DEA agent shoots himself in foot while giving a gun safety talk in school

...and then unbelievably carries on giving his "gun safety" seminar!

This HAS to be seen to be believed - it is one of the most ridiculous and stupid things i have ever seen. Thank god for video, it's a miracle he didn't kill someone.

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/680

The reason this is posted here is because of the many times people won't question those who are "trained professionals" about guns and their ability to use them appropriately. I guess that this proves if it can go wrong, it will, and we need to judge each and every individual situation on it's own merits.

Edited to add - quite why they allowed an "undercover" agent to be filmed in the first place is also lost on me :S

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I watched it and knew what happened instantly. He pulled back the slide and locked it open with a magazine still IN the weapon. Then as he should he showed the weapon to another person and attempted to verify it as a safe and empty weapon. The person he showed it to only looked in the chamber, and failed to see the magazine with rounds in it. The guy handling the gun then operated the slide released which chambered a ROUND!!! The second mistake was that accidentally operated the trigger, or worse pulled the triger without having it at a safe target, or a target which he intened to destroy. I do like the part where he continued the speech.

It's all OK, guns save lives.

Doctor, how can you work on a campus within eyesight of CHA projects and not feel the slightest unsafe at times? The AFROTC det at IIT that I graduated from advised people to not wander off campus at night unless you were going to a completely different area of town...

In Chicago I cannot, as a law-abiding citizen, carry a firearm (or even a Taser) to protect myself from law-flaunting criminals who have no problem accessing a weapon.

It's true-when guns are outlawed, only criminals will have them. I want some measure of protection, but Fuhrer Daley won't let me...I guess having several CPD Detectives as a personal security detail kinda skews one's perspective.

Now come on, what a GREAT practical demonstration complete with real blood!
Give the guy some props, at least he kept going..........

Shows even pros can fuck up. I been present during two accidental discharges. Both during building searches.:S

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

>I want some measure of protection . . .

As this incident has shown, guns can endanger as well as protect your life, even if you are a trained recognized expert. So while I agree that most people should be able to carry a weapon if they so choose, saying that a gun will protect you rather than hurt you is not really true.

As this incident has shown, guns can endanger as well as protect your life, even if you are a trained recognized expert.

I think it's pretty obvious he either wasn't trained properly, or was and is just an idiot. Pulling the trigger on any weapon, whether you think it's loaded or not while it's pointed at your foot is just stupid.

Guns don't endanger you life, being stupid and irresponsible with them does.

So while I agree that most people should be able to carry a weapon if they so choose, saying that a gun will protect you rather than hurt you is not really true.

A gun in the hands of someone who is trained properly, and handles a weapon safely, is much more likely to protect than cause harm.

>I think it's pretty obvious he either wasn't trained properly, or was and is just an idiot.

Nonetheless, he was a recognized expert in gun safety. It would be reassuring to tell yourself that you would never do such a stupid thing. But this happens in skydiving too - we see people who hook turn into the ground, forget to pull, screw up EP's etc. and tell ourselves we'll never do that. It's easy when they are 100 jump wonders. It's a lot harder when the person is Rob Harris.

Some people respond with "well, he was an idiot." I think most people, though, realize instead that skydiving is dangerous, and can kill you very quickly if you stop paying attention for even a second. Very similar to firearms in that respect.

>Guns don't endanger you life, being stupid and irresponsible with them does.

Of course. Nor do guns protect your life; using your brain, whether or not you have a gun, does. No gun has ever leapt from its holster and shot either its owner _or_ an intruder.

>A gun in the hands of someone who is trained properly, and handles
> a weapon safely, is much more likely to protect than cause harm.

Not always the case, as we have seen here.

As this incident has shown, guns can endanger as well as protect your life, even if you are a trained recognized expert. So while I agree that most people should be able to carry a weapon if they so choose, saying that a gun will protect you rather than hurt you is not really true.

Foundation lacking for that absolute conclusion.

Probably a reach to call him a "trained recognized expert" too. Those people don't chamber a round while doing a safety check.

Nor do guns protect your life;

So what you're saying is that if cops carried water pistols we'd all be safer?

Not always the case, as we have seen here.

Read it again.

A gun in the hands of someone who is trained properly, and handles a weapon safely, is much more likely to protect than cause harm.

The way this guy was handling that weapon was far from safe.

>So what you're saying is that if cops carried water pistols we'd all be safer?

Never said anything about cops or water pistols.

>The way this guy was handling that weapon was far from safe.

Agreed. Nonetheless, a gun even in the hands of a recognized expert can be harmful or deadly. In other words, even experts make mistakes. Even if you think you will never do something so stupid, there is a chance you will.

Again, that's true in both skydiving and firearms. How many people think "I will always open a parachute before impact?" How many people have cypres firings every year because they just plain forgot to pull? Clearly, some of them were mistaken, even those who are S+TA's and AFF-I's. That can be true of skydivers and handgun owners, as we've seen here.

>Where did you get this?

1) He was asked to give a talk on gun safety, meaning the person asking him recognized him as an expert in the field.

2) He claims he is an expert as well:
"I am the only one in this room professional enough that I know of to carry this Glock 40."

As stupid as this guy was for not clearing the gun, I don't see anything wrong with pulling the trigger of an EMPTY gun without having it pointed at a target I intend to destroy. People dryfire guns all the time inside their homes or at stores, gun shows ect. It is generraly considered good practice and recommended by some manufacturers. I am quite sure there is nothing in my house which I intend to destroy.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

<1) He was asked to give a talk on gun safety, meaning the person asking him recognized him as an expert in the field.

Bulllshit, but even if that were true one persons opinion does not qualify him as an expert
So if a person claims I am an expert on child care, that makes me an expert? That's quite a stretch Bill. This guy is obviously no expert, and I have yet to see where anyone except you claimed he was.

>2) He claims he is an expert as well:
"I am the only one in this room professional enough that I know of to carry this Glock 40."

Oops so there is two people claiming he is an expert? Although you are the first person I have ever heard claim Professional = Expert. That's is an even bigger stretch.

That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

>So if a person claims I am an expert on child care, that makes me an
>expert? That's quite a stretch Bill.

If you work at a child care agency, and a teacher comes to you and requests that you give a talk on child care to her class, then yes - you would be considered one.

>This guy is obviously no expert.

Why? Because he shot himself? Would you claim that Rob Harris is no expert at skydiving stunts because he died doing one? That Chris Martin was no expert on canopies because he died jumping one? That Patrick De Gayardon was no expert on wingsuits because he died jumping one?

The truth is that even experts screw up. If Rob Harris screwed up his emergency procedures, then you could too. If this guy can shoot himself in the thigh, then you could too. This is not something any gun proponent likes to admit, but guns are dangerous, and if you make a mistake with them, they can injure or kill you. And everyone - even experts, even you - can make mistakes.

As stupid as this guy was for not clearing the gun, I don't see anything wrong with pulling the trigger of an EMPTY gun without having it pointed at a target I intend to destroy. People dryfire guns all the time inside their homes or at stores, gun shows ect. It is generraly considered good practice and recommended by some manufacturers. I am quite sure there is nothing in my house which I intend to destroy.

my grandfather (a gunsmith, and firearms safety officer for more than 50 years) taught me these:

safety lesson 1: never point a gun at ANYTHING you are not prepared to shoot.

that one lesson can/does/could have prevented a large number of incidents....

assumption 1: it's always loaded. Check it everytime you pick it up, if its been out of your sight since the last time you checked it.

So if a person claims I am an expert on child care, that makes me an expert? That's quite a stretch Bill. This guy is obviously no expert.

How does one select an expert? A professional law enforcement person, who (as far as the school knows) has to certify in firearm handling yearly, will be closer to being an expert without an automatic agenda than either the local parole officer (who can probably refer one to a number of self-educated experts :P) or the NRA (who might be thought to have an agenda).

Or is it better simply never to invite people in. That way, you can be sure that you'll never invite anyone in who is less than perfect.

The "Eddie the Eagle" program from the NRA is a good one. But, ya know, I'd've thought that a law enforcement professional who agreed to give a talk on gun safety might just be qualified also. And that they might be mature enough to suggest someone else if they're not.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

my grandfather (a gunsmith, and firearms safety officer for more than 50 years) taught me these:

safety lesson 1: never point a gun at ANYTHING you are not prepared to shoot.

that one lesson can/does/could have prevented a large number of incidents....

assumption 1: it's always loaded. Check it everytime you pick it up, if its been out of your sight since the last time you checked it.

I was taught those things too.

And bill, shooting yourself in the foot in no way compares to the skydiving incidents you mentioned.

>If you work at a child care agency, and a teacher comes to you and requests that you give a talk on child care to her class, then yes - you would be considered one.

By who, that one Teacher? And Billvon? I have know idea if this Guy is considered and expert or not. You claimed he is and I wanted to know where you got that info from. All I have seen is that video. For all I know he was filling in at the last second for the real expert who was sick. I don't even know that this "Expert" was asked to give a gun safety seminar.
I have only seen the video which tell nothing about who he is and why he was there.

>Why? Because he shot himself?

Because of the way he handled himself the entire time including but not limited to shooting himself.