peacefuljeffrey

Would you watch this execution?

I was thinking, because something reminded me of record television viewing audiences, about something hypothetical.

Let's say, hypothetically, that we captured Osama Bin Laden.

And George W. Bush said that he would, on live international television, personally use a large knife to sever the head of this monster, in the same way as the Iraqi insurgents have been doing to abductees.

Do you think that this televised event would attract the largest-ever television audience for any single broadcast? (I don't know what currently holds the record -- help please if you do.)

Would you watch this happen, if it really did?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

"I don't know what currently holds the record -- help please if you do."

Somebody on telly said the Chinese Grand Prix may have that, but I can't find any sort of substantiation for the statement. I'd say the soccer world cup final would be a good contender, assuming we're talking about simultaneous international live broadcasts, and not the final epsiode of Friends.

As for the other question, nope.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Rough estimates I just found (yes I am that bored) said that the Chinese GP was expected to have around 1.4 billion viewers, the 2002 world cup final had around 1.1 billion and, surprisingly enough, any cricket match between India and Pakistan gets around 600 million.
There wasn't anything to back those up though so they coulda been made up.
Still, it's a hell of a lot more than the superbowl:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I would watch... And record it... And make copies sending it to every "watch list" terrorist... Let's terrorize them for a change...

I think they should tie him to a tree like a dog. Allow the families of anyone who lost someone in 911, Afghanistan or Iraq to stone him once a week. Stone him to near death.. Let him heal... Stone him again... Let him heal... Stone him again.. Let him heal... Nothing is to mean for that asshole... Do the same for any other terrorist we catch... Death is too good for them.........

"I don't know what currently holds the record -- help please if you do."

Somebody on telly said the Chinese Grand Prix may have that, but I can't find any sort of substantiation for the statement. I'd say the soccer world cup final would be a good contender, assuming we're talking about simultaneous international live broadcasts, and not the final epsiode of Friends.reply]

Well, on August 14, 1936, the last 'legal' public execution was when Rainey Bethea was hanged in Owensboro, Kentucky. It drew a crowd of 20,000 people, with families traveling for days on foot, horseback and wagon and train. It was a carnival atmosphere, with family picnics, games and sporting events.

Was it bloodlust that drew thousands of men, women and children plus hundreds of reporters and photographers? They didn't know at the time it would be the last one, they hung people (especially blacks) all the time.

It was the novelty of it. It was the first execution in the United States where the executioner was a woman.

So, I'm thinking that if 20,000 people travel for days to watch a novelty act in 1936, worldwide TV broadcast of a this specialty act would attract a few hundred million at the least.

Michael

I would watch... And record it... And make copies sending it to every "watch list" terrorist... Let's terrorize them for a change...

I think they should tie him to a tree like a dog. Allow the families of anyone who lost someone in 911, Afghanistan or Iraq to stone him once a week. Stone him to near death.. Let him heal... Stone him again... Let him heal... Stone him again.. Let him heal... Nothing is to mean for that asshole... Do the same for any other terrorist we catch... Death is too good for them.........

Could not have said it better myself. I think that once the families have had their revenge, they should charge everyone else $25 a rock to stone him and set up a fund for all the kids that lost parents in 9-11, served in the war, etc.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

>I think they should tie him to a tree like a dog . . .

I would like to believe we are better than the terrorists who do things like beheading people. And usually I think we are. Then I read stuff like this.

Not that I support Rhino's statement, but I think it's a more personal, specific sentiment targeted towards one person seen as responsible for an unprovoked attack and ensuing deaths, rather than a 'terrorist' mentality based on radical ideology targeting an entire nation.

OBL had better pray no one like Rhino is the one to capture him... and there are probably a great deal of folks, especially in the fighting forces, who feel the same way.

I'd like to see him brought to justice, tried, convicted, and executed. Torture is not what a good person or system would ever allow.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Why on earth would I watch it? Whom would it help? Not me, not families who are grieving, not enemies who might see my rejoicing in it as yet another sign of American inhumanity.

There are people who deserve to die. Unfortunately, people are bad and vengeful enough judges that sometimes we guess wrong.

OBL doesn't count, though :|. One on one, alone, I'd shoot him myself. But not for public entertainment; only to remove him from the gene pool.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

That doesn't seem very appropriate. I mean you could put him on the roof of a hundred storey building, set the top storeys on fire and let him choose to burn alive, jump or be crushed over then next hour or so.

Oh wait, we've already seen that on TV, yea it was pretty disgusting but we all watched in horror anyway.

In reality if this ever happens (seems unlikely) he'd be executed in private by the State he's tried in. Method of execution varies by State even for Federal cases. In the case of Timothy McVeigh they televised the execution to a private screening room for the families because there were so many victims involved. Unfortunately they would require many, many rooms for Osama's sendoff.

P.S. You'll probably get a show out of Saddam's execution. Not sure I'll watch, maybe out of morbid curiosity, I did watch the fate of some of the captives in Iraq. Very brutal and quite sick the way they try to imply moral equivalence by giving their victims orange jumpsuits.

No I wouldn't watch it, i think that would be fucked up. Is OBL a sicko for 911? Sure! But is he any more a sicko than the US intelligence guys that targeted a Serbian TV station killing without warning alot of civilian reporters and technical staff. I don't think so, its just a matter of numbers. The TV station it was claimed was just a propergander machine of the enemy. The WTC the enemy would argue was just an economical target of the enemy. Both acts are equaly fucked up and one person cutting anothers head off in the name of a cause is just as bad as the enemy doing the same. But interesting question Peaceful, BTW....When did you last take a vacation dude? :P
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I wouldn't watch it either Wendy. I watched part of one of those beheadings and it was just to much for me.

I also wouldn't want hime executed the way most of our prisoners are these days, he's to much of an asshole to just put to sleep.

I would also like to plug him myself>:(

That would require about 10 rounds and a couple of hours to accomplish tho ;)

These are some seriously f*cked up responses to a seriously f*cked up question.

I guess you regard certain thoughts as "dangerous," huh?

Do you ever get an itch to try to "control" or "eliminate" those thoughts from others' minds? :S Or are you accepting of the fact that not everyone thinks as you do?

What's wrong with asking a hypothetical question?

Your response is seriously fucked up in the sense of being realllly judgmental. Are you better than those who gave the "fucked up" responses? Are you better than me, since I asked the "fucked up" question?

I'm glad I'm not someone who gets scared by scary things being asked hypothetically. I surely am. I'm glad I dare to cross the "normal" lines of thinking.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Why on earth would I watch it? Whom would it help? Not me, not families who are grieving, not enemies who might see my rejoicing in it as yet another sign of American inhumanity.

There are people who deserve to die. Unfortunately, people are bad and vengeful enough judges that sometimes we guess wrong.

OBL doesn't count, though :|. One on one, alone, I'd shoot him myself. But not for public entertainment; only to remove him from the gene pool.

Wendy W.

Look, I thought I made it pretty clear that it was a *hypothetical* question... No one is going to hold people to their answers, or force them to account for them. I just couldn't help but think that the notion of televising such a thing as this kind of fits with the nation's mentality, to some degree. We have been subject to all this "reality t.v." nonsense, to the point where people seem to care more about who Donald Trump is going to "fire" than they do about their own lives.

I took a moment to consider people's reaction to the idea of the President, "representing America," (I know that'll get 'em hoppin'!) executing America's biggest, most hated enemy personally. I was thinking of it in a sort of Andy-Warhol-ish way, like a study of pop culture and fascination with the macabre/morbid. Like those websites with the pictures of dead people from murders and accidents and such.

I never said that a purpose would be served. But Wendy, since you asked what would it benefit, I ask you, what does watching "Everybody Loves Raymond" benefit a person? Nothing. Still, millions of people do it.

So obviously, "Whom would it help?" is not a standard to which we hold our television viewing practices.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

I agree that no punishment is too harsh for the mastermind behind such a horrific slaughter of innocents. But I have to ask:

What would be the point of televising/watching it? Catharsis? An example for would-be followers? What could you hope to get from either? Sure, he deserves to die (if you believe in capital punishment), but what does society get (constructively) from getting to watch?

Or is it like slowing down to see a car wreck? I am not definitively stating there would be no benefit; I am just curious as to what people think that benefit would be.

Edited to add: "I was composing this post as PJ posted the above"...
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

I wouldn't watch it either Wendy. I watched part of one of those beheadings and it was just to much for me.

I chose not to watch any of those beheadings for a while, and then just randomly decided to watch one after a number of them had occurred. This one was one of the Nepalese workers who were abducted, like 12 altogether? They shot some of them, and the video showed that and the beheading of another one, who was lying on his back with his hands bound behind him. It was disturbing, yes. I didn't enjoy it -- had not expected to. It was something I think I subconsciously was forcing myself to watch, because I think that until you understand death, or at least come to a point of acquaintanceship/acceptance of it, you have not fully lived. This is a reality we will all have to face. Many of our deaths will be either less, or more, hideous and painful than theirs were. But I don't believe in hiding from death, that's the main thing, and it's why I watched that one video. It did not make me go out and seek the others. I haven't and probably won't. But it did make a rather strong impression on me, and filled me with disgust at the people who do this kind of thing. And I definitely draw a strong distinction between them and "us," because when we do kill, we don't do it out of spite, malice, or a wish to terrorize. We kill when we must, not when it suits our goals. Some may disagree with that all they want, and claim that we're imperialist pigs or whatever, but you won't likely convince me, because if the U.S. were truly out to conquer the world, we'd have been doing it already, and we'd have a lot more real estate than we have now, and we'd have colonies springing up all over the place. We may go to unstable parts of the world and try to give things a push in the right direction, but when we do that, the direction we push in is toward "our kind" of FREEDOM, with democratically elected representatives, and the prosperity that comes from joining up with the rest of the world in a devopmental sense. We don't go into other countries and put them under a yoke.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

"And I definitely draw a strong distinction between them and "us," because when we do kill, we don't do it out of spite, malice, or a wish to terrorize. We kill when we must, not when it suits our goals."

Ah, there's the rub, and an entirely different thread methinks.

Here's a litmus test for you PJ, OBL will be caught sooner or later, I hope and indeed believe thats inevitable.
Would you be upset/disappointed if he were tried and sentenced in a country that does not support the death penalty?
Or if he were to be tried in the US, would you be disappointed if his execution was not televised or recorded for your delectation?
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Here's a litmus test for you PJ, OBL will be caught sooner or later, I hope and indeed believe thats inevitable.
Would you be upset/disappointed if he were tried and sentenced in a country that does not support the death penalty?
Or if he were to be tried in the US, would you be disappointed if his execution was not televised or recorded for your delectation?

I definitely want to have him executed. I don't care one way or another whether I get to watch. Actually I'd rather not. Told you folks already I don't groove on watching death.

Never heard of "delectation," though. Is that a real word?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

"delectation

n 1: a feeling of extreme pleasure or satisfaction; "his delight to see her was obvious to all" [syn: delight] 2: act of receiving pleasure from something [syn: enjoyment]"

I didn't mean your delectation in particular, more the public at large.

I'm not for the death penalty (no surprises there?), but in this instance I wouldn't squeal too loudly over it.

I reckon you guys need this guy dead to aid the healing from 9/11. Broadcasting his execution would be a bad PR move, IMO.

You've changed.
--------------------