Zennie

Poll - XGames

Just wanted to bring this up for discussion.
I noticed a lot of folks voted for freefly. I voted for blade running. Here was my thinking.
The question was not what would we most want to see but what would the public want to see. The big problem with such things as freeflying & skysurfing is that the viewing audience is separated from the action. Sure you might be able to rig up special video gear, but people want to be actually sitting there watching the action.
Blade running is fast moving. It's at ground level so the action is right there. There's more of an "ooh aaahhhh" factor going. Heck just listen to the whuffos at the DZ when one of the swoopers come in.
So anyway, while I would personally get more out of watching freefly or skysurfing, I don't think the average layperson would. And no, I'm not a swooper. Nor do I play one on television. ;)
Feel free to voice your disagreement (I'm sure you will :D).
--------
Zennie
"I know the pieces fit. 'Cause I watched them fall away..."
--Tool

Wasn't skysurfing an event a few years back? I seem to remember two-person teams (cameraman and surfer). Judges watched on television sets, scoring based on tricks, difficulty, and presentation.
Maybe this wasn't the X-Games, though. I really thought it was.

Zennie-
I agree with you. I would most like to see freeflying or formation skydiving because I know the skill involved in pulling that stuff off.
The uneducated public would get more thirlls out of swooping because they can see it and readily tell how well someone did.
Whuffos would not be able to tell, even with live tv feed, whether or not everyone on the team was "in" on a particular point.

Yes, Fred Skysurfing WAS on the X-games. They pulled the plug on it this year. I think its being replaced with some dumb shit like mountain biking or something.
I also voted for blade running...it is a great SPECTATOR sport, and people (i.e., whuffos) are impressed by it greatly. I think it would do a lot for skydiving....
Sis
I lust for the ultimate rush...

Thats a good poll. I reckon most whuffos would rather watch base jumping than blade running. Look at the audience that Bridge Day draws every year. This probably wouldn't do much for the sport of skydiving, but I reckon if you show a whuffo that list and ask them what they would prefer to watch, it'd be BASE.

I would have to agree with you Z blade running is something that most whuffos can relate to. I remember when the X games were on and we were in a local bar, I look up and am watching the most amazing skysurf I look over at my friends and say something like look at that is that not unreal and they look up go eh and go right back to beer and conversation. I'm like what the fuck is wrong with you people. This is amazing stuff. They just kinda shrugged it off. It must have stuck in my mind though, cause when I decided to start skydiving, I flashed back and skysurfing and freeflying were the first things I started looking for on the web after incident reports
JG

I voted for FS.
Even though I mostly freefly, I think the rules of FS are not too tricky for the whuffos to understand. And it is afterall the main thing in skydiving (and quite impressive if done properly). Blade Running is more about canopy control. They would probably enjoy it a lot but I'm not sure it will do any good for the sport.
my 2 cents...

Well I think wuffo's want to see someone bounce, so blade running close to the ground is the action they would most likely watch. Pesonally I can't watch a video of FF its just makes me dizzy. I like watch from the air but not the video.

Blade running is good but I voted for wingsuits. It might not be the most popular but it has been open to the public eye for almost 100 years now. It brings the concept of flight closer to people and might inspire them more. Plus its fun as hell!
Safe landings,
Alex D-23912

That was kinda my thinking in voting for CReW Zen. It's something you can watch people do from the ground without special equipment and it looks gorgeous! If I ever get my family to finally watch me jump (yeah right) I'd like to do another CReW jump where they can actually see what I'm doing (or attempting to do anyway!)
Blade running is fun for whuffo's too! Well geez, it even makes ME nervous watching the speeds those guys get! I'd love to see more Freestyle myself. It is a discipline that really interests me as it can be very beautiful, and when you are a skydiver, you know how difficult it is also! To be able to pull off that stuff so gracefully is absolutely amazing to me! But if I got the opportunity to watch it sometime, I'd LOVE to do it in the air! Can you imagine being there beside someone and watching them do that, like that incredible couple who 'dance' together?? I wonder if that's possible to get your fall rate matched with someone doing that???
P
A new page! Bi-Plane pics!

I say we keep skydiving away from the X-Game or the Olympic. Most people just don't have the ability to comprehend what skydiving is all about. There are even hardcore belly flyers out there who have no friggin clue what freeflying is all about--yeah, you can fly on your head, so what.

I dont know, but we need to get SOMETHING back on EXPN... i even wrote them about putting skysurfing back in the x-games. It's considered by some the most extreme sport in the world, and it has always fascinated the public eye when it was aired, so why take it off? I'm pretty pissed about that being an avid skysurfer myself. I can see the logic in "well kids can't just go out on the street and try to skysurf but they can go out and skateboard..." but then again, if its not aired, how will people ever learn anything about the sport?
Blue Skies,
Brittany S!
C-31392

Hey cloud9,
I think you're right. I can already imagine them going: "Whooo look at that one going in !!!".
I don't know if any of you out there jump at Z-hills (florida), but TK hayes (the manager) was over here for a week and showed us his lovely downwind landing at 60 MPH in the pond (and then in the ground :S) and the only thing we had to say was: Holy Sh*t !!
I don't know if it is such a good Idea for advertising the sport... Really good for entertainment not for promotion though...
that is of course if we really want to promote the sport. [question].
Paddy.

Personally, I liked watching FF videos at the DZ when I did my first tandem. I thought it was beautiful and amazing to watch. But one of the things I think that should be included in the judging for both FF and FS is the music put to the video. The soundtrack adds a lot of enjoyment to it and will show the artistic side of the contestants in addition to their athletic skill.
Regarding it not being a true "spectator" sport. If we're talking about the X games, I think they're more interested in the television money then live audiences anyway.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

Britney,
Back when EXPN pulled the plug on Skysurfing the general feelings among most non-freeflyer/skysurfers was that it was a good thing because it was bringing unneeded attention to "Our" sport. I had got into a big fight on Rec. about this issue. They (rec.) felt that by bringing the extra attention to the sport would damage it by allowing more federal regulations and stuff. I think thats completly false. If we are able to raise the public's awareness of us and are able to get more students into the sport that means lower gear and jump ticket prices. It would also increase the saftey of the sport. There are probally products that would help with saftey issues that are not being made since the market is not large enough to make it worth the companies money to make it. Example (riser inserts) It also means that DZ's would be able to operate larger and better maintained aircraft and pilots.
At the recent World Games there were huge crowds in Japan that came out to watch the skydiving events (freestyle, Accuracy, and ?????) Why can't this be the same anywhere else?
Do I HAVE to do another raft dive??? :)

I would have to say blade running. It has a lot of appeal to the general public. It looks cool. It has a very tangible element of risk. IE you see people eat shit. Whether we like it or agree with it fat ass couch potatoes watch extreme sports to see others take risks that they are not willing to themselves. Thats what sells tickets, makes money, and brings sponsors. I think the blade running comps will be both a boom and tragedy to the sport. It will bring in money but we will also watch the injury rate climb as more people attempt to learn this discipline.
"Don't give a F$#ck if I'm comin or leavin"-Pappa Roach
Clay

Zennie --
You're absolutely correct in your assumptions about blade running vs. formation skydiving, skysurf, freefly or CReW when it comes to the average TV viewer.
The main problem with just about anything performed up in the air is that the general public simply can not relate to it. It doesn't matter how difficult it is, if they can't relate to it, they simply will not watch it.
My guess is that if you don't play golf, the worst possible thing to watch on TV during a Sunday afternoon would be . . . golf.
This is the chief reason why NASCAR is so popular, everybody drives. A lot of folks like to speed a little and have Walter Mitty fantasies about speeding a lot. Bumping, pushing and shoving add to the excitement and an occasional non-fatal crash doesn't hurt either.
So, blade running is a different animal than most of our other skydiving activities. It's sort of close to water skiing, flying dreams and the consequences of failure are immediately obvious, not to mention spectacular and takes place right in the live audience's face.
Just like the rest of the X-Games sports, blade running shows an individual's skill in a sport where you don't even have to know the rules to tell if the competitor blew his "trick".
Paul
futurecam.com/skydive.html

I would have to agree with you Z blade running is something that most whuffos can relate to.

I agree that is the key element to getting whuffos to watch. The skydiving discipline has to be something that the whuffos can relate to so that it will stir the excitement in them and keep them watching. If you can't relate is some way, you may lose interest fast!
Tee

The other appeal that NASCAR has, and that blade running would have, is that they can make it look great on TV! Soccer has not caught on in the US because of this, apparently, although I can't say that baseball "looks" all that much better most of the time.
I'm picturing a blade running swooping past the camera in a blur. Hot!
Sure, I'd rather watch freefliers, or even well-done formation stuff, but we aren't the target audience.

I think that what attracts an audience is the patriotic feeling that they get from watching their country kick ass! I think that Americans in general would be interested in any of the skydiving specialties, as long as they saw Americans working together to be the best. I think that this not only goes for the states, but also for other countries as well. As long as the sport is exciting, dramatic, and is highly competitive there will always be an audience. For example, if the U.S. and another country were neck and neck in a skydiving competition, no matter what the specialty, everyone would be watching to see who gets the gold. I think any of the specialties would fit perfectly in the olympics, and might even spice them up a little. If you can win a gold medal for pushing a piece of ice across a frozen pond then, I think they can open the games up to just about anything.

I think that what attracts an audience is the patriotic feeling that they get from watching their country kick ass! I think that Americans in general would be interested in any of the skydiving specialties, as long as they saw Americans working together to be the best.

I think our country DOES kick ass as far as Freeflying goes. Jesus, who has a better team tham Rook and Olav?
And my question here is, and I am feeling rather dumb for asking is, what, exactly is Blade Running? This has honestly never come up at my DZ, dealing with my experience level. Is it swooping?
Love,
Billy
"Light a candle for the sinners---Set the world on fire!"
Marilyn Manson

what, exactly is Blade Running

Blade running is one of the "high speed landings types" of competitions. Think of slalom between airblades, sometimes on a ski slope.
As far as which of these events would spectators like more: probably blade running or swoop competitions.
But I dont think any skydiving will make it back to the x-games.... Allthough they like to think of themselves as "extreme", they probably realized that even with a Cypres and 2 dytters, skydiving kills. The x games being a corporate commercial venture, I dont think they wanted to play that wait till some one drops game any longer. There are so many high profile names of really experienced, really respected people that have died....
The death at the Ranch this week of an experienced swooper doing nothing "wrong" (from what I've read in the repports) shows that any event probably has too much risk for them...
Extreme Games my ass....
As far as the olympics: do we really want to fight for a place against bridge?????
Remi
Muff 914