AMax

Palin vs Biden debate aftermath

i know biden agreed. that wasn't what i meant...i just feel that marriage is a "right" and she does not support that particular right, yet she supports equal rights. clearly gay people aren't equal if denied that right. that's all.

and i know that people do talk that way. i live in texas. i just don't buy it from her. who exactly does "joe six pack" refer to? sounds a bit derogatory to me. but that's just me.
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

I think they both did better than what people expected. Clearly Biden was more polished and seasoned as someone with 35 years in the senate should be. I think Biden won the debate overall but they both won in what they set out to do. Right or wrong I think McCain/Palin gained more from this debate because of the lower expectations of Palin. In the end I think the result of this debate is that it will keep the race competitive and not a run away.

I agree that she won in the slim context that she was supposed to be a trainwreck and she wasn't. She was bad in that she kept dodging questions, but not horrible as expected. But the early polls show he won. I think in the end it won't change the general poll a bit.

i know biden agreed. that wasn't what i meant...i just feel that marriage is a "right" and she does not support that particular right, yet she supports equal rights. clearly gay people aren't equal if denied that right. that's all.

I can see that argument, although I disagree. My point is that you use your view to oppose Palin while Biden said the same thing.

who exactly does "joe six pack" refer to? sounds a bit derogatory to me. but that's just me

It sure as shit isn't me. Joe Normal. Joe 10-pounds-overweight. Joe Drinks-too-much. Those are better.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

I gotta agree with Mike here, and that's not gonna happen that often regarding this election. The baby will be no worse for wear, they just konk out anywhere if they need to. I cannot see why a sibling shouldn't be holding it. A non-issue.

I didn't see any baby, since I listened to the debate on the web. I found it interesting 4 years ago to first listen (streaming or radio), without seeing all the expressions, camera shots, crowds, etc. That way I could really listen to what was being said with minimal distractions for my initial impressions and analysis. Later that night, I could see the re-broadcast on TV.

what i opposed is that she said she does not support gay marriage which,as far as i'm concerned, is a right, but then spoke quite loudly about her belief in equal rights. had biden made that comment, believe me i'd have commented on him, too.

i am not a decided voter. i've never voted republican but that doesn't mean i won't. granted, if anything were going to keep me from voting mccain, it would be palin. i just fundamentally disagree with her on too many issues.
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

I gotta agree with Mike here, and that's not gonna happen that often regarding this election. The baby will be no worse for wear, they just konk out anywhere if they need to. I cannot see why a sibling shouldn't be holding it. A non-issue.

I didn't see any baby, since I listened to the debate on the web. I found it interesting 4 years ago to first listen (streaming or radio), without seeing all the expressions, camera shots, crowds, etc. That way I could really listen to what was being said with minimal distractions for my initial impressions and analysis. Later that night, I could see the re-broadcast on TV.

Mannerisms speak volumes. You should of watched it as well as listened. I equate her w/ Edith Bunker.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I said in another thread the biggest problem I had with the format was Gwen was scared shitless about appearing biased. I could have moderated that "debate".

Yeah - not once did she really insinuate herself to press Palin to answer the goddam question, as a skillful moderator shoudl. Although frankly Biden could have pressed her harder on that, too, but he also didn't do so.

what was the deal??? with the very very start of the evening, when the Candidates first walked on stage, and shook hands????:|

She said, very loudly and clearly, "is it OK if i call you JOE"??? Huh???:S[:/]
The guy is a Senator for decades,,,, a job which requires constant RE-Election..... and which deserves a certain amount of Respect....like him or not...
and

Palin wants to call him JOE!???. as if he's the local butcher, or Mailman??:S:o
THAT line sounded,, awfully Coached....
and inserted as a quick jab. to start her off on a positive...literally putting Him in an awkward
spot....

i so would have enjoyed it,, if Biden had responded... "NO... please call me Senator"...
since he's earned that title...

i know I know.. i'm being petty.. but that question of hers,, sounded Sooooo NON spontaneous,,, and planned.... and I didn't care for the "casual" atmosphere it was trying to create.... This is serious business,, not a picnic at the park....
i didn't much care for her "folksiness"...
and If she's gonna say NUKE-U-Lar.....That alone,,
makes my skin crawl.........[:/]>:(>:(
ImHO

jmy

i would have liked to see her respond to biden's constant mention of mccain's voting record. i think it made her look worse by not addressing it at all, but then, what could she really say?

I think alot of people saw it that way, but then they weren't noticing that Biden got alot of that wrong (fact-check). He lost the fact-check-o-meter, though Palin made some mistakes as well.

Two things that come to me on this topic. 5+ term senator convincingly mis-stating the facts is very "Inside the Beltway". And, Rookie Governor that is getting better very fast (like Obama did when he started running 19 months ago).

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

hmmmmm

well Biden IS a contemporary and colleague to Senator McCain, and sure THEY could have been on "first name basis" years ago...

But this was different...
She really isn't a colleague, hell according to what He said.. they only JUST met...

again, it just seemed a little too "chummy" to me... AND too choreographed....>:(

that's all.

jimmy

what was the deal??? with the very very start of the evening, when the Candidates first walked on stage, and shook hands????:|

She said, very loudly and clearly, "is it OK if i call you JOE"??? Huh???:S[:/]
The guy is a Senator for decades,,,, a job which requires constant RE-Election..... and which deserves a certain amount of Respect....like him or not...
and

Palin wants to call him JOE!???. as if he's the local butcher, or Mailman??:S:o

jmy

It was obvious to me that by her asking if she could call him Joe was so she could use her funny line "Say it ain't so, Joe" and refer to Joe 6 pack later. Once he said "sure" then all she had to do is find a place to plug in the phrases.

being the best of friends with someone in those positions should not over-ride the proper way to address someone in a public forum such as a debate.
IMO anyway...bugged me when Obama did it, when Palin did it, and when Joe did it. :P
You don't address a Commander with his first name, you don't do it to those in political office.
It's proper decorum.

What I found interesting (funny?) was the results of some of the networks questions as to who won the debate last night. On screen last night FoxNews had Palin winning the debate at 88%. MSNBC was lopsided for Biden at about the same numbers.

Here are the final numbers from some of the larger firms, I'm not sure what caused the results to change for Fox.
CNN/Opinion Research Biden 51 Palin 36
CBS Biden 46 Palin 21
Fox Biden 61 Palin 39
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It's very challenging to get any decent information from the mass media here.
I'm sure they're not biased in the least.
I'm thinking polls are worthless - maybe people feed into them with wrong answers on purpose?

"Who are you voting for?"
"Superman!" = "undecided"

You're right - success for Palin was that she didn't disintegrate on camera.

That has become the key to politics in America.
Set the standard so low that when you occasionally do not fuck up it seems like a miracle, and everyone wants to celebrate.
:S
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

What I found interesting (funny?) was the results of some of the networks questions as to who won the debate last night. On screen last night FoxNews had Palin winning the debate at 88%. MSNBC was lopsided for Biden at about the same numbers.

That poll on fox was based on text messages from viewers. Obviously the fox fan base is heavily republican. I don't know what MSNBC's was based on, since I was watching Fox ;) and CNN. I can't fucking stand MSNBC.

Stay positive and love your life.

You're right - success for Palin was that she didn't disintegrate on camera.

That has become the key to politics in America.
Set the standard so low that when you occasionally do not fuck up it seems like a miracle, and everyone wants to celebrate.
:S

This is what bugs me. The fact is that there are smart candidates out there. But what so many people want is someone who isn't too smart. Because that would make them an "elitist." People are so overly obsessed with the candidate being folksy & someone you'd want to have a beer with, that what you sometimes get are candidates who are just at the bare minimum intelligence level for the job.

In order to get elected, you have to cater to anti-intellectualism.
Speed Racer