AggieDave

Farm Animals

IMHO, it seems that just about every DZ has a "Farmer McNasty" bordering the DZ fence. Have any of you ever chased any of the animals under canopy while landing? Strangely enough I almost hit a Jack-Rabbit once, but that was a freak happening. I didn't see it till I was almost on top of it and it hadn't noticed me till then, but then it was like *poof*, gone. Yes, I've seen the videos of that guy swooping (and scaring the bajezus) some cows, but I was wondering if any of the DZ.com types had done it. :)
What brought this up is an old T-shirt for the Texas A&M Skydiving Club that has a couple cows on it, one on it's side with a jumper stuck head first in it and another looking at them with a question mark over it's head. The jumper has a "$^%&@!" over his. It's really a damn funny shirt, actually. :)
AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

One of the (ex) pilots at our DZ had to make an emergency landing and ploughed into a cow....dohhhhh.....
And I have also heard of people colliding with birds under canopy....But nothing more exciting than that...
We here in the UK currently have a Foot and Mouth disease crisis anyway - meaning anyone who lands off (regardless of impacting with cows!) could be charged with a £5,000 fine by the ministry of agriculture...that's just for landing in mud that an infected cow might have walked in! Bad news eh?
SB
;)

Hey A & M Dude...
I wouldn't mind having one of those shirts -- sounds pretty cool.
No farm animals, but I did swallow about half a bug while under canopy, on my 7th jump. I got down, but was half-choking, coughing, all red in the face, etc....My JM comes up and asks if I'm all right (he thought I had choked on my chest strap). I told him what happened, and asked what would have happened if I had swallowed a bug in freefall. Now, my JMs were both happy-go-lucky, laughing, joking type guys, but all of a sudden he gets this deadly serious look on his face, and demands that if I EVER swallow a bug in freefall, PULL IMMEDIATELY -- DON'T THINK, DON'T RATIONALIZE, JUST DO IT !! So I look at him with this semi-fearful look, wondering if I missed this topic in the FJC, and ask why. He said "Because bugs don't fly higher than 200 feet !"
The PLF Congressman

if I EVER swallow a bug in freefall, PULL IMMEDIATELY -- DON'T THINK, DON'T RATIONALIZE, JUST DO IT !! So I look at him with this semi-fearful look, wondering if I missed this topic in the FJC, and ask why. He said "Because bugs don't fly higher than 200 feet !"

:D Hilarious!!!
I have never "chased" an animal while landing, but I did, however, end up in a field full of cows (note to self: avoid the steaming piles) and they had quite an interst in me and my pink and blue canopy! :D
Tee

Hey Head Honcho ( or Triple H, if you will...)
I know what the lions would be thinking.....
" Here come those damn big-ass vultures again -- let's tear their asses up !"
Sangiro, did you grow up in Africa ? And, if so, what brought you to the States ?
The PLF Boer

Happily, of all of the "outs" available at my dz, none contain farm animals. I have, however, had the completely awesome experience, on my AFF level 3, I was under canopy and looking around and then down at the landing area. As I looked down, I saw, gliding underneath me by about 20'-50', an awesome big ole brown hawk, Im not sure if he saw me or not, but I was the only canopy in the sky as I was under a big ole 288. I followed him for a bit, just flying above him watching him line up into the wind, it was cool, he kind of helped me with my approach!! But he kept going and I had to land. It was cool though!!! B|
Greg A-37958

I wonder what the cows were thinking ?
"Hey, guys, check out this beautiful, HUMONGOUS butterfly !!

HA HA...probably! At first I was only worried about getting the booties off BEFORE landing as you never know what you may step in. After landing and being surrounded by cows, my worries quickly turned to whether there was a bull around and if he would know the difference between Red and Pink! :D

Kinda off topic....I was reading an article on Troy Hartman (the senseless acts of video guy) in Playboy. Yes, I was actually reading the articles. Anyway, he was a flight instructor at the Air Force Academy. He had a rep for hotdogging, flying under bridges, etc. One day he was buzzing cattle and got too low. He actually fricking hit the cow in a trainer. Killed the cow, crashed the plane, and luckily walked away. But the Academy was not real happy and kicked him out 4 months from graduation. Then he started feeling pretty crappy about himself and started skydiving. Anyway, kinda interesting.
Malachi

Kinda off topic....I was reading an article on Troy Hartman (the senseless acts of video guy) in Playboy. Yes, I was actually reading the articles. Anyway, he was a flight instructor at the Air Force Academy. He had a rep for hotdogging, flying under bridges, etc. One day he was buzzing cattle and got too low. He actually fricking hit the cow in a trainer. Killed the cow, crashed the plane, and luckily walked away. But the Academy was not real happy and kicked him out 4 months from graduation. Then he started feeling pretty crappy about himself and started skydiving. Anyway, kinda interesting.
Malachi

Hmmmm.... what issue was it??? Maybe I should start reading the articles now.B|
Shark

shark,
now, coming from a girl this is going to sound a bit suspicios. but it was the may edition of playboy i believe. if its like all other magazines then they 'put out' a month a head of time. (couldnt resist :) and i know that the troy hartman/playboy thing was current on easter. Cause my cousin had the issue and little did i know that troy hartman was featured in an article there. So, figure out which article was current at easter and youve got your issue.
froggie