2 2
rushmc

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

On 2/9/2019 at 10:45 PM, billvon said:

I agree.  Fortunately the sort of alarmism you describe is very rare.  (Alarmism is not exemplified by someone who quits smoking because of the health risks; alarmism means that someone can't sleep at night because of the fear that someone else might smoke near them.)

Excellent point.  And concordantly, we all thought that all those advances came for free; that we wouldn't have to pay for them.  Turns out we do.  The mines, the oil fields, the atmosphere and the oceans are not infinite, and we are reaching the limits of what they can do for us.

The cool thing is that now we know better, and can get that same quality of life without polluting the oceans and skies, and without exceeding the carrying capacity of the planet.  If we want to, of course.

but we are still polluting the earth with the materials we are making batteries with and the pollutants in the worn out photo cells we have to dispose of

are we just trading 1 pollutant for another?

15 minutes ago, Rick said:

but we are still polluting the earth with the materials we are making batteries with and the pollutants in the worn out photo cells we have to dispose of

Yes.  There are no perfect solutions; just some that are better than others.  

For example, solar panels take energy to produce, generate a little toxic waste while being built, and will have to be disposed of in ~50 years.  Compared to a good geothermal site it's about a wash. But compared to a coal power plant you are MUCH better off from a pollution perspective with the solar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick said:

are we just trading 1 pollutant for another?

This is true - but at present the continuation of human society requires consumption of resources and production of waste. There is no way around that with the technology we have available.

All major energy production and energy storage involves consumption, waste and some environmental damage somewhere - however that does not mean that every form of energy production is equally damaging. It's the fallacy that anti-electric car people and the like keep perpetuating, that because no solution is perfect none of them are worth doing. They miss the point that they can be imperfect, but still significantly better than the alternatives. 

2 hours ago, jakee said:

This is true - but at present the continuation of human society requires consumption of resources and production of waste. There is no way around that with the technology we have available.

All major energy production and energy storage involves consumption, waste and some environmental damage somewhere - however that does not mean that every form of energy production is equally damaging. It's the fallacy that anti-electric car people and the like keep perpetuating, that because no solution is perfect none of them are worth doing. They miss the point that they can be imperfect, but still significantly better than the alternatives. 

Gotcha "but still significantly better than the alternatives".  and from Bill "compared to a coal power plant you are MUCH better off from a pollution perspective with the solar." 

I would think as we get more into the production they can find even better ways to produce the power we need. I saw something about wave action generators. The theory seems sound but I have not really researched the application.

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

I would think as we get more into the production they can find even better ways to produce the power we need. I saw something about wave action generators. The theory seems sound but I have not really researched the application.

They work but:

1) They are very low energy density so you have a similar problem that you have with solar/wind - you need a LOT of them.

2) As any sailor will tell you, keeping ANYTHING working in the ocean (especially if it's designed to work better in bad weather) is a bear.

31 minutes ago, rushmc said:

Wrong, paltering, click-bait and a hodgepodge of barefaced lies. You story not only provides no proof of the 30,000 names or how this fabrication came into existence. It further makes reference to a graph of US temperatures that is not on the NASA website and is false.

Global Temperature, NASA

Your half-truth, fabrication trolling websites have failed again.

Just now, ryoder said:

Anyone else think that link was going to be about an American pop band from the 1960's?

That was my first thought. I had no clue it was going to be about 'vibrations' and 'end times' at the same time. 
Where's Ron these days? I know he had to go off and do 'secret' stuff that [Q] was 'dropping' about.
But I thought he'd be back by now.
He'd just love that article.

2 minutes ago, DJL said:

You're going to feel pretty stupid making fun of that when we send all the CO2 into the fifth dimension.

You didn't read the article, did you?

The "Fifth Dimension" isn't a 'place'. It's a state of consciousness. Vibrations. End times. Peace & love.

The whole site is pretty interesting.

1 minute ago, wolfriverjoe said:

You didn't read the article, did you?

The "Fifth Dimension" isn't a 'place'. It's a state of consciousness. Vibrations. End times. Peace & love.

The whole site is pretty interesting.

Well, then...you're going to feel stupid when we send the CO2 to a state of consciousness, man.

Just now, DJL said:

Well, then...you're going to feel stupid when we send the CO2 to a state of consciousness, man.

Yes, yes I will.

Good grief. Go to the home page and read the headlines. 

http://humansarefree.com/?m=0

It's everything. 

Politician pedophilia, ultrasound & 5G & vaccines are bad, aliens, gun confiscation, dinosaurs aren't real, and, of course, the Fifth Dimension (while it sounds like the 'Age of Aquarius', it's not the song).

3 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Yes, yes I will.

I'll check it out.  I love that shit.  I had an interesting exercise this morning tracking down security enclosures for outdoor wireless access points only to find out that I'd wandered into talking to a supplier who sold things to protect people from cell phone radiation, space waves and chemtrails.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Yes, yes I will.

http://humansarefree.com/?m=0

It's everything. 

Politician pedophilia, ultrasound & 5G & vaccines are bad, aliens, gun confiscation, dinosaurs aren't real, and, of course, the Fifth Dimension (while it sounds like the 'Age of Aquarius', it's not the song).

That made me curious so I took a look.

Headline:" Unprecedented Gun Confiscation Hits US: Thousands of Guns Seized in 2018 from Innocent Citizens."  Proof of this from the article: "an unprecedented 1,700 orders to seize guns were issued in 2018."  Like, from people convicted of murder, or people who batter their wives.

Headline: "50 Causal Human Studies Identify High Risks of Prenatal Ultrasound."  Egads!  Given the prevalence of ultrasound imaging, this is a big deal!  From the article: "human babies are always harmed in some, possibly subtle way, at minimum a trauma, from prenatal scans."  Sounds very big.  Proof?  A Chinese study where they looked at aborted fetuses after ultrasounds.  They also had a graph showing how autism went up in these fetuses compared to ultrasound intensity.  Not sure how you tell if an aborted fetus has autism.  It also causes ADHD, genetic damage, jaundice, cancer, eczema, allergies and "personality anomalies."

If this confuses you there is a helpful link to the "study."  It is a book by a guy who doesn't like lots of things.  From the review: "The theme argued in this book is ultimately about toxic synergies between ultrasound, vaccines, birth drugs, and other environmental stressors."  Only $9.99 on Amazon.

Headline: "Firefighters Report Neurological Damage After Cell Tower Installation Near Their Station."  Quote from 'authority' - “Putting in tens of millions of 5G antennae without a single biological test of safety has got to be about the stupidest idea anyone has had in the history of the world!”  (Really?  Worse than putting radium in candy?  Worse than the Bhopal tragedy?  Worse than electing Trump?)

So I took a closer look.  A key line: "Dr. Gunnar Heuser lead brain studies on firefighters following a cell tower installation on their fire station and found that their brains were all abnormal. His SPECT brain study in 2004 focused on firefighters who complained of neurological problems following a cell tower installation at their fire station beforehand. The symptoms they experienced were: headaches, memory problems, sleeping problems, depression, and anxiety."  Firefighters have headaches and sleeping problems - and this is proof that EM radiation is giving them "abnormal brains" and not a result of sleeping in a  . . . firehouse?

And of course a Paypal link to donate - and a sale on "toxin filter" drops - to separate a few more fools from their money.

I liked this one "Former Air Force Sgt Who Claimed He Saw NASA Photos of Alien Base on Far Side of Moon Dies After Tractor Trailer Hit His Bike"

I wonder if the Chinese probe got any pics?? Of course it was the mid-1960's when the Air Force dude saw the pics. They may have moved out by now.

41 minutes ago, billvon said:

That made me curious so I took a look....

And of course a Paypal link to donate - and a sale on "toxin filter" drops - to separate a few more fools from their money.

Its unfortunate that people get hooked into sites like this. Like the National Enquirer, aka AMI. The average person would be skeptical but curiosity may get the better of them. IMO Marc and Ron are susceptible to this. Then:

How Your Brain Tricks You Into Believing Fake News

Research Reveals Why Fake News Is So Powerful       Psy Today

Why we believe alternative facts         American Psychological Association

This is why people like trump and some other politicians are so dangerous. Why their lies can be so persuasive. These concepts are part of ARMY-PSY 101(psy-war), President Putin's day one training in the KGB(before the FSB).

8 hours ago, ryoder said:

Anyone else think that link was going to be about an American pop band from the 1960's?

It’s funny that all you guys can come up with insults because you got no proof.

To date, there is no scientific study that backs up the claim that man is affecting the planet to the point where it’s warming because of their activities.

And I am consistently called the troll on this site .

lol

Your "article" starts with a quote that is more than 2 years old and wrong.

Then it goes on with a 10 year old survey that suggests scientists are skeptical of current models to accurately predict global temperatures.

Then it ties it all together with a supposed list of over 30,000 signatures. Of those only 0.5% are scientists with a background in climatology or atmospheric science.

And you wonder why it isn't being taken seriously?

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Your "article" starts with a quote that is more than 2 years old and wrong.. . .

And you wonder why it isn't being taken seriously?

It is instructive that the title of this thread is "There is a problem with global warming - it stopped in 1998!"  This was a claim because 1998 was an exceptionally warm year due to an El Nino, and thus for ~6 years after no year was as warm.

Since then that record has been broken 9 times - by 2016, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2014, 2010, 2013, 2005, and 2009.  There is more than one reason deniers are not taken very seriously today.

9 hours ago, rushmc said:

It’s funny that all you guys can come up with insults because you got no proof.

To date, there is no scientific study that backs up the claim that man is affecting the planet to the point where it’s warming because of their activities.

And I am consistently called the troll on this site .

lol

Nobody forces you to post articles from tinfoil hat sites.  You only have yourself to blame for your lack of credibility.