jlmiracle

Al-Qaeda BEHEADED U.S. Contractor

Kill them all.... Kill the mother fuckers...

Don't you realize that the terrorists are thinking the exact same thing?

Look, I was filled with one hundred percent utter disgust and anger when I first read this in the news today. As Michele points out, I can't understand the mentality of a person who would do such a thing.

Frankly, though, I can't understand the mentality of a person who would make prisoners pose in the sort of pictures that came from the prison, or rape them, or murder them either. As I see it, the United States is fast losing its claim to moral high ground, and the worst thing that could happen is for us to get into a pissing contest with these terrorists. [:/]
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

How soon you forget. Once the WMD rationale for the invasion collapsed, the administration did an abrupt about-face and "liberating" Iraq from a brutal tyranny became the reason.

You don't liberate a people by killing them all. Who would be left to welcome you in the streets with garlands of flowers as promised?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I know all you "kick some ass" military people out there do not think so, but.......the US is about to loose total control of Iraq, it is only a matter of time.

We need to hand control over to the UN and get most of our people out and let them sweat it out. It is not turn and run mentality, it is a business decision and smart chess move.

Why do you think the Iraqis give a sh*t about the UN? The UN has done nothing to help them for the atrocities of Hussein in the past.

NATO is not equipped politically, or militarily to augment the coalition in Iraq. Individual states, acting on their own initiative are can't do much more (except Britain and France) if they wanted to. European armies have been shrinking and the US will not place its troops under a blue helmet.

It's not a chess move, it is a cut-and-run, and we (US) did that in 91. We're not doing it again (I hope).
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Liveandive said...
At the risk of sounding a bit coarse prejudiced, I can't get too worked up about this incident. An independent American Iraqi businessman 26 y/o Muslim went into an active war zone hoping to get rich on a fat contract. He had to have known the risks, especially considering his lack of security.

Interesting when a word is changed here and there, but the sentiment remains the same.

It's unfortunate he ended up on the wrong side of the odds. I feel for his loved ones and I hope his death was reasonably quick.

The wrong side of the odds? WTF? Please. Spare me the "he deserved it" bit. Spare me the "gamble" bit.

By the way, his death, while reasonably quick, took at least 3 or 4 hacks with a long blade before his screams stopped. Something about 30 seconds or so. And there is no indication that he died at that point...his larynx may have been severed...and it took a while for the person hacking at Berg's neck to finish. So while "reasonably quick", it wasn't a guillotine, it wasn't fast, and it certainly wasn't painless. It was grusome, inhuman, and absolutely atrocious.

Jakee, the psychos such as Ted Bundy, Ed Guin, and various others did do heinous, dispicable acts. Most of the time, they were done singularly (not a team of 6-7 standing around); most of the time, there wasn't a political reason behind it; and most of the time, it wasn't a war zone. I understand your thought, but I do NOT understand the mentality capable of doing something like this.

This is NOT about the prison. This is pure politics, pure rallying. If it were about the prison, the head of AQ in the area would not have been bothered dirtying his hands like this; it would've been done by underlings, by people who, if caught, don't matter as much. The risk he took in doing this (even tangentially, as in not hacking Nic Berg's head off) is huge, and is done for a point. This is propaganda, this is political posturing, and absolutely is a rallying cry. From what I know, and I could be wrong, Zarqari is a Jordanian national, was not part of the heirarchy of 9/11, and has been working tangentially w/ AQ via Ansar Al Islam. Guess who was in Faluja??? Ansar Al Islam. All about politics. All about terrorism. All about fear. Nothing about "retribution" for abuses in a prison.

This will be a dicey summer.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Liveandive said...
At the risk of sounding a bit coarse prejudiced, I can't get too worked up about this incident. An independent American Iraqi businessman 26 y/o Muslim went into an active war zone hoping to get rich on a fat contract. He had to have known the risks, especially considering his lack of security.

Interesting when a word is changed here and there, but the sentiment remains the same.

On top of what Michele noted, I've seen nothing indicating Nick Berg's nationality, religion or previous experience (it was his second trip to Iraq).
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

and the worst thing that could happen is for us to get into a pissing contest with these terrorists.

You have got to be fucking kidding me. That means the terrorists will have won. What makes you think we are not already in it (a pissing contest)? What makes you think that if we were to pull out of Iraq, we would not still be it it? Al Quaeda and other terrorists do not really give a fuck about Iraq. All they care about is destroying the American infidels. We are in a giant pissing contest dude, and one of the things that bothers me is that some people don't really give a shit if they get pissed on or not. I'll bet Mr. Berg's parents give a shit. I give a shit.

An independent American businessman went into an active war zone hoping to get rich on a fat contract. He had to have known the risks, especially considering his lack of security. It's unfortunate he ended up on the wrong side of the odds.

Well if you read some of the other articles about it, it's ouf fault the odds hit him. He hadn't been able to find work and was preparing to come back home. Then, he was detained by Iraqi security forces and then tured over to our military. We kept him in jail until we determined why he was over there. By the time they released him, it was after when he was planning to come home, and after the shit hit the fan over there. Right after he was released is when he was kidnapped.

It's amazing to me -- though not surprising -- that you would find some twisted way of making this out to be the fault of the American military. I guess we should blame his great grandparents for having his grandparents for having his parents for having him, since if he was never born he could never have been murdered.

If he had not gone there in the first place, the military would never have had him in custody in the first place, etc. etc.

I myself am personally tired of our stance that we have to hold ourselves "morally" above what our enemies will do. The big problem is that they KNOW we can't stomach the idea of really fucking them up big-time, so they get away with...well...murder.

Scare the living shit out of your enemy by showing just how badly you'll fuck them up -- I mean take prisoners, cut off all arms and legs and sew them up and drop them in the street to be found by their cohorts -- and they may think twice about messing with you. But let it be known far and wide that your own people will tear themselves apart with infighting about how some scumbag prisoners (who probably are prisoners because they hurt or killed our people, or were at least trying to, in the first place), and they will know they have you by the balls.

Face it. The world is brought down and sickened by this plague of so-called Muslims -- and while it may be "impossible" to separate the good peaceful ones from the shitwad murderous zealot ones, it seems that this type of anti-freedom, anti-American, anti-anything-not-Islam attitude pervades just about the whole of the culture.

They hide behind a religion that they claim is based on peace, which is meaningless bullshit when we see that they certainly don't LIVE by a code of peace. Time to strip them of their facade of religiousness and just call them what they are -- extremist, zealot, murderers.

And then deal with them as such.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Don't you realize that the terrorists are thinking the exact same thing?

Look, I was filled with one hundred percent utter disgust and anger when I first read this in the news today. As Michele points out, I can't understand the mentality of a person who would do such a thing.

Frankly, though, I can't understand the mentality of a person who would make prisoners pose in the sort of pictures that came from the prison, or rape them, or murder them either. As I see it, the United States is fast losing its claim to moral high ground, and the worst thing that could happen is for us to get into a pissing contest with these terrorists. [:/]

Um, who said that we universally have to care about this useless "moral high ground"? What's wrong with saying, "Fuck the moral high ground, let's just defend our lives and our way of life from those who would destroy it, and whatever means we must use to do that, we use."

Moral high ground. Such bleeding from your sensitive hearts!... Fuck the moral aspects, we need to fight to defend ourselves, and that is completely moral.

-
-Jeffrey

It's amazing to me -- though not surprising -- that you would find some twisted way of making this out to be the fault of the American military.

Come on, bro. You should know by now that everything is the military and Republicans fault. Those comments are carbon copies of everything else posted by him.

Forty-two

I know all you "kick some ass" military people out there do not think so, but.......the US is about to loose total control of Iraq, it is only a matter of time.

We need to hand control over to the UN and get most of our people out and let them sweat it out. It is not turn and run mentality, it is a business decision and smart chess move.

Why do you think the Iraqis give a sh*t about the UN? The UN has done nothing to help them for the atrocities of Hussein in the past.

NATO is not equipped politically, or militarily to augment the coalition in Iraq. Individual states, acting on their own initiative are can't do much more (except Britain and France) if they wanted to. European armies have been shrinking and the US will not place its troops under a blue helmet.

It's not a chess move, it is a cut-and-run, and we (US) did that in 91. We're not doing it again (I hope).

I do not know or care if the Iraqi people think differently about the UN troops. I do know if the US moves out, they will move in and if they do not, who cares-I do not give a damn about any Iraqi people myself. I care about America and our people who should not be there. Iraq is not worth all of this. No army has ever taken that part of the world from those desert rats and it proved to be a waist of life, money and time-all for nothing! If the US pulls out, the UN will take over or the other countries-who hate Iraqis too by the way-will invade and take over. Either way, I do not care. But what is happening now will unite all Arabs, and that is bad. Saddam was no threat before and America has been lied to.

And this is not a "turn and run" idea. It's a Lets-get-the-fuck-outa-here because these people are not worth the effort, time, money and loss of American life. Or do you think inside every Iraqi man, woman and child an American is trying to get out?;)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

And the reason the UN did not remove Saddam from power in 91 was to aviod all this crap we are dealing with now. This is a huge nightmare.

Maybe America should put Saddam back in power just to get things in order over there! :P

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

And the reason the UN did not remove Saddam from power in 91 was to aviod all this crap we are dealing with now. This is a huge nightmare.

Maybe America should put Saddam back in power just to get things in order over there! :P

Well, if nothing else, it would give the U.S. the opportunity to show everyone what a favor we did for the Iraqi people by deposing him. As soon as secret police started abducting and torturing political prisoners and others again, that is. Or when the "elite republican guard" started gassing more of the Iraqi people, that is. These Iraqis who are fighting this "insurrection" against American troops -- they might not have been the same scumbags who were evil to their own people before Saddam was removed, hmm? Maybe they're more of Saddam's men, who just dropped out of sight for a while when it was not in vogue to be one of Saddam's men.

So if we let Saddam take over again in Iraq, we could watch him for signs of developing WMD and then when we had PROOF, we could accost France and Germany and the rest who felt that Iraq should be left alone and say, "Pony up, you pussies -- it's your turn to foot the fuckin' bill for getting rid of this piece of shit!"

It'd be great entertainment!

-
-Jeffrey

Me thinks I said that in a previous thread. Cut him loose and sit back and watch the gameB| And godamnit people who the fuck kept SH in power and supplied him w/ all hidden WMD?( to fuck w/ Iran) the fukin Easter Bunny?( AKA the USA) and while whe're at it what about the Bush/ Saudi connection. The weapons of war, the military machine, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ only thing keeps this country strong. And us poor taxpayers are footing the bill and watching our children die . I used to be hard core but I've had enough. Stay out of the big conflicts. Let the clandestine people take care of business
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

So Turtlespeed, I have to ask - do you feel Tunaplanet should be considered liable for a violation of the Geneva Convention for posting that video, as you claimed in the "geneva convention" thread? Should this video be supressed? Or are there different rules for news that supports your position?

Moral high ground. Such bleeding from your sensitive hearts!... Fuck the moral aspects, we need to fight to defend ourselves, and that is completely moral.

Some of the suggestions from people on this thread who don't care about the moral high ground

1)Nuke the insurgents
2)Nuke the midle east
3)Fuel air explosives in the middle of cities
4)Let the marines run around killing anyone they see
5)Let the marines electrocute prisoners just for the hell of it (some people seem to have a really low opinion of the marines, don't ya think?)

Wow, call me a bleeding heart liberal but I don't see how those are going to help our position. Sure, combat casualties might drop in Iraq, but I'd hate to live in an American city for the next 10 years or so.

As for defending yourselves, we invaded the damned country! Its not exactly a surprise that some people are going to be fighting the coalition. There should be legitimate tactics in place for this kind of fighting that do not involve inordinately high numbers of civilian casualties.
If we give up the moral high ground we will be worse than Hussein, at least he was a malicious dictator in his own country.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Jakee, the psychos such as Ted Bundy, Ed Guin, and various others did do heinous, dispicable acts. Most of the time, they were done singularly (not a team of 6-7 standing around); most of the time, there wasn't a political reason behind it; and most of the time, it wasn't a war zone. I understand your thought, but I do NOT understand the mentality capable of doing something like this.

AQ is certainly the kind of organisation that would tend to bring evil buggers together in the same place though isn't it. But of course in another place at another time some of them may have been normal people. For those that say society alone can't produce people that twisted then read up on the Rwandan genocide, or the child soldiers used in various african civil wars.

This is NOT about the prison. This is pure politics, pure rallying.

And what is their rallying point? American abuses. They need a tangible reason to fight against the US. The rhetoric of the American devil is good enough as far as it goes but this is specific, this is personal, the prison abuses can be used to show exactly how evil all westerners are.

All about politics. All about terrorism. All about fear. Nothing about "retribution" for abuses in a prison.

When he say's its about retribution then it becomes about retribution. Thats politics.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Me thinks I said that in a previous thread. Cut him loose and sit back and watch the gameB| And godamnit people who the fuck kept SH in power and supplied him w/ all hidden WMD?( to fuck w/ Iran) the fukin Easter Bunny?( AKA the USA) and while whe're at it what about the Bush/ Saudi connection. The weapons of war, the military machine, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ only thing keeps this country strong. And us poor taxpayers are footing the bill and watching our children die . I used to be hard core but I've had enough. Stay out of the big conflicts. Let the clandestine people take care of business

Bush needs to eat some major crow.

It was the hubris of his administration that got us into this mess. Enough hubris for ten Greek tragedies.

What has Bush achieved?

Are the Iraqi people safer? No
Is the US better off? No
Did we "know where they are"? No
Are our troops greeted as liberators? No
Has the price of gas gone down? No
Have we weakened Al Qaeda? No
Have we helped AQ's recruiting of new terrorists? Yes
Do we look like the "white hats"? No
Do we look like lying hypocrites? Yes
Are we in a quagmire looking more like Vietnam every day? Yes

Just like the Iran hostage crisis some 25 years ago, I don't think this will be resolved until a new president is elected. Bush is simply incapable and the hubris issue remains.

I hate to say this ;) but some of us predicted this operation would be a mistake well over a year ago.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I don't here you crying out for CNN etc to give equal airtime to the deaths of Iraqi civilians at the hands of the coalition as they do to coalition deaths... a bit lopsided to me...
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Agreed - the leadership has to go. Military might is going to get the US into deep shit. There is noway that a country can behave like a bully forever and be safe.

Not least the US military suppress/kill all dissenters option makes them sound like a repressive regime /rogue state with WMD's - imagine that [:/]
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

It's time to throw the ROE's out the window and let the Marines inflict some pain. Serious, no kidding, pound-me-in-the-ass pain.

Mr. Car Battery, meet Mr. Testicle.

If you're serious, that's about the most naive thing I've ever heard.

Tell you what, I'll let you figure it out.

Seriously, though, how does this not outrage the entire world? Are there civilized people out there that think this is acceptible? And if not, why aren't other countries jumping up and saying "enough is enough"?