jlmiracle

Al-Qaeda BEHEADED U.S. Contractor

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- An al Qaeda-linked Web site posted video Tuesday of a man who identified himself as an American and then was beheaded.

His captors said the United States refused to exchange him for prisoners in the Abu Ghraib prison.

"For the mothers and wives of American soldiers, we tell you that we offered the U.S. administration to exchange this hostage for some of the detainees in Abu Ghraib, and they refused," a hooded man standing behind the American says in Arabic.

"So we tell you that the dignity of the Muslim men and women in Abu Ghraib and others is not redeemed except by blood and souls. You will not receive anything from us but coffins after coffins, slaughtered in this way."

At the beginning of the tape, the victim describes himself as Nicholas Berg from Pennsylvania.

"My name is Nic Berg. My father's name is Michael. My mother's name is Suzanne. I have a brother and a sister -- David and Sarah," the man says.

"I live in West Chester, Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia."

He is then shown sitting in front of five hooded men. After the statement is read by one of the men, the victim is pushed to the floor and, amid his screams, his throat is cut. One of the captors then holds up the man's severed head.

"This shows the true nature of the enemies of freedom," White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters. "They have no regard for the lives of innocent men, women and children."

Berg's family told The Associated Press that they knew he had been decapitated but weren't aware of the details.

"I knew he was decapitated before," his father, Michael Berg, told the AP. "That manner is preferable to a long and torturous death. But I didn't want it to become public."

Suzanne Berg said her son was in Iraq as an independent businessman with a desire to help rebuild communication antennas.

"He had this idea that he could help rebuild the infrastructure," she told the AP.

Earlier in the day, the State Department identified the body of an American found Monday in Baghdad as that of Nicholas Berg of Pennsylvania.

Berg was not a soldier or a civilian employee of the Pentagon, the State Department said.

A senior State Department official also said that the decapitated body of an American had been found, but he could not confirm it was Berg.

The Web site said the killing had been carried out by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of an Islamist terrorist group that has claimed responsibility for numerous attacks on coalition forces in Iraq.

Nick Berg was due leave Iraq on March 30, his family said.
The voice on the tape could not be verified as that of al-Zarqawi.

The video was discovered as a U.S. Senate committee heard testimony on the U.S. military investigation into abuse of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib. (Full story)

Earlier Tuesday, U.S. military officials said American soldiers have killed 13 Iraqi militia loyal to renegade Shiite Muslim cleric Muqtada al-Sadr and have detained 14 others in overnight fighting near Najaf.

Late Monday, members of al-Sadr's Mehdi Army attempted to ambush a U.S. convoy with small-arms fire. No American forces were injured in the incident.

The U.S. military began an offensive Sunday to retake control of parts of the city, reclaiming the governor's palace from al-Sadr's control.

Al-Sadr, who is wanted in connection with the killing of a rival cleric last year, launched an uprising against U.S. troops in April. Since then, coalition forces have cracked down on the cleric's strongholds while trying to avoid religious sites.

Al-Sadr is believed to be in Najaf, where his militia remains in control of much of the Shiite holy city. He travels to nearby Kufa to deliver weekly sermons Fridays.

edit: source CNN
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Oh, such a brave act by glorious soldiers of Islam! Allah will be most pleased!

mh

ps - For the clueless - that was sarcasm.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Oh, such a brave act by glorious soldiers of Islam! Allah will be most pleased!

mh

ps - For the clueless - that was sarcasm.

One step up from the monkeys -

How can you even give human rights to that type of person? Don't one have to have humanity in the first place to deserve the rights that called human rights?

Yes - this is an angry response and this is shot from the hip.

What year is this?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yes - this is an angry response and this is shot from the hip.

I'm with ya. I'm so pissed off right now, I don't think I would care if we made the whole f-ing country go naked. (still very very angry).

Judy

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

>It's time to throw the ROE's out the window and let the Marines inflict
>some pain. Serious, no kidding, pound-me-in-the-ass pain. Mr. Car
>Battery, meet Mr. Testicle.

And prove we are no better than them?

We need to get in there and help the Iraqis (you know, the freedom-loving people we liberated) find these criminals and bring them to justice, via the system of government we created there. And if the Iraqis want to behead all of them, great. If not - well, it's their country, not ours.

This will continue to happen. At best, a year from now, we will receive assurances that the villians will be brought to justice, and a few days later they will be caught, tried and (hopefully) executed by the new Iraqi government. We would do better to work our hardest to make sure that day comes than torture a bunch more civilians.

It's time to throw the ROE's out the window and let the Marines inflict some pain. Serious, no kidding, pound-me-in-the-ass pain.

Mr. Car Battery, meet Mr. Testicle.

The My Lai massacre was a reponse like yours. Hardly a great day for the USA, was it?

The USA had the moral high ground in 2001. If the USA cannot keep the moral high ground (and that is looking more and more unlikely every day) then what is the justification for being there in the first place?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'd say one step down.

How can you even give human rights to that type of person? Don't one have to have humanity in the first place to deserve the rights that called human rights?

Hear the sound of the left demanding to find out who. Hear the outrage, nada.

Well he was probably a conservative, so what difference does it make to them.

As far as the rebuke from the left -

When the islamists were killing the jews and the jews spoke up - the left did not support them - they would have to be in favor of the war then. That would not fit the political agenda so - Human Rights are as selective as thier memories.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

I rarely get involved with these repetitive PGR threads, but this one made me want to chime in. This is a cowardly act in the most severe degree. I hope we respond with swift justice.

If you want to see the video, here is a link to it. The site is one of our talk radio hosts own website. He feels it's neccessary for everyone to see first hand how serious the situation is over there. WARNING this is very graphic. Everything is shown up to the part where the actually hold his head up in front of the camera. If you don't want to see such graphic violence then don't click the link.

Forty-two

I'd say one step down.

Hear the sound of the left demanding to find out who. Hear the outrage, nada.

Just a year ago you made post after post after post on the topic of Iraq's WMDs. Now you have a new crusade. I hope it turns out to be more accurate than your last one.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So why cant we air this footage as they would have ?

Just curious - What would you do to a rabid dog?

That is my opinion of anyone that would do this.

These people do not value Human life. They know we do. That is our weakness - and those that value life too much without the realisation of the need for sacrifice are at once, our biggest weakness and most powerful enemy.

I actually have a link to a site that is showing the entire video...including the part where they hold the head up in front of the camera. I don't feel that would be appropriate on a public site to post it, but if you PM me I will send you a link to it.

Forty-two

The link that I clicked on showed the whole barbaric thing.

So where are the "Activists" now? Where is Al Sharpton and his grandure way of demeaning our military for it's flaws? Where is Kerry stating that this will not be tolerated? Where is Kennedy? Where are the people that would JUMP THE FUCK UP and defend these animals if it were foiund out that we did this same thing to them? WHERE ARE THEY?

I'll tell you -

Hiding behind thier political agenda. Sad isn't it, that the people that are the most vocal and the most likely to protest fall so silent when it is, even as attrocious as this, against thier morals.

One for John - So are these guys individually responsible for the beheading? Or would you say this goes "all the way to the top" and thus justifying the leadership of the society that bred the individuals. Of course this act is much worse than humiliation (which is also wrong in a much different way).

One might argue that Saddam's society bred this behavior and that this is another justifaction for the invasion.

Now here comes the sophmoric debate about how the society to blame is not their society, but our own (either US or capitalist society depending on how far left the reply is coming from).

I would say find the individuals and not escalate this into a intellectual/political exercise for the extremists, but that hay is already made.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

FAIR WARNING
THE LINK ON SCHNITT'S WEBSITE LINK TO THE ENTIRE VIDEO, INCLUDING THE BEHEADING AND LIFTING OF THE SEVERED HEAD.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Yeah, when they first put it up it was only up to the part where they started cutting. After I posted a link to it they must have changed it. Now it does indeed show it all.

By the way, does anyone else listen to the Shnitt Show? He got known for his morning show on a FM station called the MJ & BJ show. It was pretty hysterical. Now he does an AM political talk radio show. He's a Democrat if you can't tell from his views. Your typical liberal. Nonetheless, I enjoy his show.

Forty-two

This is one of the reasons I am not offended for the abuse we have delivered to the Iraqi prisoners. We roughed up and humiliated men who were involved in doing harm against me and my fellow americans? Good. Should have abused them more. I may be the only one who feels like this, but I'm being completely honest.

Forty-two

One for John - So are these guys individually responsible for the beheading? Or would you say this goes "all the way to the top" and thus justifying the leadership of the society that bred the individuals. Of course this act is much worse than humiliation (which is also wrong in a much different way).

One might argue that Saddam's society bred this behavior and that this is another justifaction for the invasion.

Now here comes the sophmoric debate about how the society to blame is not their society, but our own (either US or capitalist society depending on how far left the reply is coming from).

I would say find the individuals and not escalate this into a intellectual/political exercise for the extremists, but that hay is already made.

It goes all the way to the top. The guy who did this is the top AQ guy in Iraq. This is their stated policy. Of course it goes to the top.

And by the way, he's Jordanian, not an Iraqi. Most likely entered the country AFTER we invaded.

Just an observation,al jazeera website has been "conspicously" silent on the beheading of Nick Berg....while playing up mistreatment and photos related to Abu Ghraib.......lopsided coverage you think?>:(>:(

I noticed that myself, once again reaffirming (to me) that the most effective way to get a balanced view of world events is to draw from many different sources.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)