2 2
rushmc

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

5 hours ago, rushmc said:

That's the best laugh I've had in a long time!

What does independent mean? He says that anyone currently involved in government funded climate science is not independent because of that government funding, yet he supports a massive government funded review under the purview of someone who is on record as already being a climate denier because that will, somehow, be independent.

John Droz, wow. What a fucking mentalistxD

2 hours ago, jakee said:

What does independent mean? He says that anyone currently involved in government funded climate science is not independent because of that government funding, yet he supports a massive government funded review under the purview of someone who is on record as already being a climate denier because that will, somehow, be independent.

Exactly!  And he doesn't go far enough.

Philip Morris should immediately be given an oversight role over the Surgeon General's office, to see if their alarmism about smoking is based in science, or just a greenie liberal power grab.  That's the only way to get an unbiased view of how they are doing.

James Alex Fields should be placed in charge of the committee to investigate right wing terrorism; to see if the rapidly rising violence from the right is an issue.  He can decide whether recent attacks (like the New Zealand massacre) indicates a problem to be addressed here in the US, or whether it's just more liberal propaganda.  I know what you are going to say - he's a white supremacist and a murderer.  But that means he will be COMPLETELY impartial; he has seen both sides.

Greenpeace should be given control over all the country's nuclear plants.  Since they are outsiders with no vested interests, they will be able to make recommendations with the best interests of the US in mind.

Re: Rush's Video

So, a couple of people who work as climate denier lobbyists talking about something "the scientists" got wrong in 1922?  That's your groundbreaking source? By the way, the article he's reading is a report from an expedition to Sptizbergen Norway, not a comprehensive report on the arctic.

Also, the meter reading he shows is actually an acceptable level of CO2 inside of a room according to OSHA:

• 350-1,000 ppm: typical level found in occupied spaces with good air exchange
  • 1,000-2,000 ppm: level associated with complaints of drowsiness and poor air

But....he's not quite accurate to say that "There's nothing bad about carbon dioxide, the more the better." because (again OSHA):

• 2,000-5,000 ppm: level associated with headaches, sleepiness, and stagnant, stale, stuffy air; poor concentration, loss of attention, increased heart rate and slight nausea may also be present.
  • >5,000 ppm: This indicates unusual air conditions where high levels of other gases also could be present. Toxicity or oxygen deprivation could occur. This is the permissible exposure limit for daily workplace exposures.
  • >40,000 ppm: This level is immediately harmful due to oxygen deprivation.

53 minutes ago, DJL said:

Rush, upon review do you still feel that any aspect of this video is a valid statement about either climate change or CO2.

Don't forget; this is the guy who still thinks climate change ended in 1998.

1 hour ago, rushmc said:

Like this is a surprise?

Also, you never answered my question from above.  Do you think there's any validity to the video you posted that an article about the observations of an expedition in Norway in 1922 and readings of about 900 ppm CO2 in a conference room are relevant to our current study of global warming and CO2 levels?

3 hours ago, rushmc said:

Like this is a surprise?

From the post:

"notes that an electric car recharged by a coal-fired plant produces as much CO2 as a gasoline-powered car that gets 29 miles per gallon."

My EV's are recharged via solar.  So are all the EV's at my company.  (55 charging spots, 450 kilowatt solar array on the roof.)  The solution is simple - shut down the filthy, inefficient coal plants, as we are doing here.

From Yale, a good read from a former climate change denier.  Takeaways:

-Conservative values are centered around two things - mistrust of 'outsiders' and a belief that preserving the ways of the past is critical.  While climate change was a theory this worked well; they could spin climate change 'alarmism' as outsiders (i.e. the government, the UN, universities) trying to change their treasured way of life.  But as climate change accelerates, this change will be perceived more as "the Benson family just lost their orchard to climate change; do you want the Hawleys to lose their farm as well?"  And that's going to be very hard to deny away for conservatives.

-One of the reasons conservatives oppose education is that it leads to questioning of things like climate change denial - and that leads to understanding what's going on with the climate.

-One of the things that changes some conservatives from deniers to people who want action is having children, and realizing what they will inherit.

==========================

Former climate 'denier' regrets 'how wrongheaded but certain I was'   -    Here's what led him to change his mind.

By Karin Kirk

John Kaiser wheeled a cart with a TV and VCR into the lobby of an academic building on the campus of the University of North Carolina-Wilmington, popped in a well-worn VHS cassette, and played a video extolling the virtues of an atmosphere rich in CO2.

“It was a video that was made to look like a news show; there were people who looked like anchors in it,” recalled Kaiser. It was part of a campaign to attract students to join a conservative movement on his undergraduate campus.

“[The video] was all about how CO2 levels are rising, but that’s great! Because plants need CO2, and the more CO2 there is, the more plants will grow and the more crops we’ll have. And the more we’ll have to eat and this will be an age of abundance because of all the extra CO2 in the atmosphere.”

Kaiser recounted the spin with a dash of wry humor, “So don’t worry about what the lefties and the liberals tell you, this is actually going to make things better.”   . . .

When he left home and went to college, Kaiser said, his views surged further to the right. “I think it would be accurate to describe myself as kind of an Evangelical fundamentalist at the time.” Kaiser joined a conservative group called the Leadership Institute, which trains students to become effective in political engagement. “They would give us all kinds of stuff for how to talk about climate change,” he recalled, “in a way that advances the agenda of the political right.”

“At that time in my life I envisioned that I was going to become some kind of political operative,” he said.

Kaiser became heavily involved with the Leadership Institute, attending training events, meeting conservative icons, and learning the ropes as a political organizer, all paid for by the institute. “They would be quite disappointed in how I turned out,” mused Kaiser.

Kaiser sums up the primary reason he and other conservatives rejected the premise of climate change: “Because if climate change is as bad as they say it is, it would justify government intervention. And we can’t justify government intervention because that’s a bad thing.” . . .

By the time Kaiser was part way through his PhD program in history at the University of North Carolina-Greensboro, his views began to shift. He was in his late 20s, and his education and exposure to details of American history led to eventual initial cracks in his hardline stance. “There were things that were part of my fundamentalist upbringing that I questioned. You’ve probably followed the polling that says that the majority of Republicans are now fearful that advanced education is dangerous.  And I think my experience is kind of what they fear.” . . .

"So it was very odd, I was replacing these little pieces on gay marriage, on climate change, and suddenly my puzzle didn’t work. I realized I’m looking at the wrong puzzle. I have to go get a different box – a whole different puzzle.”

“Climate change went along with those beliefs,” he said. “I never quite believed it was a hoax like [President] Trump likes to say, but I kind of took the position that what if they’re just wrong about what the outcome is going to be.”

So I wasn’t out there denying the temperature indications. I wasn’t out there denying CO2 levels. I was denying the consequences of them.”

“And that denial stopped in 2009 or 2010. I really kind of shifted significantly.  I should have looked more deeply’

Kaiser says he now is motivated to publicly share his turnabout on climate change. “I just feel guilty that my generation was part of setting up the politics of today. That we played a role in spreading misinformation. That we were unwitting allies of merchants of doubt …. We didn’t realize that coal companies and oil companies were funding all of these things we were showing about the positive benefits of CO2.”

“I do feel some responsibility that I should have known better, that I should have looked more deeply into the issue, into who was funding the stuff that I was putting out there.”.  . 

Maybe when climate change starts affecting their hometown, that’s when they’re going to accept it because that just seems to be ingrained within conservatism, that it has to be something that I can feel locally in my community. I think one of the quintessential aspects of conservatism is a distrust of outsiders.” . . 

“Now I’m a 39-year-old man with children who are going to reach maturity in a world that will be worse than the one that I came to maturity in. That thought horrifies me, especially because I was out there on a weekly basis telling people, don’t worry about global warming, it’s not going to be a problem.”

“I’d like to say that there’s a part of me that believes that, politically and technologically, we will figure this out in time. And that the technology of geothermal, solar, wind, all of that, will advance … to fully replace coal, and a big chunk of oil. There’s a part of me that wants to believe that. But, having been a part of climate change denial, I worry about whether we can get to that point. And I worry especially as we see active attempts at sabotaging things like renewable energy industries.  Time will tell, we will see. I worry that it won’t be enough.”

https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2019/04/former-climate-change-denier-explains-his-shift/

This is funny....

On 2/21/2019 at 3:54 PM, rushmc said:

Like a body paying any attention at all did not know this?

https://www.westernjournal.com/media-hysteria-climate-change-heat-records-huge-data-manipulation/

“Media Hysteria: Climate Change ‘Heat Records’ Are a Huge Data Manipulation”

On 2/21/2019 at 3:55 PM, rushmc said:

And still no one refutes the info

"RETRACTION, Feb. 21, 2019: This Op-Ed has been retracted for failing to meet The Western Journal’s Editorial Standards. After publication, a number of factual claims made in the Op-Ed were determined to have been untrue. The decision was then made to retract the piece. Before we had done that, questions were raised about the methodology used by its authors to reach their conclusions, but because the decision to retract had already been made, The Western Journal did not investigate the validity of those questions. We note them here only for the record.

We apologize for publishing material in violation of our Editorial Standards of factual accuracy and for any confusion we might have caused by doing so. "

7 minutes ago, evh said:

This is funny....

"RETRACTION, Feb. 21, 2019: This Op-Ed has been retracted for failing to meet The Western Journal’s Editorial Standards. After publication, a number of factual claims made in the Op-Ed were determined to have been untrue. The decision was then made to retract the piece. Before we had done that, questions were raised about the methodology used by its authors to reach their conclusions, but because the decision to retract had already been made, The Western Journal did not investigate the validity of those questions. We note them here only for the record.

We apologize for publishing material in violation of our Editorial Standards of factual accuracy and for any confusion we might have caused by doing so. "

Western Journal is like Weekly World News but without Bat Boy.

19 minutes ago, evh said:

This is funny....

I was totally unaware that the Western Journal had any standards.

If they retracted every story that was 'untrue', they'd have a very sparse site.

One of my 'favorites' was back in , when Ebola was scaring the crap out of the morons, they published a story that Obama was allowing Ebola infected illegal immigrants to enter the US. They were (of course) going to infect everyone they came in contact with.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:51 PM, richravizza said:

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/lithium-ion-battery-production-is-surging-but-at-what-cost#gs.Dff5LMjU

Hope you don't have a bias with this site.

Lithium-based batteries also require raw materials like cobalt, nickel and graphite, which further complicate the supply chain. Labor injustices in the extraction of cobalt are well documented. Over 20 percent of exports from the Democratic Republic of Congo, the world’s top producer, come from unregulated artisanal mines that often employ children. For raw materials like nickel and graphite, producing countries cope with water contamination and deforestation.

Going back to this:

A few updates.  First is that most of the EV industry has switched to an 8:1:1 formulation for its cathodes - 8 parts nickel, 1 part manganese, 1 part cobalt.  That reduces the amount of cobalt by 50% over the 6:2:2 formulation they used before, and even more over the 1:1:1 original formulation.  

Second is Tesla.  They are now using an NCA formulation that uses even less than the 8:1:1 formulations above.  Tesla's biggest batteries now use less than 5kg cobalt per battery - and they are moving towards zero.

Third is in the Tesla motor.  The rare earth magnets used in some of Tesla's motors also use rare earth metals.  They are now going to a permanent magnet switched reluctance design that 1) uses less rare earths and 2) significantly improves efficiency.  They are going to replace the current motors in the model S and X with PMSRM motors and get 10% more range - and use less rare earths than a PM motor would.

Fourth is Oxis.  Oxis now has a lithium-sulfur battery that uses no cobalt at all; the cathode is graphite laminated to copper.  This battery is worse from an energy-per-liter perspective but much better from an energy-per-kilogram perspective, meaning that batteries will be slightly larger but much lighter for a given energy.  EV manufacturers are excited over this since the weight is the thing that was killing them.  Since batteries can be literally any shape you want, finding space for them is a design exercise but isn't a killer.

On 5/12/2019 at 5:48 PM, wolfriverjoe said:

I was totally unaware that the Western Journal had any standards.

If they retracted every story that was 'untrue', they'd have a very sparse site.

One of my 'favorites' was back in , when Ebola was scaring the crap out of the morons, they published a story that Obama was allowing Ebola infected illegal immigrants to enter the US. They were (of course) going to infect everyone they came in contact with.

Shouldn't this be in the media sensationalizing thread too?

LOL 

I find it quit amussing in the context of AGW debate and its role in "Extreme weather".I find  the sensationalism extremely dependent on ignorance, on multiple fronts.

Politics ,media,sensationalism, fear and loathing simply don't hold up in a court of law.

22 hours ago, richravizza said:

LOL 

I find it quit amussing in the context of AGW debate and its role in "Extreme weather".I find  the sensationalism extremely dependent on ignorance, on multiple fronts.

Politics ,media,sensationalism, fear and loathing simply don't hold up in a court of law.

I am truly impressed that you know more about this topic than the collective wisdom of the National Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Engineering (among other such bodies from other nations).