ChasingBlueSky

Would you wear a stun bracelet on commercial flights?

I find this concept wholly disturbing on so many levels and I already know what some of the trolls are going to say to this. Despite that knowledge, I'm brining this up here.

I'm of the mindset that allowing this to happen would open the floodgates to it's usage elsewhere in this country.

I'm certain that I would change all travel plans to never fly commercially again if this went in.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/aviation-security/2008/Jul/01/want-some-torture-with-your-peanuts/

A senior government official with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has expressed great interest in a so-called safety bracelet that would serve as a stun device, similar to that of a police Taser®. According to this promotional video found at the Lamperd Less Lethal website, the bracelet would be worn by all airline passengers.

This bracelet would:

• take the place of an airline boarding pass

• contain personal information about the traveler

• be able to monitor the whereabouts of each passenger and his/her luggage

• shock the wearer on command, completely immobilizing him/her for several minutes

Ah, the Washington Times. Hardly a better place exists to get your daily, government recommended, dosage of paranoia.

This has exactly a 1:never possibility of ever happening.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ah, the Washington Times. Hardly a better place exists to get your daily, government recommended, dosage of paranoia.

Good cause those damn house arrest jewlery things are bad enough:| .... just saying they seem that they would be a pain :D:D
(I.C.D#2 VP)
""I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama

Agreed....but if it did, I call dibs on the class action that arises when a whole plane-load of them gets accidentally triggered!

Good cause those damn house arrest jewlery things are bad enough:| .... just saying they seem that they would be a pain :D:D

I wonder if this thing would have any resemblance to the Cheers episode where the mailman tried one for therapy. Funny as hell! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I wonder if this thing would have any resemblance to the Cheers episode where the mailman tried one for therapy. Funny as hell! :D

;):D:D I loved cheers!!
(I.C.D#2 VP)
""I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama

And when you're 40, the Red spot on your hand blinks and you have to present yourself to a Homeland security re-education centre:(

"Carousel is a lie"

"Sanctuary"

:D:D:D

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Seriously, I'm curious how the author of the Washington Times got story past due diligence/by editors.

Linked w/in the article is a scan of a letter (2nd page) asking the potential vendor to submit a pre-proposal. The 2006 letter from a DHS Program Manager is about temporary detention of illegal immigrants for use in border security and use with detainees.

The article's author writes: "Why are tax dollars being spent on something like this? Is this a police state or is it America?" From what's contained w/in the article including links, there's no evidence that US tax dollars are being spent on it. Based on the company's online press releases, Canadian & South African tax dollars are being spent on the company's other products. And there's no mention of any kind of contracts with DHS or TSA. (Determined via 20-30 seconds of web browsing ...)

That said, the Sarnia, Ontario company's EMD bracelet marketing video is creepy, im-ever-ho.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Seriously, I'm curious how the author of the Washington Times got story past due diligence/by editors.

How much do you know about the Washington Times?!?

Just do quick Google of them and you'll be flippin' out.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I find this concept wholly disturbing on so many levels and I already know what some of the trolls are going to say to this. Despite that knowledge, I'm brining this up here.

I'm of the mindset that allowing this to happen would open the floodgates to it's usage elsewhere in this country.

I'm certain that I would change all travel plans to never fly commercially again if this went in.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/aviation-security/2008/Jul/01/want-some-torture-with-your-peanuts/

A senior government official with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has expressed great interest in a so-called safety bracelet that would serve as a stun device, similar to that of a police Taser®. According to this promotional video found at the Lamperd Less Lethal website, the bracelet would be worn by all airline passengers.

This bracelet would:

• take the place of an airline boarding pass

• contain personal information about the traveler

• be able to monitor the whereabouts of each passenger and his/her luggage

• shock the wearer on command, completely immobilizing him/her for several minutes

Na. I'm more of this type of guy.B|;)>Angry flier uses emergency slide to exit Delta jet
GEORGETOWN, Guyana (AP) — Guyanese authorities say a first-class airline passenger was so angry at seeing economy passengers leave a jetliner before him that he yanked open an emergency hatch and slid down the chute.
Police spokesman Sealall Persaud says the Guyanese man identified as Satyanand Christopher appeared to be intoxicated after the Delta Air Lines flight from New York.

Persaud said Sunday that local police arrested Christoper, who was quickly released on bail after the Friday incident.

Delta spokesman Junior Horatio says the U.S. carrier plans to file charges against the man for interfering with flight crewmembers.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I wonder what a piece of aluminum foil or a grounding strap would do to the shock function.

Could 5 terrorists line up in serial to kill an onboard air marshal?
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I propose a cheaper solution of replacing all airplane carpeting with thick, shag carpet. If a terrorist pops up, everyone run down the isle, dragging your feet, then zap them on the nose with the static buildup. After the first five people, it stops being funny, and starts to sting, but heck, there are like 300 people on jets these day - I'm sure after enough shocks, they'll go into cardiac arrest.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I like it. Wear the thing-wait for the inevitable malfunction or inadvertant activation-prefare to retire on the settlement

Yeah! I like the thing too! You know, I've seen a lot of maturity on the part of Airport Security in the last year, I don't think a single one of them would look for an excuse to use it. It's not like it's a power that can be abused.

Anyways, about it misfiring, dont' worry about it. Only what, 10% of the population is Elderly or have heart conditions in the first place, so you have a 90% chance of a person just getting mildly annoyed if it went off. :|
=========Shaun ==========

I like it. Wear the thing-wait for the inevitable malfunction or inadvertant activation-prefare to retire on the settlement

Unless the government legislation requiring the bracelets includes a provision that prohibits such suits so they stand a chance at getting a company to produce the bracelets with an acceptable price tag.

Agreed....but if it did, I call dibs on the class action that arises when a whole plane-load of them gets accidentally triggered!

that would be so funny as long as it was not me!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"