JohnRich

"Fuck You!"

In the news, from England:
A secondary school is to allow pupils to swear at teachers - as long as they don't do so more than five times in a lesson. A running tally of how many times the f-word has been used will be kept on the board. If a class goes over the limit, they will be 'spoken' to at the end of the lesson. The astonishing policy, which the school says will improve the behaviour of pupils... Headmaster Alan Large said; "The reality is that the f-word is part of these young adults' everyday language," he said.
Full Story

Well that will just about guarantee that each kid will say "fuck you" the full five times in each class. They wouldn't want to end the day short of their quota! I'll even predict it will be a race, and a badge of pride, to see who can get there first.

It certainly isn't the best way to go about getting them to change their poor language habits. A bar of soap in the mouth always worked darned well on me.

Seriously people how can you not see that being 'spoken' to at the end of the lesson will make a dramatic difference in these children's behavior.

Just reading those words had me shivering in my boots.

I... I... could be spoken to.... :)

Oh no..... !!!!!!!!
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

its ridiculous - at our college we can get away with murder pretty much.

I mean, im sure weve all done shit we regret but this is taking the piss.

We used to have a french teacher who employed that system - it never lasted cos we were all on the board x100!!!!

But on a serious not, the rules should be stightened cos this will increase disrespect which could then pour into other more serious areas.

Then we could have problems.

What a wonderful way to teach our future leaders to respect others.

What? It's modeled after the UN. "BEHAVE, or we will give you a stern talking to"

It must be correct.

(nuts, the world is ending. I'm going to find a nice cave somewhere. maybe with a good view, a hot spring, maybe a bit of straw to sleep on.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I *think* the idea is if they're ALLOWED to do it, they'll lose interest. :S I'm sure it will backfire and just like you say, the kids will fill their quota daily! Reverse psychology doesn't work that well on kids that age!

I teach in a high school. I don't allow that type of language in my class. Because I don't allow it, it doesn't happen very often. When it does I have the student removed from my class. They don't get to come back without a written and public apology. If they do it again they are out permanently. It is the same with any form of disrespect or anything else that gets in the way of learning in my classroom. Most of my colleagues feel the same way.

I would say that this teacher's methodology is faulty. Students and children/ adolescents NEED and WANT structure. Ask them and they will tell you it's true. I can't even imagine having to take away valuable instruction time for such garbage as writing names on a chalkboard. I would never mess around with such fluff and nonsense. :S

My time is spent on TEACHING. When my students are learning and engaged, they don't have TIME to be profane/ curse/ swear or create problems in my room.

inreply to:'I would never mess around with such fluff and nonsense. "
:)Alrite that's what those kiddies need ..some decent guidance from some-one who won't tolerate bad behaviour ...right from the word go.

Kids these days>:(>:(....but seriously ....these type of children are being bred to do what as adults?

If swearing like a trooper is acceptable as a child/young person when are things like other forms of abuse and negligence going to be accepted or even encouraged?

If Britains leading the way with tolerating such bad behaviour from students what's next from those foggy Isles? :S

As much as I like to swear myself, if I were a teacher in high school, I wouldn't tolerate any students telling me "fuck you" in the classroom, or anywhere else on school property.

Now, that said, I don't care too much about nuns wielding those 3 foot long rulers and cracking them over offenders' knuckles, but that would be something I would consider, if some form of corporal punishment were still allowed. Hell, back in my day, corporal punishment worked wonders! Nobody mis-behaved in elementary and middle school! By the time I got to high school in the early to mid '80s, corporal punishment was outlawed, and everything went to hell. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

back in my day, corporal punishment worked wonders! Nobody mis-behaved in elementary and middle school! By the time I got to high school in the early to mid '80s, corporal punishment was outlawed, and everything went to hell.

You got that right! ;)
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

They had the Headmaster on the radio yesterday and he explained the full situation that the papers didn't let get in the way of a good story.

Apparently this rule applies only to a special class set up to deal with highly unruly children. There are around half a dozen to a dozen kids in the class. They swear constantly and have already been excluded from all their other classes on account of their behavior.

The Headmaster concluded that they weren't going to get the kids to move from swearing dozens of times per lesson to none all in one go so set a goal. That goal is initially 5 profanities per lesson before they're excluded and will be lowered as the class makes progress.

If they were simply excluded from class on their first swear word not only would they not spend long in class but quite quickly the class would be completely empty – these are problem kids remember. Score is kept on the board and each swear word is reprimanded but will only lead to exclusion if it is the 5th offence. The kids are not ever permitted to swear at anyone. That will result in instant exclusion according to the Head yesterday.

Man, just get a fucking ruler and whack their fucking little knuckles with it every time they say "fuck" or any other obscenity. Boy will that shut them the fuck up... :| :D

What we need is a return to corporal punishment in a sensible way. It worked before, and it'll work again, and damn the lawyers and psychologists who say it's damaging to them... :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

hey you fuck! fuck you, you fucking fucker!
am i out of class now? :)

No. That was only four f-words. But if you do it again, why, I'll give you a talking-to!

:D:D looking back at my last post, I only said "fuck" 4 times too, I'm still in class too! :D

Hate to tell you this, but that is supposed to be a Limiting five times. These kids swear like its a requirement, the teachers are powerless and the kids are rotten thanks to the lefty liberal wooly thinking that has rotted our society here in the UK for the last thirty years. Apparently this project is aimed not at all the kids but one class of hard nut low achievers in a slum school. Not that I think its a good idea.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca