ltdiver

USA is the World's SOB!

Well, it began way -before- the Iraqi invasion. They even celebrated against us in Australia's Olympics 4 years ago.

Why The World Cheers When The U.S.A. loses!

ltdiver

HHmmm

didnt look that way when the US mens Bball team played China:o
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Why'd Erroll bring up a 4 year old thread about something that happened 8 years ago? Oh yeah, just to follow the maturation of Phelps. Not to bash the current Olympians.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

>It happens by getting out there, something most Americans don't get
>to experience because they can't afford it or are just too busy working and
>trying not to lose their homes.

I agree with the rest of your post, but the idea that americans are so poor that they can't get out of their country is a bit much.

I agree with the rest of your post, but the idea that americans are so poor that they can't get out of their country is a bit much.

Based on the current economy... and how many people live paycheck to paycheck.. I could believe that to a point.

Then again.. I have met a LOT of insular people who have no desire whatsoever to go beyond our own borders:S:S

Whatever the reason Americans don't travel much is a real pity. I always try to go out of my way to americans that I do meet that travel as so few do and it should be encouraged, so if they go back with good stories maybe others will try it and open their minds to the world outside their own country too.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Most Americans simply don't have the exposure to other countries, languages, cultures, etc. because of geographic isolation, and for no other reason.

Funny how the Australians and Kiwis manage to travel the world in vast numbers yet are further away from Europe by hours and hours and oh my grief am I still on this feckin plane hours and hours further away than the US is. Your argument doesn't hold water.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

>It happens by getting out there, something most Americans don't get
>to experience because they can't afford it or are just too busy working and
>trying not to lose their homes.

Well, whenever you visit Arkansas, you'll see a lot of people who don't have enough money to leave Arkansas, much less the US. You probably bring in more money in a month than most of my neighbors do in a year....REALLY. It's just reality. And when food and shelter are really things people reckon with every month, then the big picture gets skewed. Unfortunately there are too many people in that situation.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Whatever the reason Americans don't travel much is a real pity. I always try to go out of my way to americans that I do meet that travel as so few do and it should be encouraged, so if they go back with good stories maybe others will try it and open their minds to the world outside their own country too.

Is it really true that Americans don't travel as much as other people? I'd like to see some figures on that.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Whatever the reason Americans don't travel much is a real pity.

We don't get much in the way of vacation. Some people don't get paid vacation at all. Many of us "officially" have two weeks but there's too much work that needs doing to actually take them.

I took one day off last year for my anniversary and a day off for my aniversarry the year before that. While we did get out of the country for those long three day weekends, it had to be to Canada because Europe was too far away.

My wife and I ran into a British chap in Amsterdam when we were on our honey moon, which was the longest vacation either of us had taken (A full WEEK of work with both weekends!). We talked about how little vacation we got compared to Europeans (3 weeks annually at the time, although it was never a good time to take it) and he thought that wasn't even enough to start relaxing.

Is it really true that Americans don't travel as much as other people? I'd like to see some figures on that.

I think Americans tend to travel internally more, or to closer destinations such as Mexico or the Bahamas.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Based on the current economy... and how many people live paycheck to paycheck.. I could believe that to a point.

Then again.. I have met a LOT of insular people who have no desire whatsoever to go beyond our own borders:S:S

I think it's a natural human tendency to not want to "leave the Shire", but again, geography also plays a critical role.

And Billvon, that's easy for you to say. You and Amy have both earned what you have, but most folks ain't quite so lucky (or smart).

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Most Americans simply don't have the exposure to other countries, languages, cultures, etc. because of geographic isolation, and for no other reason.

Funny how the Australians and Kiwis manage to travel the world in vast numbers yet are further away from Europe by hours and hours and oh my grief am I still on this feckin plane hours and hours further away than the US is. Your argument doesn't hold water.

"vast numbers"? Come on.

Note also that those are far smaller and (I'm willing to bet) more affluent societies. GDP figures, anyone?

Still, I'd blame a lot of it on the US education system (and the perputation of parental stupidity in our society that enables it). People who can't read, write or perform simple math getting high school diplomas. I'm glad I actually got some eduation in the USA before it was colossally dumbed down. >:(

I've said it before: although I don't have kids, if I did, they would attend private schools or be home-schooled. They'd get a real education in the absence of NEA liberal pablum, and that would include both geography AND travel.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

It's also easier and cheaper for Europeans to travel. They can also get to see a lot of history and art in a relatively small area and experience many different languages close to home.

The Southern hemisphere folks do seem to have itchy feet and do come here in big numbers. They don't have to be rich to do so , as they often work here for a period... maybe they just have the get up and go and desire to see the world that others may not have to the same level?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

>Well, whenever you visit Arkansas, you'll see a lot of people who
>don't have enough money to leave Arkansas, much less the US.

I have no doubt that there are some very poor people in the US. But when I compare it to some other places I've been (Africa, China) we have a lot more money overall, and a lot more people have it. And when I hear about what some Chinese people do to get from the provinces to Dongguan to work for a few years - it makes me think that it's unlikely that most people in the US cannot afford to travel. Even if they have to take a bus.

I don’t think there is one answer. I think it is a combination of things.

We work work, and work. I have had ten days vacation in the past 4 years. I have not even been back to see my family in Iran because I can not take more then 5 days of at a time.

Our standard of living is high and it is easy for most of us to live beyond are means. So we stretch out our income as much as we can. ($3000 TV $30 bucks a month Great !) that stuff adds up.
We dispose of our disposable income very quickly we have many options.

Geography works both ways. Yes we are far away from Europe but we also have every thing in the US (maybe not the exact same thing). We have deserts, mountains, Lakes, oceans and you can live anywhere you want. Also the Caribbean is very close. I personally have no desire to go to Europe not because I hate it but just because there are so many other places I would rather go first.

Also when you are very comfortable you don’t always feel the need to move as much.
The major issue is always work, time, and money
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

> I don’t think there is one answer. I think it is a combination of things.

I agree.

To sum up a lot of your post, we all have different priorities (the $3000 TV, the desire to work.) That, to me, seems a little different than, say, Anabo's issues (guy I knew in Africa.) To him, a trip to see another country would involve about a week of walking (and hitchhiking if he was lucky.) To us, it would be a $1000 expense on the credit card we'd have to pay off and a week off work.

Both people might well choose not to make the trip, and that's fine. But it seems like to us it's more of a choice than an insurmountable effort.

>

Jezze you folk need to put your foot down with your bosses.. Work/Life balance mate - 10 days off in 4 years is just not acceptable to us - get a grip:P.

I'm self employed so don't get paid holiday - but take upto 6 weeks EVERY year. You need this time to recharge your batteries and have some YOU time.

America Open your eyes.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Anabo's issues (guy I knew in Africa.) To him, a trip to see another country would involve about a week of walking (and hitchhiking if he was lucky.) To us, it would be a $1000 expense on the credit card we'd have to pay off and a week off work.

Both people might well choose not to make the trip, and that's fine. But it seems like to us it's more of a choice than an insurmountable effort.

I agree, but there is an old Iranian saying.

The shoe or the foot. The story is two men in different parts of the world are feeling equal sadness. One because he has lost his foot, the other because he has lost his shoe.

The point is what we consider normal depends on what is normal around us. I bet if everyone in the US could never have afforded cars we all would be riding bikes, and would think that was fine.

For a lot of the world not going hungry is considered having a great day, at the same time some of us are pissed that we can’t do ten jumps a weekend.

>

Jezze you folk need to put your foot down with your bosses.. Work/Life balance mate - 10 days off in 4 years is just not acceptable to us - get a grip:P.

I'm self employed so don't get paid holiday - but take upto 6 weeks EVERY year. You need this time to recharge your batteries and have some YOU time.

America Open your eyes.

And I come from a culture that plays more then works.

It’s weird cause I want to say I have no choice, but I know I do. The difference however is this. Because most Americans work just as hard or harder it makes it very difficult to make a stand. Making a stand would mean getting fired over and over again, and eventually you would become unemployable.

We all need to change it together.