Is the US too litigious as a society?

I know we often read funny stories about people suing each other left right and centre in the US over things that seem relatively trivial, and simply as a way to make money.

We also know that the US takes it's rights of it's citizens very seriously, as we do, but there, it seems to equate a larger financial cache to people who might say trip on a slab of concrete as they walk along the pavement.
I saw this today and just thought "has the US become TOO litigious?". I know this isn't anything new, but i was wondering what you guys think about this story in particular. It smacks of nothing more than a legal insider trying to make a few bucks.

Again, nothing new there. Would society in the US as a whole be better off without this sort of massive financial gain from litigation suits? We can sue here sure, but it's for peanuts in terms of financial rewards, unless it's a very serious (miscarriage of justice sort of thing) high profile case.

Anyway have a look at this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4150893.stm

Also, how on earth can something like this stand up in court? Could the defence not just say "You should have turned the TV off?".

Edited to add: does anyone know WHEN and WHY the US went this way with regards to litigation suits? Did the legal industry drive it as a means to make $$$ galore? I don't remember this being such a big thing (multi million dollar litigiation cases) until the last few decades. What has driven things to go this way?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Edited to add: does anyone know WHEN and WHY the US went this way with regards to litigation suits? Did the legal industry drive it as a means to make $$$ galore?

When we as a society stopped taking responsibility for our own actions, and began to blame everyone but ourselves for our problems.

It is a sad copuntry when no one can stand up and take the rap for their own actions....

Guy shoots girl, guy goes to jail, guy sues gun company for making the weapon!!!!!
Yup.... It is the gun companies fault.

Woman eat fastfood, woman gets fat and dies of a heart attack, family sues fast food joint....

See where I am going with this?

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

Yes - but there must have been a landmark case/amedment to have this begin from somewhere surely?

Does anyone know more specifically about what could have instigated this sort of behaviour? I'm kind of interested to know the when and why things started to get this way, if you know what i mean.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Yes - but there must have been a landmark case/amedment to have this begin from somewhere surely?

Does anyone know more specifically about what could have instigated this sort of behaviour? I'm kind of interested to know the when and why things started to get this way, if you know what i mean.

We are a get-rich-quick society. That's why this crap works; that's also why people keep buying those get rich quick schemes.
This ad space for sale.

I think the problem is too many lawyers

That's probably part of the problem in some places:

"In rounded numbers, there are, 10,300 barristers admitted to practice before the bar of England and Wales (as of 1 March 2003) and 86,000 practicing solicitors as of that date, a total of 96,300 lawyers.

In comparison, on 1 March 2003, there were 191,000 lawyers admitted to the active practice of law in California, the population of which is approximately 40% of that of England and Wales."

That said... they may simply be catering to the demand of the populus... but given the number of ad's I see when I'm in california I guess it's probably a good bit of both.

Is the US too litigious as a society?

No....

By the way, anyone know the guy who's suing details to make this a class action suit? :D

you say no.... care to elaborate?
Just for the sake of open minded discussion?

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

The folks at Overlawyered.com think so.

You might want to drop the URL on their tip page.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Several things:

1) To answer the question in the title - yes.

2) This guy does not have an attorney. He filed it himself.

3) The guy won't offer comments unless it's a paid interview, which shows he's nothing but money hungry.

4) Litigious society is nothing new. The only thing that is new is information technology that lets everyone know how litigious we are.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

If you're basing your question on this singular incident, the clear answer is no.

This case won't last 10 minutes, and NBC is reaping nice publicity from it, the exact kind a show like Fear Factor desires.

This is the sort of easy PR that a desparate network (like NBC) might do.

The key problem with the type litigous environment you have in the US (which we unforunatley seem to follow more and more of down here in OZ) is the (often hidden) cost to society.

I remember working in Europe for a company selling industrial machinery to the US and we had to increase our prices to the US by abut 10% due to the very high product liability insurance cost. In the end it is the consumer who pays.

I think people are aware about the cost and problems in the health sector, but there are a lot of ther costs. Insurance, the judicial system etc.

I believe people should be able to achieve compensation for negligence, but things have to be within reason and people should be expected to take reasonable care themselves.

I remember a friend told me how his company (in Europe) was hit by a large suit when a young child opened a hearing aid they were producing and swallowed the battery. They were told they should have written a small warning on the aid and they would have been covered.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.