freeflybella

Any chance Palin will hold her own during the debate?

So how long until someone proves my calculations wrong?

I mean hell, it can't be that hard to prove someone wrong when you consider them a functional retard.

Oh wait, that's right, you guys made an ASSumption.

I didn't call your calculation wrong nor did I call you a functional retard.

I was having a bit of fun with the concept of the horizon and calculating it. I pointed out a couple of factors that hadn't been taken into consideration.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Douglas, you may be right, but then again she may be overly underestimated, and therefore a brilliant tactician.

Her own words, even just in the softball interviews she has granted with Gibson and Couric, say otherwise.
quade -

Douglas, you may be right, but then again she may be overly underestimated, and therefore a brilliant tactician.

Her own words, even just in the softball interviews she has granted with Gibson and Couric, say otherwise.

Softball interviews? Bullcrap.

Compare Gibson's questions to her vs. his questions to Obama.

Compare Couric's questions to her vs. her statement about Biden being "concerned with the country" after his "FDR got on TV" gaffe.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Softball interviews? Bullcrap.

You owe me a cup of coffee.

Gibson and Couric are entirely softball. Both are among the least confrontational interviewers in the entirety of the media. Why do you think she agreed to be interviewed by them opposed to virtually anyone else in the entire media spectrum?

You're WAY off base if you think they were throwing her tough questions. There wasn't a curve ball in the entirety of either interview. They were all slow-pitch and right over the plate. All Palin did time after time was swing and miss.

Please, go back to the interviews and show me a single instance where either Gibson or Couric maneuvered Palin into saying anything stupid. She did it all by herself.
quade -

No coffee smiley, sorry - you'll have to settle for a :D.

Go search my posts comparing Gibson's interviews - if you think both candidates were treated equally, then there's probably nothing more to discuss about it, because there's nothing else I can say that would sway you.

Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Go search my posts comparing Gibson's interviews - if you think both candidates were treated equally, then there's probably nothing more to discuss about it, because there's nothing else I can say that would sway you.

What do you want to do, have them ask the exact same questions to two different people that have two completely different backgrounds? That doesn't do anything to illuminate anyone about the individual. Sure, it's what happens in a debate, but that's not what an interview is.

I really don't think you understand how reporters, any reporters, do their jobs.
quade -

What do you want to do, have them ask the exact same questions to two different people that have two completely different backgrounds? That doesn't do anything to illuminate anyone about the individual. Sure, it's what happens in a debate, but that's not what an interview is.

I really don't think you understand how reporters, any reporters, do their jobs.

Ok - so you obviously didn't look at the comparison of the interviews - 'nuff said.

Have a good day.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Douglas, you may be right, but then again she may be
>overly underestimated, and therefore a brilliant tactician.

Occam's Razor applies here.

She is not dumb by any stretch of the imagination. She is also not a brilliant tactician who is secretly adopting a less-than-stellar persona, only to spring it on an undoubtedly awed public days before the election when it is revealed that McCain has only six months to live.

The most likely explanation is the obvious one, and the one she herself has given several times. She is a driven hockey mom who has had great success in Alaskan government, but is also someone who doesn't know much about the vice presidency. It doesn't mean she's dumb, but it does mean she has some catching up to do - as her interviews have demonstrated.

In short I'm curious as to how much you know about the two candidates and how your country is portraying them in the media, and if that's where you're gathering your opinions. McCain and Bush have never been friends either and have fought on many of the issues you hate him for.

Do you guys even have a news channel over there that shows the other side of the story. I don't remember one from when I was there, but that explains a lot if all you ever here is bad bad McCain/Palin and glorious Obama.

A! news channel??? Jesus, where are you living? How is your flow of information??

Like I said in another thread, I even do receive AlQuaida in best quality, I do enjoy Larry King regularly ... in fact, with 3 antenna dishes on my house I do receive more than 480 channels in a lot of languages.

When have you been in Germany? Must have been before the Berlin Wall has been built.

It's unbelievable: Some of you guys really do think we are living in a desert, with no contact to the rest of the world. We Europeans are THE voyagers of the world.

Your media and ours are portraying your candidates in same way, I watch the inverwiews and news daily. In several languages.

BTW: Pls re-read my post, I did not say McCain is an idiot.

Regarding the "rockstar" thing (Obama): That's nonsense. Not one of our politicians is looking like one, we never voted for anyone b/c of that. :P

Isn't it much more an American thingy? ;) Reagan, Schwarzenegger ......:)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

>Do you guys even have a news channel over there that shows the other side of the story.

In general, I've found European news about the US far less biased, and far more applicable, than US sources. Less financial incentive to support either side and less Britney Spears. The BBC, for example, is a good source.

I think she will do well. Her opponents underestimate her.

She will be very predictable. She will know a little more than teh Couric interview, but not much, you can't cram that much in that little time. She will appear folksy and smile a lot, but have no substance. If the moderator is able to get dialogue between her and Biden it could be disasterous for her. This will be less devastating for her/Republican Party than the few interviews she's done becuase the questions are less directed and the follow-ups less focused; in general, the interviewee has a better chance to duck the follow-ups.

>Why not a hunter-gather/governor from Alaska?

Palin is a "hunter-gatherer?" You realize you just called her prehistoric, right?

Would explain some of the Neanderthals that support her. ;)
quade -

If the moderator is able to get dialogue between her and Biden it could be disasterous for her.

Actually, it will be the moderator's job to try to NOT get them to have a dialog, but rather just answer the questions. It's a debate, not a dialog.

This will be less devastating for her/Republican Party than the few interviews she's done becuase the questions are less directed and the follow-ups less focused; in general, the interviewee has a better chance to duck the follow-ups.

And this is always true in the modern day political debate.

Generally speaking, both sides will attempt to take whatever question posed to them and reframe it toward one of their scripted talking point answers.

The keys to "winning" is matching up the rehearsed answers with the questions.

Biden has to not lose his cool and just stay focused on topic. He has to acknowledge her presence on stage, but not make a big deal of it. He knows the subject matter well so for him, the issue is not looking like he's being an ass towards her.

Palin has to actually answer some questions. If she tries to pull the the evasion tricks and just look "cute" like she did with Couric, Gibson and even Hannity, she's doomed.
quade -

>Actually, it will be the moderator's job to try to NOT get them to have a dialog, but
>rather just answer the questions. It's a debate, not a dialog.

?? Answering questions is an interview. Having a dialog with someone else is what makes it a debate.

One of the things I was impressed with during Lehrer's debate was that he kept saying things like "please say that to Senator Obama" to try to get them more engaged in each other, as opposed to delivering the prewritten campaign speeches we've all heard dozens of times.

>Actually, it will be the moderator's job to try to NOT get them to have a dialog, but
>rather just answer the questions. It's a debate, not a dialog.

?? Answering questions is an interview. Having a dialog with someone else is what makes it a debate.

One of the things I was impressed with during Lehrer's debate was that he kept saying things like "please say that to Senator Obama" to try to get them more engaged in each other, as opposed to delivering the prewritten campaign speeches we've all heard dozens of times.

An on-stage verbal banter, a back and forth argument between two people, is NOT a debate.

Point, Counter-point and rebuttals are debates.

"Please say that to Senator Obama" is NOT a debate. In a debate you're not trying to convince the opponent, you're trying to convince the judges, or in this case the American public.
quade -

I think she will do well. Her opponents underestimate her.

She will be very predictable. She will know a little more than teh Couric interview, but not much, you can't cram that much in that little time. She will appear folksy and smile a lot, but have no substance. If the moderator is able to get dialogue between her and Biden it could be disasterous for her. This will be less devastating for her/Republican Party than the few interviews she's done becuase the questions are less directed and the follow-ups less focused; in general, the interviewee has a better chance to duck the follow-ups.

Thanks to our National Holiday tomorrow, I'll be enjoying a free day to watch the VP debate on CNN live.

@ braz933:

Her opponents underestimate her :o

Means, there will be a giant break-through of Palin? Like this one:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=_l5weErjs3I

:ph34r:

dudeist skydiver # 3105

>Point, Counter-point and rebuttals are debates.

It's part of one type of debate.

Debates are formalized discussions between two people, each supporting his own position. I don't want to hear a Biden campaign speech, a Palin campaign speech, the standard Biden rebuttal and the standard Palin rebuttal. Those have been worked over by dozens of speechwriters for weeks now, and the candidates have memorized them.

I don't want to hear speechwriters. I want to hear what the candidates themselves think. When Biden waxes poetic about the bailout, I want Palin to ask him "so how are we going to pay for it?" When Palin talks about her foreign policy experience, I want to hear Biden ask her "so what would you do, specifically, about the threat Russia poses?"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Actually, it will be the moderator's job to try to NOT get them to have a dialog, but rather just answer the questions. It's a debate, not a dialog.

Well, the mod in the Obama/McCain debate had them communicating with each other, so that's what I'm referring to. If Biden converses and counters with Palin, it will advantage Biden.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Generally speaking, both sides will attempt to take whatever question posed to them and reframe it toward one of their scripted talking point answers.

Exactly and that's why interviews are always so much better than these general questions that get reframed to the liking of the answerer.

>>>>>>>>>>>..Biden has to not lose his cool and just stay focused on topic. He has to acknowledge her presence on stage, but not make a big deal of it. He knows the subject matter well so for him, the issue is not looking like he's being an ass towards her.

Palin has to actually answer some questions. If she tries to pull the the evasion tricks and just look "cute" like she did with Couric, Gibson and even Hannity, she's doomed.

Totally agree. He can't be the bully, or people will embrace her ignorant cuteness. She has to be substantive and bring something to the event.