mailin

So why is it we're paying more than $2.50/gallon?

Q. why does anyone need $billions?

1 - to pay tens of thousands of peoples' salaries so they can own a home, feed the family, maybe send the kids to college

2 - to overpay executives that saw an opportunity that others didn't

3 - just because it's fun to fill a swimming pool with hundred dollar bills

what do you want? for the companies to operate as non-profit so we can burn through all the top tier oil in the world even faster?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Exxon Mobil reported earnings of $9.9 billion, $1.58 per share, up 75% from the same quarter a year ago.

Hopefully, this will become an antitrust case.

I wouldn't be suprised. There's definitely price fixing going on when the five biggest oil companies all just had their most profitable quarter ever, during record high gas prices. If we get the oil companies out of the white house, an investigation might have a chance.

The USA buys refined gas, and crude oil from Canada. The US Gas stations sell it for much less than we can buy it here.

Its all politics and greed.

Speaking of politics and greed, don't forget that gasoline is cheaper in Ontario than it is in Alberta where this huge source of Oil exists. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

>you could not go drill a well, build a refinery, and open a druvaughn
>gas station across the street from an exxon station.

No, but you can choose a car that gets 50mpg, or a car/truck that can run on alcohol, or a car/truck that runs on biodiesel (or even straight vegetable oil) or a car that runs on natural gas (the Honda GX.) Once this starts happening in a big way, demand will drop and gas prices will fall via the natural supply/demand equation.

gasoline burned in automobiles accoutns for less than 10% of the oil consumed in the U.S. Even if every personal automobile stopped TODAY, we'd still be using 90% of the same oil tomorrow. Plastics, AV gas, diesel, natural gas and heating oil account for the rest of it.

This is so mind boggingly wrong I almost can't believe it's an honest mistake. The transportation sector accounts for nearly 70% of the petrolium we consume.

>gasoline burned in automobiles accoutns for less than 10% of the oil consumed in the U.S.

47% of every barrel of oil we use goes to gasoline. Gasoline is used by 99% of the cars in the US.

>secondly, your BEBE jeans example is laughable as there is no
>designer gasoline. if you want to pay a premium for higher acotane,
>you are literally burning your money for NO reason.

You say there is no designer gasoline and then you give an example of designer gasoline?

demand will drop and gas prices will fall via the natural supply/demand equation.

not true.... its £4.10 ($6.50 ?) a gallon in Britain, the price is creeping up and up, yet we are having more environmentally friendly cars on the road. How much moaning do you think the average American will do if you ever have to pay our prices?

>not true.... its £4.10 ($6.50 ?) a gallon in Britain, the price is
> creeping up and up, yet we are having more environmentally
> friendly cars on the road.

I should have said "prices will drop when demand falls more quickly than supply." Supply is starting to fall off, so demand would have to drop faster. Also keep in mind that a very large percentage (the majority, I believe) of your fuel prices are taxes.

47% of every barrel of oil we use goes to gasoline. Gasoline is used by 99% of the cars in the US.

According to the Energy Information Administration the number for total consumption was 21.2% in 2004. Did the numbers from then to now really change that much or are we talking about apples and oranges? (Please note that the numbers I am talking about are for total oil consumption. Oil both refined and not refined).

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

This is so mind boggingly wrong I almost can't believe it's an honest mistake. The transportation sector accounts for nearly 70% of the petrolium we consume.

I've seen this 10% figure in a couple other places, so there must be a source for this gross inaccuracy.

>Did the numbers from then to now really change that much or are
>we talking about apples and oranges?

"The United States consumes over 20 million barrels (840 million gallons) of petroleum products each day, almost half of it in the form of gasoline used in over 200 million motor vehicles with combined travel over 7 billion miles per day."

http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/brochure/gas04/gasoline.htm

>not true.... its £4.10 ($6.50 ?) a gallon in Britain, the price is
> creeping up and up, yet we are having more environmentally
> friendly cars on the road.

I should have said "prices will drop when demand falls more quickly than supply." Supply is starting to fall off, so demand would have to drop faster. Also keep in mind that a very large percentage (the majority, I believe) of your fuel prices are taxes.

i think we pay £0.74 out of every £1 in tax, on fuel :S

I read the quote you used.... But the graphic right underneath it shows 19.7..... It and the other numbers I was looking at are in gallons not percent... Thats what had me confused.

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

What do you peeps in the US pay for each...

I'm trying to work out why we pay more in the U.K for the dregs of the refining process (Diesel) than we do for high grade Petrol:S

P.S I use bio-fuel in my Landy, which is cheaper..... for now.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

>I told everyone here to invest in oil futures several months ago.

I recall you recently blaming high gas prices on environmentalists. Well, at least they're driving the price lower now.

Then your memory would be incorrect. I didn't blame the recent jump in gas prices on environmentalists. We all know that was a blip caused by the hurricaines. I do believe that the price of gas is high overall because of our inability to drill for oil and construct refineries because of environmentalists.

My guess is those who took my advice aren't the ones whining about high gas prices. Ya think? ;)