3fLiEr

Logging stolen air time

After reading a post on BLINC
http://www.blincmagazine.com/forum/board/3337.html
about a guy who has been betrayed by a friend who lied about the BASE he had done (it also mentions a skydiver who padded out a BASE log of 10 jumps (never done) so he could jump Norway - he went in!) I was thinking if I knew of any friends / jumpers I knew who would lie about such things making up jumps to bring up their jump numbers...... I can only think of one person I know who did lie about the number of jumps he had...... tosser......... I beleive skydivers in general do not believe there is any point in "stealin' Altitude" (apart from the reasons in the film of this title) So I would have thought that Skydivers moving along into the channels of BASE would be filtered out to be the most honest of sports jumpers ........ I mean to lie in BASE about jumps you have done is gonna kill you if you get invited onto gnarly cliffs that high time numerous object jumpers will only do............ I was wondering out in the world of skydiving do any of you know of people who have stolen air time?.................
bsbd
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

I know someone who had 5 1/2 hours of freefall time in December. It rained every weekend for the next month straight and he didn't travel. But somehow he had over 6 hours of freefall time in January when he went to the AFF course. Lost any respect I had for him when I found that out.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

if someone is doing this to get a rating or qualify for tandem master, aff instructor or whatever, shouldn't they be reported to the uspa or something to keep them from becoming an instructor of any sort? would you want a loved one jumping with an instructor who didn't have the required experience? anyone can jump out of a plane and land a canopy as long as everything goes by the book. when things go wrong, that's when you find out who really knows what they are doing.... and things will go wrong.
"Jumping out of planes for the thrill of it all."
-J.Geils Band

yeah seen it - it's pathetic.
I've more often seen the opposite for a sad minority of RW jumpers in the UK - they've done the jumps but deliberately not logged them.
Reason? - so they qualify to compete in 'junior' or 'intermediate' competitions. Eligibility is based on jump numbers.
Geoff

Heh, I knew a guy who seemed to instantly fly through his jump numbers...one month he had 200-some, then the next time I saw him he was pushing 500...hmmm He said he'd been going to a different DZ, but the ppl at that DZ I knew said differently...
Either way, he was a very unsafe jumper, so I stayed away from him.
"Alright, at 4500 lets break it, turn 360 and track away..."

I echo what you're saying. If someone pads their log book and then goes and tries to get a rating, shouldn't it show in their skill level? Then the Evaluators and Examinor -should- be able to ferret them out and expose! How embarressing!
If they don't have the time, then they -are- scarey in the sky!
(shutter),
ltdiver

yeah seen it - it's pathetic.
I've more often seen the opposite for a sad minority of RW jumpers in the UK - they've done the jumps but deliberately not logged them.
Reason? - so they qualify to compete in 'junior' or 'intermediate' competitions. Eligibility is based on jump numbers.
Geoff

Yep....... and one team last year in the juniors were investigated about it......... they still hold the meddle but apparently its all a bit suss
bsbd

"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

haha pretty much right on the (lack of ) money ,scratch!
that kinda pisses me off that some one would have the lack of respect to everyone ion our sport to cheat on their...TEST!
I rely on everyone here to be fore front and honest about thier experience. and so far those book fluffing bastards havent been here from what i know!
now i may sound mad(i am, but not at you guys) but if there is someone who is unsafe and/or lying about thier experience, than he/she is a danger to you me and our sport for these reason
danger to you--- if they are at your dz!
danger to me---if they leave your dz.
danger to our sport--if they kill themselves or even worse, someone else!

isnt the whole idea of our community about cutting away all the bullshit that is in the whuffo world. it's about being there with nothing but your wits(too bad for clay) and having fun in the barest form. straight back to the essentials. our sport is REAL!! if someone fakes a jump AT A minimum i think we should stand up for the safety of others and tell em that is not what skydiving is about, if they wanna bullshit about something tell em to do it on the ground(preferably notr at a dz) i dont know, maybe I'm over reacting, but its a disgrace to hear this kinda thing goes on. someone has to be signing the log books.
getting high is fun, but coming down is the best part
JT

I know someone who had 5 1/2 hours of freefall time in December. It rained every weekend for the next month straight and he didn't travel. But somehow he had over 6 hours of freefall time in January when he went to the AFF course. Lost any respect I had for him when I found that out.

I think it's been said enough times around here that number of jumps are a poor evaluation of skill. I think this is just another example.
My personal feeling, is that there's something fundamentally wrong if an AFF Examinaer passes or fails someone simply on number of jumps. My gut feeling is that this doesn't happen anyway. My gut feeling is that the jump number requirements is simply a method for reducing the number of applicants, not judging their qualifications.
I'll admit, I've forged jump numbers. I was going to a very small boogie, had 48 jumps. This boogie had B licence qualifications. I didn't accept that had I managed to get those extra 2 jumps in, I would be safer. So I got out my pen.
After the boogie I tore those pages from my logbook.
I don't think it makes me a bad person, I don't think it was irresponsible, and I don't need it's something I need to apologise for.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

Got your asbestos suit on?

I'm willing to bet that just about everyone here has done something like that in similar situations. i.e. I was one weekend out of currency and I didn't have the money for a currency jump, so I pre-logged a jump 2-weeks before, then jumped it (solo, not doing anything besides falling and pulling high being that rusty...). That's the only time I've done it, though and I didn't feel real great about it, either. Now that my rig situation is working out I'll be jumping enough to start getting better instead of uncurrent.
"Alright, at 4500 lets break it, turn 360 and track away..."

"I was one weekend out of currency and I didn't have the money for a currency jump, so I pre-logged a jump 2-weeks before, then jumped it (solo, not doing anything besides falling and pulling high being that rusty...). That's the only time I've done it, though and I didn't feel real great about it, either."
Never been there myself but can see nothing tooooooo wrong with that, once.
this is a very expensive, additive sport, one which I think, drink, breath, dream about every day, if I ever got to the point of being uncurrent, I would think about the Ink, wouldn't too happy about it, but for a matter of day's (not months) it may be an option, just hope I never get to that point.
"Skydiving's a source, it'll change your life, swear to God"

BTW
Anyone who's got the BALL'S to post on here has my respect, FOR BEING HONEST, in whuffo land people hide behind screens, skidivers stick it in the wind, we are all human after all, driven, if your not open enough to accept that try TEN PIN BOWLING
"Skydiving's a source, it'll change your life, swear to God"