ChristSkyd

Christian Popularity

So long story short, if you're a good person, you have every right to your beliefs and I would think no less or more of you for those beliefs, but if you shoved it down my throat that I needed to be Christian, I'd walk away and probably never speak to you again.

That says it pretty clearly.

As for the original question - you'll also be unpopular if you go looking for reasons to feel and act like an oppressed class.

I think the quietly religious types are decent and sincere. I also think the vocal and in your face types are not.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Being "shunned" by Christians because you aren't is a indicator of a deeper problem on the "shunner's" part - not one of Christianity - IMO.

You're very right. That's why I said that only being a good person matters, because thats all that does. Beliefs are beliefs, and each person has different beliefs like they have different hair color. But in the end we're all just people, dude!! :)
Still, I think part of it comes from pastors and whatnot preaching that it is their responsibility as Christians to "save" their friends. It's not a bad thing if the person openly wants to accept Jesus and be "saved", but if they don't come to you asking for it, don't tell them they need it. That's all. :)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Generally when someone discovers that I'm not only a Christian, but a pastor, they are surprised. Not because I cuss like a sailor or get drunk with them, but because I don't preach at them. Hey, I'll even toss back a coke while you drink the beer in celebration of the sunset.

However, I've had many of the skydivers attend the church I pastor on their own initiation. I realize to many of my colleagues I'm not a good christian because I don't even invite them to my church. They have to ask me about how to get there first.

This is the way I see it. Jesus said we (Christians) are the SALT of the earth. Salt gives flavor in moderation, but few people want their food drowned in salt. Same thing with Christ as the "living water" You can give a "drink" to thirsty people or you can drown them. [:/]

Whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven ....(Matthew 10:33)

Bill Cole

Great. I'd think the son of the creator of the universe would cut the flawed creatures he made a little more slack, but no... Have an insecure moment - and off to hell for all eternity with you!

Glad I don't follow YOUR god. I'd imagine a little tollerance training wouldn't go amiss. Imagine if every teenager who was embarased by their parents were treated the same way. Jesus. Literally, and in vain, "JESUS!"

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Never had a problem with it, all my friends know about my faith. I respect them they respect me. A couple have even decided they wanted to come to Church with me. It was there decision, I go to the DZ to jump not preach.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

that is a great point about the salt and water.

As a christian, i totaly agree with you here. I am yet to "share the gospel with someone" at my DZ. However i do live my life there in a fassion that i think christ would find exceptable.

sharing christ is not about giving someone the roman road, its about living and your beliefs outload. In other words, witness always, and when nessecary use words.
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

Whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven ....(Matthew 10:33)

Bill Cole

Great. I'd think the son of the creator of the universe would cut the flawed creatures he made a little more slack, but no... Have an insecure moment - and off to hell for all eternity with you!

Glad I don't follow YOUR god. I'd imagine a little tollerance training wouldn't go amiss. Imagine if every teenager who was embarased by their parents were treated the same way. Jesus. Literally, and in vain, "JESUS!"

t

thast the point of forgiveness. We can screw up, but God can still forive us.
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

Jesus said we (Christians) are the SALT of the earth. ]

I often wonder about that. After the 3rd Punic War (149 - 146BC) the Romans burned the city of Carthage and supposedly "salted" the earth around Carthage to ensure that no crops would grow and Carthage could not rise again. As an educated rabbi, Jesus presumably knew of this history.

Given this negative connotation, it seems an odd metaphor.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Given this negative connotation, it seems an odd metaphor.

Salt was vital to those who lived in that time. It was part of the Roman soldier's salary (it was called a salarium) Salt does many things, flavors, pererves, cleanses, but even Christ knew that salt can be corrupted or misused. Then it is good only for "road repair" ;) Mat 5:18

edited because I can't type!

"salted" the earth around Carthage to ensure that no crops would grow and Carthage could not rise again.

I'm no expert..
but my take on that connotation was
a reference to salt being a basic ingredient
for human life and health. :)

But as you point out,
Too much of a good thing.....:$

...I'm not a religious person, I have my
personal beliefs that center more on
Karma than a supreme being.

It works for me...
And I don't delve into any of it at a dropzone.

Nor do any Christians that I've come into
contact with.

Ron included.B|

Being around him in the past and knowing
his background and commitment to his
beliefs...
I have the highest respect for him,
he never pushes anything on anyone...
But instead answered any query with
measured enthusiasm and genuine sincerity.:)

AND is a GREAT designated driver!!!:P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm not afraid to tell anyone my believes. I have discussed them with people at the DZ before. I don't go trying to shove my believes down other's throat, just like I don't appreciate others trying to shove their belives down my throat. If you ask me, I'll tell you. If you don't, I won't say anything. Basically, I am "live and let live."
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

How many Christians at the DZ are afraid to let their skydiving friends know where they stand in their faith for fear of being shunned?

And the related question: How many athiests are afraid to let their skydiving friends know where they stand on faith, for fear of being shunned?

Uh? You talkin' to me?

Where did I say anyone couldn't speak about anything?

In fact, my post was in support of his (anyone's) right to do whatever he feels like as long as he's not annoying anyone.

I think maybe he might've been talking to the people posted just above him for those of us viewing the threads 'flat'. Just guessing cuz it was getting pretty childish right about there.

Pammi

How many Christians at the DZ are afraid to let their skydiving friends know where they stand in their faith for fear of being shunned?

And the related question: How many athiests are afraid to let their skydiving friends know where they stand on faith, for fear of being shunned?

Not I said the fly. I'm not exactly flat out atheist, because I have my ideas and beliefs about the existance god, or fate for me, as an entity. However, I will blatantly say that I am not a Christian. I believe Jesus, while he was a great man, was not the son of God. I do not believe the Bible holds any worth in the real world.

The reason why I normally don't stand up and shout this is, unlike most (NOT ALL) Christians these days, I feel no need to share my beliefs with others if they don't want it (unless asked as in this case), and also because there's no point in starting an argument over something that will not be proven correct or incorrect on either side. It's a losing battle for everyone, just like every religious post I've seen on this site, and the battles our American soldiers are dying in overseas. It's all pointless and will never end. If you wanna believe in Jesus, that's fine by me, but I don't, so don't push it on me.

By the way, Steve, your opinions are very respectable and your mannerism when it comes to preaching outside of the church is wonderful in my opinion. You're a fine example of a human being just for accepting others the way they are, whether they believe the way you do or not, and I truly hope that the people you preach to can learn this valuable lesson from you. Bravo. One day, I'm sure I'll drop by your area to jump, and when that day comes, I'm gonna buy you a beer, coke, or whatever you drink. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

>How many Christians at the DZ are afraid to let their skydiving
>friends know where they stand in their faith for fear of being shunned?

I'm not afraid of being shunned.

Are you a Christian, Bill? I wouldn't have thought so, but now I am curious...

As for the original question... Judging from some of the polls on this forum, I'm guessing around half of the people at most dz's ARE Christian, so I don't know why anyone would be afraid of being shunned because of it... But I can't honestly think of even one time where religion has ever come up in any of my conversations at the dz... I personally don't care what religion anyone believes in as long as they're not trying to force it on me or make laws based on their religion, etc.

>Are you a Christian, Bill? I wouldn't have thought so, but now I am curious...

Yep. Next time I see you at the bomb shelter I'll explain (although such an explanation would probably cause a rapid retreat when the dreaded subject of religion comes up.)

>But I can't honestly think of even one time where religion has ever
> come up in any of my conversations at the dz...

I've had a few really interesting conversations about religion enroute to boogies. Not sure why it seems to come up then.

I agree with Vinny! If the topic ever does come up, I am always willing to share. I've never been shunned or made fun of for my views at the dz
We all have our own opinions, our own beliefs, that's what makes us individuals. As long as you are secure in your beliefs, and stand behind them...then "right on you!" :)

I personally don't care what religion anyone believes in as long as they're not trying to force it on me

If this was a poll, it would read "0 for acting like an overbearing, intrusive dick - 44 against it". All the posters seem to agree that just being a Christian hasn't caused them a problem, just the presentation.

That is what would make a person unpopular on any topic. If someone was constantly harrassing people, they would be unpopular, no surprise. For Christians, would they care? The original question.

Of course, there is a few who do this and don't recognize this in themselves. They feel that they are somehow helping others and that it is appreciated. Nope.