Deus

Skydiving Vacation Suggestions

Hello there fellow sky junkies…
I am trying to plan for an upcoming vacation, and originally I had planned on going to Jamaica (Hedonism, oh-yeah!!!), however, while booking the trip I got a warning that it isn't safe for American's to go to Jamaica due to massive riots. Well, this totally offset my plans for naked limbo and hanging out in the glass bottom hottub. Never-the-less, I am still looking for vacationing ideas, and since public nudity is out, I figure I'll go with my other favorite thing to do, SKYDIVING!!!! I am interested in somewhere tropical, Bahamas, Jamaica, etc., and I haven’t been able to find a single place that mentions skydiving… I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions.
Until we meet again in the deep blue sky,
Peace, love and altitude.
Deus

I'm getting pretty set on hanging out in Spain for a week in October. I keep hearing good things about Empuriabrava. Both the jumping and partying sound excellent and the DZ is only about 3K from the beach. I had a favorable report on Spanish women as well!!! I'm also meeting a good friend and his wife that I havent seen in a couple years from Germany. The rooms are cheap and the jumps are a couple dollars cheaper than the States($16). (Ruled out Brazil cause the jumps are like $25) If ya wanna go I'll be nailing down the exact dates around the 10th of August.

Hi -
I know there was a place in Cancun when we went there, but we didn't try it out since we went scuba diving.
I don't know where you live or where your home DZ is, but we absolutely love Skydive Arizona. We went once a few years ago to try it out and we haven't looked back since because we liked it so much though it is probably just too hot there to vacation in the summer months if you're going soon...
Rhonda

Yeah, New Zealand rocks!!!
They have several GORGEOUS dzs in both islands, however, you won't want to go anytime soon. It is the heart of winter down there...and TRUST ME it gets COLD!!
But, during our (northern hemisphere) winter, it is a very beautiful place to jump!
Let me know if and when you do decide to go there and I will give you names and places!!
Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Pyke :P
NZPF A - 2584
USPA C- ?????

I've heard Hawaii is awesome because you have the mountains that drop straight into the ocean, spectacular cliffs, beautiful beaches, and an all around tropical environment. Norway is supposedly pretty cool too- but it may be too cool (maybe even downright cold!).
jhus

One of the DZ's in Hawaii requires a D license at least to jump there due to the nature of the landing area (small) and the winds (Unpredictible). The DZ's are mainly setup for tandems and like 3 DZ's are on the same airport. One of my JM's worked there and said that is pretty, but you got to stay heads up because the winds will change every 2-300 feet.
Whoa... That was cool!

I have to say that if I was going anywhere in the world, I would go to New Zealand or Empuriabrava. Probably NZ, because I have talked to Pyke about it so much I am like in love with the place even though I haven't been there! If you have seen any pics, I think it is much prettier than just about anywhere else you could go, including Hawaii.
Sis
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it." Oscar Wilde

I have done some research on places to jump for a vacation next summer with my wife. Here is what I've found:
Hawaii: You need a D license due to the small area and the winds and ocean. Also, there is not really a DZ close to the major resorts, so if that is your intention, you need to rent a car (I emailed them) and drive the 45 minutes there.
Norway: This place is not really cold as long as you go in the summer time. I traveled in the fjords in '98 and it was in the mid-60's most of the time. The only bad part is the bad weather that is almost daily there. But, if base jumping is in your future, it may be the place to do it!
Cancun: We have settled on going to Cancun. I emailed the DZ and got some info about it. They use a Cessna and you get 10,000 - 10,500ft for $30. You need a B license since it is so close to the beach. The actual DZ is like 20 min from Cancun in Playa del Carmen. There are some sweet places really close to it and also taxis are incredibly cheap. It sounds like a tandem factory, but would still be incredible. I've talked to people down there and they say that they can see the sealife in the water from under canopy.
So, laura and I are going next summer! Woohoo!!! Let me know what you decide!!
Blue ones..
Something completely new...

why not try europe????
like 15 diffrent countries and lots of dz's!!!!!! germany alone has like 20 and it's a small country, belgium has atleast 3 and the netherlands have atleast4 or 5... many more countries too.......... and for the most part the people are all great........

"if dreams are like movies, then memories are like films about ghosts"-counting crows

Soem additional comments...
The DZs at Hawaii do have a relatively small landing area, but nothing extreme. Both of them are located side by side at the north end of Ohahu (the island of Honolulu) and that's correct, its a 45 to 1 hour car ride to there from Honolulu.
Empuria in Spain : can be cold in winter (check out http://www.onlineweather.com/v4/world/europe/Spain/climate/Barcelona.html) but it's an awsome place... and yea... the girls have got awsome behinds... ;)
If you have a bit of time, I'd second Wingnut's suggestion with Europe... Lots of DZs, maybe a bit more expensive, but lots more to do then just jumping if the weather craps out...
Remi

Probably not what you're looking for, but others might be. Not tropical, not just skydiving...but lots and lots of adrenaline.
Tahoe Extreme Adventures I want to do this next year!!
Price includes:
Skydiving
Bungee Jumping
Go-Karting
Paragliding
Whitewater Rafting
Paintball Battles
Ropes Course
Flying Trapeze
Parasailing
Jet-Skiing
Kayaking
Glider Flights
Balloon Rides
Waterskiing
Wakeboarding
Horseback Riding
Summer Ice Skating
Rockclimbing
Mountain Biking
Golf
Ultimate Rush Giant Swing
Tennis
Skateboard Park
Fly-Fishing
Mountainboarding (off-road skateboarding)
Sailing cruise
Hummer off roading
Off-shore speedboat rides
Quad rides (4-wheel drive ATV)
Windsurfing lessons
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

Yeah, New Zealand rocks!!!
They have several GORGEOUS dzs in both islands, however, you won't want to go anytime soon. It is the heart of winter down there...and TRUST ME it gets COLD!!

PYKE, I lived there for over a year working on rescue medical chopper and it doesnt get nearly as cold as it did when I lived in chicago.
but NZ does rock. I am going there I a couple of weeks to visit my old friends...and go watch some rugby.
Marc
A-38578

Thanks for the input everyone... I'm going to check out NZ I think, I have to be very careful... I'm planning this vacation with a whuffo, and while I would be more than happy to surrond the whole trip around falling, she's more interested in Night life and the such... although she said that she'd like to take her first plunge... oh I love it(a virgin)!!!I figure after that, the rest of our vacations will be mutually planned soley around vicinity to the dz and the amount of jumps possible... Well, in my perfect little world anyway... God I miss the sky.
Until we meet again in the deep blue sky,
Peace, love and altitude.
Deus

I don't know about nightlife, but if your whuffo is into nature and stuff, NZ is where it's at. That country has so much to see and do I can't imagine someone not enjoying it, unless they are strictly a city-person. Do a web search and you can find out anything you ever wanted to know about all there is to do there.
Sis
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it." Oscar Wilde

I highly recommend "Virtualtourist.com" for info on whats to see and do in any country around the world. You can even e-mail folks in the area you are planning on going. I have a page there too under "JrSkymonkey" not that it has anything about NZ...lol Havent made it there yet...I hear they have lots of sheep.......

I don't know about nightlife

this place rocks when it comes to night life. I lived in Hamilton, auckland and Palmerston north. Auckland being the largest city with a couple million people and hamilton being the smallest with 150,000 or so and the night life ruled. cheap beer, cheap women(uh just kidding), and a ton of good fun (with and without your clothes on)
as for the nature stuff, how about flying over the north harbour of auckland and watching dolphins everywhere, or snowboarding in the morning and surfing in the afternoon. post cards do not do this place justice. if it was just a bit cheaper to liver there I would still be there....
Marc
A-38578