there had been a series of posts about muslims that were narrow and negative that were posted again and again over a long period, but i still needed to be reminded to chill out.

i'll see if i can find it.

And yes every thing you do and say does matter, and the world would be a better place if people acted accordingly

Oh, I remeber that. I dont remember what the conversation was but I remember the fuss.
My photos

My Videos

1- Agree with the other side (I.E. left/right)

I learn a lot. Where else can you interact with people with so many different view points.

anyone ever get converted in SC?

I'd suspect that many people may not admit it outright, but rather let it show up in their post as evidence of their agreement. Sometimes people can't even recognize they're in agreement until they see it in writting...sort of like finally realizing the absurdity of a thought once you speak it aloud...:D
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...