outrager

Most unpopular president in modern American history

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/01/bush.poll/index.html

WASHINGTON DC (CNN) -- A new poll suggests that President Bush is the most unpopular president in modern American history.
art.bush2.ap.jpg

A CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll shows 71 percent disapprove of President Bush's job performance.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey released Thursday indicates that 71 percent of the American public disapprove of how Bush is handling his job as president.

"No president has ever had a higher disapproval rating in any CNN or Gallup Poll; in fact, this is the first time that any president's disapproval rating has cracked the 70 percent mark," said Keating Holland, CNN's polling director.

"Bush's approval rating, which stands at 28 percent in our new poll, remains better than the all-time lows set by Harry Truman and Richard Nixon [22 percent and 24 percent, respectively], but even those two presidents never got a disapproval rating in the 70s," Holland said. "The previous all-time record in CNN or Gallup polling was set by Truman, 67 percent disapproval in January 1952."

While Gallup polling goes back to the 1930s, it wasn't until the Truman years that they began surveying monthly approval ratings.

CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider adds, "He is more unpopular than Richard Nixon was just before he resigned from the presidency in August 1974."

President Nixon's disapproval rating in August 1974 stood at 66 percent
Don't Miss

* Bush pushes 3 nations on nuclear issue

The poll also indicates that support for the war in Iraq has never been lower. Thirty percent of those questioned favored the war, while 68 percent opposed it.

"Americans are growing more pessimistic about the war," Holland said. "In January, nearly half believed that things were going well for the U.S. in Iraq; now that figure has dropped to 39 percent."

The numbers on the Iraq war come on the five-year anniversary of Bush's "Mission Accomplished" moment on board the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, when he proclaimed that "major combat operations in Iraq have ended."

The record-low support for the war in a CNN poll could be one reason behind the president's unpopularity, but it probably is not the only one.

"Support for the war, the assessment of the economy and approval of Mr. Bush are all about the same -- bad," Schneider said.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll was conducted by telephone from Monday through Wednesday among 1,008 adult Americans.

The poll's sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

One poll, by CNN. Other polls in the same time period show disapproval ratings in the 60's as they have been for the last few years, but slowly trending higher.

Congress shows the same trends of lower approval and higher disapproval...but oddly enough, that doesn't seem to be mentioned in the article. A tiny oversight, I'm sure.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Let's see, an administration that has never played to any poll (unlike the previous admin)...and a poll shows disapproval...

...hmmm....

...nope, can't find anyone that cares...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I am one fo those who disapproves of the present POTUS.

I am also one who knows that he's not running for POTUS now. He was popular enough in 2004 when popularity counted. Popularity of the president right now means two things - jack and shit.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

So, if one would like to put this in the perspective of how government is looked at in total. Congress has the lowest ratings of all time. (and it is not even close) How does that fit?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Let's see, an administration that has never played to any poll (unlike the previous admin)...and a poll shows disapproval...

"Mission Accomplished" wasn't playing to polls? (although it made a great joke in Arrested Development)

There are no rose tints strong enough to give us the same view you have of the past 7 years. Bush's Administration has been highly active and successful at working its propaganda. And his current lack of popularity is for damn good reasons.

As for Congress, they rarely have an approval rating over 30 or 40. But the average rating for each person's individual Representative or Senators is much higher.

I am one fo those who disapproves of the present POTUS.

I am also one who knows that he's not running for POTUS now. He was popular enough in 2004 when popularity counted. Popularity of the president right now means two things - jack and shit.

I don't know about that. It may not make any difference because this administration has a tendency to do what it wants to do regardless of law, opinion or good advice. But I'd like to hope that a high disapproval rating might......just might keep them from doing something massively stupid on the way out of the door.
I can dream can't I?

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/01/bush.poll/index.html

WASHINGTON DC (CNN) -- A new poll suggests that President Bush is the most unpopular president in modern American history.
art.bush2.ap.jpg

A CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll shows 71 percent disapprove of President Bush's job performance.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey released Thursday indicates that 71 percent of the American public disapprove of how Bush is handling his job as president.

"No president has ever had a higher disapproval rating in any CNN or Gallup Poll; in fact, this is the first time that any president's disapproval rating has cracked the 70 percent mark," said Keating Holland, CNN's polling director.

"Bush's approval rating, which stands at 28 percent in our new poll, remains better than the all-time lows set by Harry Truman and Richard Nixon [22 percent and 24 percent, respectively], but even those two presidents never got a disapproval rating in the 70s," Holland said. "The previous all-time record in CNN or Gallup polling was set by Truman, 67 percent disapproval in January 1952."

While Gallup polling goes back to the 1930s, it wasn't until the Truman years that they began surveying monthly approval ratings.

CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider adds, "He is more unpopular than Richard Nixon was just before he resigned from the presidency in August 1974."

President Nixon's disapproval rating in August 1974 stood at 66 percent
Don't Miss

* Bush pushes 3 nations on nuclear issue

The poll also indicates that support for the war in Iraq has never been lower. Thirty percent of those questioned favored the war, while 68 percent opposed it.

"Americans are growing more pessimistic about the war," Holland said. "In January, nearly half believed that things were going well for the U.S. in Iraq; now that figure has dropped to 39 percent."

The numbers on the Iraq war come on the five-year anniversary of Bush's "Mission Accomplished" moment on board the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, when he proclaimed that "major combat operations in Iraq have ended."

The record-low support for the war in a CNN poll could be one reason behind the president's unpopularity, but it probably is not the only one.

"Support for the war, the assessment of the economy and approval of Mr. Bush are all about the same -- bad," Schneider said.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll was conducted by telephone from Monday through Wednesday among 1,008 adult Americans.

The poll's sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Clinton was 10x the shitbag than Bush, at least Bush didn't deliberatly weaken our countries military by closing so many military bases, and Bush did something to the fuckwad terrorists when they attacked us, Clinton simply turned the other cheek when the USS Cole was bombed, Clinton should rot in hell, but even that is too good for him.>:(

Nice rant, but apparently more Americans disagree with you than agree with you.

And I fail to see that your opinion of Clinton, or Congress's approval rating, have anything whatsoever to do with Bush's being the most unpopular president in recent history.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

And I fail to see that your opinion of Clinton, or Congress's approval rating, have anything whatsoever to do with Bush's being the most unpopular president in recent history.

Just saying, Clinton was a shitbag, thats all. And If my memory serves me correctly, there are always big dissapproving polls of the current president, happens every year. Bush is a good ole country boy, who believes in Guns, God and Kicking anyones ass who threatens America and the right wing anti everything people just cant take it...

Clinton was 10x the shitbag than Bush, at least Bush didn't deliberatly weaken our countries military by closing so many military bases,

Right. The USA doesn't have anywhere NEAR enough military bases. 600+ military bases in over 100 countries is nowhere near enough.:S:S

Clearly what we need is to pump MORE and MORE money into MORE and MORE military bases. America should garrison the entire planet. And the American taxpayers should pick up the tab. We need to promote more foreign occupation, so we can continue to promote anti-American sentiment & terrorism, and thereby expand & perpetuate the War on Terror indefinitely. After all, defense contractors need to make a living too, you know.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Just saying, Clinton was a shitbag, thats all. And If my memory serves me correctly, there are always big dissapproving polls of the current president, happens every year. Bush is a good ole country boy, who believes in Guns, God and Kicking anyones ass who threatens America and the right wing anti everything people just cant take it...

So it's OK with you that US taxpayers (including you) are ponying up half of the entire world's "defense" spending? ("Defense" being a complete misnomer, defense of the nation would only require a fraction of what we are spending to be offensive).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Bush is a good ole country boy, who believes in Guns, God and Kicking anyones ass who threatens America and the right wing anti everything people just cant take it...

Yep. That's exactly what the leader of world's super power No. 1 should be - a funny old drunken country boy playing the role of beeing the leader of world's super power No. 1.

LMAO.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Bush is a good ole country boy, who believes in Guns, God and Kicking anyones ass who threatens America and the right wing anti everything people just cant take it...

Yep. That's exactly what the leader of world's super power No. 1 should be - a funny old drunken country boy playing the role of beeing the leader of world's super power No. 1.

LMAO.

Its funny, My country's founders believed in the same thing, and America was a an Awesome place until the right wing anti everything people started getting a say so in stuff...

at least Bush didn't deliberatly weaken our countries military by closing so many military bases,

You're right. That's not how Bush weakened our military.

and Bush did something to the fuckwad neighbors of the terrorists when they attacked us,

There, that's more accurate.

Clinton had high approval ratings, even during his impeachment. He wasn't a great president, but he was a great president compared to Bush.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Its funny, My country's founders believed in the same thing, and America was a an Awesome place until the right wing anti everything people started getting a say so in stuff...

So, as you imply, the solution is to remove the right-wing from power. That might be going a little bit too far, but I do agree with the general sentiment.

Clinton had high approval ratings, even during his impeachment. He wasn't a great president, but he was a great president compared to Bush.

Clinton was such a fuckup his first couple of years in office that Republicans swept Congress in the 94 elections. Clinton unchecked by Congress was a horrible president.

Bush, unchecked by Congress, is a horrible president.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Clinton was 10x the shitbag than Bush, at least Bush didn't deliberatly weaken our countries military by closing so many military bases, and Bush did something to the fuckwad terrorists when they attacked us, Clinton simply turned the other cheek when the USS Cole was bombed, Clinton should rot in hell, but even that is too good for him.>:(

Clinton was criticized by the right for going after al Qaeda. He did it anyway, and the US obtained convictions against those who bombed WTC.

But I'd like to hope that a high disapproval rating might......just might keep them from doing something massively stupid on the way out of the door.
I can dream can't I?

I dont think they really give a damn....and would not be surprised if they DONT leave office "for the good of America"... and 30% of our people.. The hard core Republican Neo Cons deadenders will support them all the way to a world conflict.

at least Bush didn't deliberatly weaken our countries military by closing so many military bases, and Bush did something to the fuckwad terrorists when they attacked us, Clinton simply turned the other cheek when the USS Cole was bombed,

NICE revisionist history.. want to check your facts?

The drawdown of our military was a response to the end of the COLD WAR.. the base closings were agreed to and started by Bush the First.

It was called the PEACE DIVIDEND[:/]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_dividend

The peace dividend is a political slogan popularized by US President George H.W. Bush and UK Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in the early 1990s, purporting to describe the economic benefit of a decrease in defense spending. It is used primarily in discussions relating to the guns versus butter theory. The term was frequently used at the end of the Cold War, when many Western nations significantly cut military spending.

Clinton was such a fuckup his first couple of years in office that Republicans swept Congress in the 94 elections. Clinton unchecked by Congress was a horrible president.

Bush, unchecked by Congress, is a horrible president.

And Carter is still running a close second.

The drawdown of our military was a response to the end of the COLD WAR.. the base closings were agreed to and started by Bush the First.

It was called the PEACE DIVIDEND[:/]

And it disporportionately hit DNC leaning regions - the Bay Area is essentially open to invasion now, as numerous bases in the area were closed. It was a temporary hit to the CA economy, then it found more productive uses of talent and capital.