I wish the price of gas in the US would DOUBLE overnight

and die.

Your call, but the statistics show clearly that you're more likely to survive a potentially fatal crash in normal automobile because they are designed to be safe with various impact and crumple zones.

SUVs and Pickups are not subject to the same standards (do to a nice loophole) and therefor have demonstrably lower safety levels.

A side impact in an automobile may throw you off the road but the chances of you losing your legs or your life are dramatically smaller than if you were in an truck.

There have been many reports and articles on the illusion of security and safety in SUVs.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

>Sure, enjoy your legroom but please, the 'safer in an SUV' fable is *&%/3@.

Want argue the point, but I bet my chances of survival from a side impact are better than the family in a Yugo, Kia, Saturn, Honda Civic....

Now the armored car, they don't get good gas milage thats why I did'nt buy one, but a great place to have put all my hard earned money.

>Sure, enjoy your legroom but please, the 'safer in an SUV' fable is *&%/3@.

Want argue the point, but I bet my chances of survival from a side impact are better than the family in a Yugo, Kia, Saturn, Honda Civic....

Now the armored car, they don't get good gas milage thats why I did'nt buy one, but a great place to have put all my hard earned money.

Long time since I saw a Yugo. Nice red-herring there. Now, how about roll-overs?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>but I bet my chances of survival from a side impact are better than
>the family in a Yugo, Kia, Saturn, Honda Civic....

Yugo? Yes. Saturn or Civic? No. Civics rate very highly in side impact crashes due to reinforced doors and side-impact airbags.

Yeah, my wife used our hard-earned money to buy an SUV last year. A Volvo XC90. Volvos are built to tank-like specifications. It has five star NHTSA ratings for side crash tests and front tests (front Passenger front crash is only four star).

We got it for the safety for our new baby. My ugly-as-sin Mercury Sable also has a 5 star safety rating front and side.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

how about roll-overs?

That XC90 (great fucking car) has 4 stars on that. It's got a stability control system and lower center of gravoty. The stability control system automatically applies brakes to certain wheels when it detects a rollover risk.

It's also got the front dual airbags and the sidecurtain airbags, which I thought was pretty sweet.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>Long time since I saw a Yugo. Nice red-herring there. Now, how about roll-overs?

Yugo thing...yea, but I was hoping no one would notice, forgot you read these things.

As far as them Roll overs, I try not to do them because I'm not like everyone else, I can't stand pain, it hurts me.

>What if you hit a Civic from behind? It may be safer for you, but only because it's not for everybody else.

Thats why I carry Liability Insurance. This only has happened to me only once, when I was a mere lad and I got the worst of it, not to mention a pink slip from an officer. One of the reasons I got me something Big.

But now everyone is telling me Big is not always safe... all this help is going to start costing me money.

>What if you hit a Civic from behind? It may be safer for you, but only because it's not for everybody else.

Thats why I carry Liability Insurance. This only has happened to me only once, when I was a mere lad and I got the worst of it, not to mention a pink slip from an officer. One of the reasons I got me something Big.

So the point being made there was you are sacrificing other people's real safety for your own perceived safety.

>we'll see 6-7$ per gallon in the next year...

I don't think so. From polling results I've seen, and from driving behavior in France and the UK (where I've seen it) once it gets to around $5 people will actually change their behavior - drive less, bike more, get more efficient cars. And once that happens demand will drop and so will price.

>So the point being made there was you are sacrificing other people's real safety for your own perceived safety.

Yes, because I take it upon myself to insure my safety and that of my family. The SUV being as you put it my own perceived safety. I'm however not responsible to insure your safety, that is left up to you. I will always however try not to be the one who wipes you out or your family.

As in your statement there are many skydivers sacrificing other people's real safety for their own perceived safety, i.e. canopy collisions for one. But, I've only been in this sport for 8 months what do I know.

You may be just a bit surprised that 4x4s arent as safe as you'd like to think.

The EuroNCAP tasting of cars gives a star rating and take a look at the Jeep Cherokee 2002 model [3 star rated] compared to a very small car like say a Renault Modus [5 start rated] ......
NCAP_TEST

Not definative but cause for thought!!

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Yea, makes me laugh when Americans whinge over the price of petrol. They don't know how good they've got it. As for lagrge cars, its not the size of you car that will kill you its your brain smashing inside your skull that does the damage.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

LOL has someone got their knickers in a twist?

I tend to do that, which is why I don't wear underwear.

You and i both have it equally as good as one another.

Bullshit. I've got it better than you. A couple of years ago, I was living in a one bedroom apartment with my wife and struggling to pay off $110k in student loans plus another 20k in credit cards. You had it better than me then.

Fortunately for me, I made the sacrifices and now I've got a business and just bought my first house with my wife, having moved into it two months ago today. I keep four people employed and live a life that allows me to not have to put my one year old son in day care for 8-10 hours a day.

Don't say your life is as good as mine. It isn't even close to as good as mine. I worked my fucking ass off to get my good life, and I work my ass off to keep it that way. See, instead of bitching and sniveling about how good others have it, I chose a different mindset - don't work at bringing them down, since it doesn't help me. Instead, I decided to make myself better. So I own a business, have a house, a great kid and a hot wife.

You could have it as good as I do, as well. Well, not the wife part. I'm married to the greatest lady in the world. You'll never have it as good as I do, but you can get close.

Don't preach to me about needing to taste the hard life from the cosy confines of your leather backed lawyers armchair.

Why not? I paid for this leather backed armchair with my own hard-earned money. Again, do you hold it against me that I desire comfort? Should my office be furnished with cardboard boxes? Should my chair be wooden stool? After all, the rest of the world is on dirt floors, right? Well, I guess I just want something better. Rather than work to bring down all others who have nice shit, I figured I'd go out and get that nice shit myself.

By the way - I grew up dirt poor. I paid for my own college. I paid for my own law school by taking out loans. Everything I've got I have fucking earned. I had nothing handed to me. "Ooh, boo hoo. I'm sorry for having ambition. I'm sorry for entering a career that allowed me to make money. I'm so sorry for employing four people and paying $23k per month in overhead. I'll never be ambitious again."

If you want to practice what you preach, why not sell up your law firm, and come and go work in the education sector in one of the most deprived areas of your country with 5th and 10th graders, like i do over here.

You've got it wrong. I DO practice what I preach. And what I preach is to quit bitching about others who have it better and try to be like them. I'm not gonna sell my law firm (at least not anytime soon. Of course, if I can get a couple million for it tomorrow, I may reconsider. I'm not going into the education sector, either. I made my choice and I'll stick with it. However, that 50 hours of pro bono work I did last year should count for something. Ever reunite a father with the son he hasn't seen in 7 years? I have.

I preach that you improve your lot in life by destroying others. If I'min the gutter, bringing other people down there with me still puts me in the gutter. In its essence, that's what you argue. I think it leads to overcrowding of gutters.

You talk to me about needing a dose of reality?

Yep. In reality, bringing others down to a gutter doesn't bring the gutter dweller out of the gutter, which should be the ultimate goal.

I laugh at you

You aren't alone. I'm a dopey looking SOB with psychosocial issues and a high-pitched voice. There's plenty to laugh at.

and say i'm swimming it in just plenty over here thanks

Swimming? Interesting choice of words. And since you've got so much reality to deal with, focus on your own instead of fantasizing about bringing the rest of the world down.

but if you want to help out, i would welcome the offer.

I'd like to help, but I've got to make some more money. I've had my eyes on a leather sofa to match my armchair, and I need the money to buy it.

haha ok whatever dude, i'm happy for you you have it so good and "way better than me" LOL. Probably a good job you worked so hard for yourself and have done so well - the extra cost of gas is going to cut a little deeper into your pockets :)

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

haha ok whatever dude, i'm happy for you you have it so good and "way better than me" LOL. Probably a good job you worked so hard for yourself and have done so well - the extra cost of gas is going to cut a little deeper into your pockets

How clueless can you be. He just told you it wasn't going to affect him that much. Believe it or not, there are a great deal of people who aren't going to be affected much by rising gas prices. I know I'm not. You think an extra $10 or $20 per fill up means anything to those making well over 6 figures? The people you want to hurt with your little sandbox perspective are the poor. Get it yet?

haha ok whatever dude, i'm happy for you you have it so good and "way better than me" LOL. Probably a good job you worked so hard for yourself and have done so well - the extra cost of gas is going to cut a little deeper into your pockets

How clueless can you be. He just told you it wasn't going to affect him that much. Believe it or not, there are a great deal of people who aren't going to be affected much by rising gas prices. I know I'm not. You think an extra $10 or $20 per fill up means anything to those making well over 6 figures? The people you want to hurt with your little sandbox perspective are the poor. Get it yet?

Oh i get it just fine thanks. But as long as those making over 6 figures are ok, who cares!

Right?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Oh i get it just fine thanks. But as long as those making over 6 figures are ok, who cares!

Right?

Apparently not you, based on your little wish to hurt the poor.

Right?

Apparently not you, based on your little wish to hurt the poor.

I don't want to hurt the poor. The poor can't even afford a car in the first place. I would just like your average self centred American to stop whinging about paying "so much more for fuel". Get over it and stump up the change!

Edited to add - just to clarify, i'm not saying your average American is self centred. In fact i find it to be the opposite from my experience.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts