lewmonst

WHO DID YOU VOTE FOR?

I could neither vote for McCain nor Obama. I have too many issues with both of them (ironically, I have few issue swith Palin or with Biden).

McKinney is just KOOKY!!!

Keyes is just as KOOKY but in a whole different way.

Psst. Nader's running mate is Matt Gonzalez. But Nader is pinko.

That leaves me voting for a guy I personally don't like but the party that best represents my beliefs. I voted Libertarian.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

> I voted Libertarian.

I did last year. But there is no way I'd vote for Barr.

What he said. I'd have voted Libertarian if they'd put up a decent candidate. Since they didn't, I voted for Obama.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Doesn't the Libertarian party have zero Electoral votes though?
So the vote for anything other that Rep/Dem is just throwing a vote away?

Not if losing your vote costs that party. Just ask the Florida Democrats if those votes for Nader were wasted votes.

The two primary parties have to earn your vote and if they take you for granted, you can easily justify voting for a third party that will advocate your views.

If everyone takes your view, then both parties take a political stance dead center on the 1 dimensional political spectrum, with the GOP just a micron to the right of the Democrats. When people further to the left and right withhold their votes, and cause their side to lose, the parties move away from the center.

No, it's not like voting for Republican and Democratic presidential candidates where your vote doesn't count unless you live in a contested state (think about it - voting with the minority doesn't help your candidate win, and voting with the majority doesn't change them being president).

Your vote for "neither" may help determine which political minority the big two parties court in subsequent elections.

Things have been "greener" since Ralph's supporters didn't vote Democratic.

If everyone takes your view, then both parties take a political stance dead center on the 1 dimensional political spectrum, with the GOP just a micron to the right of the Democrats.

Would that be the Democratic party which kicked people off well-fare and balanced the budget according to accepted acounting practices and the Republican party which made the tax system more progressive and was responsible for the largest non-defense discretionary spending increases in history?

One can also argue that the Democrats are a hair right from the Republicans.

Things have been "greener" since Ralph's supporters didn't vote Democratic.

have they, because of Nader, or just because of trends that were already there? I don't see his influence. Neither does he, given he's running again.

As much as I'd like to think otherwise, I think the Democratic Party will sell out every left leaning platform in order to win.

I'm not sure I understand your questions. electoral votes cast in good faith should go for the candidate who won the state. If Bob Barr won Idaho, he should get 3 electoral votes out of it.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I voted for America.

Like that … like that a lot … gonna steal that one … with permission, of course. :)
Wearing an my American flag lapel pin next to the “I’m a Georgia Voter” peach sticker. Gave a talk earlier today, a couple folks were curious about the pin… wish I’d thought of your answer. More concise than the one I gave. :D

Voted last week. I like the ritual and the exercise of voting. Would have preferred to have not had the wait: 4h20min in downtown Atlanta. Read most of a book. This was the first time I’ve voted in an election in Georgia (was out of town for the primary), and it was the first time I’ve had to wait more than 45 minutes for any election.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

> I voted Libertarian.

I did last year. But there is no way I'd vote for Barr.

THIS, THIS .. a thousand times this. The Libertarian party really stepped on their dick this election season. A reasonable (dare I say normal) small government, lower taxes, more freedom candidate could have made quite a splash this year, IMHO. Any die-hard Libertarian party support should be ashamed of their party this year for the squandered opportunity.

Full disclosure, I'm a "small l" libertarian, not a big-L Libertarian.
It wouldn't hurt you to think like a fucking serial killer every once in a while - just for the sake of prevention

does your voting system work on preferences of candidates?

so that an independent has a leaning to one of the 2 major parties?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The Electoral College consists of 538 popularly elected representatives who formally select the President and Vice President of the United States.
Each state has a number of electors equal to the number of its Senators and Representatives in the United States Congress. Additionally, Washington, D.C. is given a number of electors equal to the number held by the "least populous" state. U.S. territories are not represented in the Electoral College.

Each elector casts one vote for President and one vote for Vice President. In order to be elected, a candidate must have a majority (at least 270) of the electoral votes cast for that office. Should no candidate for President win a majority of the electoral votes, the choice is referred to the House of Representatives. Should no candidate for Vice President possess a majority of the electoral votes, the choice is given to the Senate.
The constitutional theory behind the indirect election of both the President and Vice President of the United States is that while the Congress is popularly elected by the people, the President and Vice President are elected to be executives of a federation of independent states.

It's an "indirect" election.
Popular vote doesn't always work for us.
Ask Al Gore.
;)

If Bob Barr won Idaho, he should get 3 electoral votes out of it.

Blues,
Dave

why only 3? you trying to disenfranchise the voters of idaho.;)

My bad...I thought Idaho only had 3, not 4. The parts I visit most frequently are less densely populated than Montana. :D

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)